Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Tamiya Boomarang

Calling all RC guys. :p

What do you think of this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TAMIYA-BOOMERANG-BRAND-NEW-BOX-MUST-SEE-58418-/270918145347?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item3f13fad543#ht_500wt_1287

Used to own this and would love to get it again. Is the price ok? Will i be able to find a remote for it as the listing doesn't state it comes with one? Anything i need to know?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance :D

It doesnt come with the radio gear at all, more that just the remote, you need a two channel RC system for it (transmited, receiver, and two servos) which are cheap and easy to find these days. I had the Hornet back in the day, great fun, still got it actually. You will also need the battery pack and charger.

Check out local hobby stores for the price question.

Bear in mind that Tamiya re-released some of their 1980s classics a few years ago, so if it is an original 1980s model kit the price will be a lot higher than if its a recent rerelease of the kit. $400 strikes me as a bit high if its a recent version.

• Administrators

What do you think of this - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TAMIYA-BOOMERANG-BRAND-NEW-BOX-MUST-SEE-58418-/270918145347?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item3f13fad543#ht_500wt_1287

Used to own this and would love to get it again. Is the price ok? Will i be able to find a remote for it as the listing doesn't state it comes with one? Anything i need to know?

Thoughts?

Looks sweet though! I hope to own a Hornet again some day.

What do you think of this -

Thoughts?

yep, rip off

http://www.rc-model.com.au/shop/tamiya/boomerang/4wd/2008-p-90006414.html

tamiya re-released plenty of their original rc's that had mechanical speed controllers some years ago, they still do it now and then

they ditched the mechanical speed controller for and ESC and thats about it. few other minor mods, but the major one is the ESC

dont buy the one on ebay, only if your feeling rich

the one on ebay doesnt say if it had a mechanical speed controller or esc any how, even if it did, way over priced

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Looks sweet though! I hope to own a Hornet again some day.

hornets rock, i had one over 20 years ago, heres the new ones

http://www.rc-model.com.au/shop/tamiya/rtr/hornet-p-3361.html

yep, rip off

http://www.rc-model.com.au/shop/tamiya/boomerang/4wd/2008-p-90006414.html

tamiya re-released plenty of their original rc's that had mechanical speed controllers some years ago, they still do it now and then

they ditched the mechanical speed controller for and ESC and thats about it. few other minor mods, but the major one is the ESC

dont buy the one on ebay, only if your feeling rich

the one on ebay doesnt say if it had a mechanical speed controller or esc any how, even if it did, way over priced

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

hornets rock, i had one over 20 years ago, heres the new ones

http://www.rc-model.com.au/shop/tamiya/rtr/hornet-p-3361.html

Thanks for the info and link Zed.

What else do i need to get this baby going then?

Thanks for the info and link Zed.

What else do i need to get this baby going then?

well i dunno, its a bit hard to tell from the photos if it is complete with radio/esc/reciever or not. but from what i can see it doesnt have these bits and with out them, well you might as well sit on the floor and play with it and push it round like your a toddler with your tonka toys cos it aint gunna do to much otherwise

i just had another look at the photos and it looks like in the second photo theres an esc on the box in the middle on the left side.the radio *might* be in the blueie/greenie type box under it, i dunno, with a bit of luck it might be

you may even need a battery to get it going, just a half decent nimh battery say 3000mah 7.2volt or even a half decent lipo should do the trick

i would contact the seller and see if it is a full RTR kit with radio/reciever etc

however, as i have already stated and shown a link to a new one direct from hong kong at less then half the price, i still wouldnt touch this car with a barge pole simply as it is so over priced its not funny

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

we could call them EM and SS speed controllers:laugh:

i do like your logic

electro mechanical and solid state

ESC means - electronic speed controller;)

Thanks for the info. I was actually referring to the link YOU supplied and what was needed to get it going not my eBay link.

It states that i need - 2-channel R/C system, 7.2V battery and charger separately required. Is that all?

DOH!!! my bad, sorry:redface

yeah should be it, they should come with a motor in the box. nothing flash they are just a mabuschi rs-540

http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-bin/catalog/e_catalog.cgi?CAT_ID=rs_540sh

just about any old 2 channel radio/receiver will do the trick, infaact i have a traxxas 27Mhz radio/reciever in my shed you can have for $30, that included postage, and it will work nicely with it

just about any old 2 channel radio/receiver will do the trick, infaact i have a traxxas 27Mhz radio/reciever in my shed you can have for $30, that included postage, and it will work nicely with it

Might take you up on the that offer. Wow, some of those prices on the receiver's :o Do they drive the thing for you :laugh:

Yeah thats a re-issue, I recently bought (now sold) the hornet re-issue, inside of box was identical almost....its in too good nick to be original -

but yes a transmitter receiver kit floats around $120 - just a standard Sanwa will do you fine...

• 1 month later...

A bit late, but I'd love to have a Boomerang.

RC Mushroom had them for $145.00 these.

Original - 58055 The Boomerang (1986)

Re-Release - 58418 The Boomerang (2008)

So even finding a re-re is going to be hard.

I've got a Frog, a Super Hotshot (Was a Supershot) coming..

and contemplating getting a Hotshot.

They all come with ESC, and one servo. Usually you need a servo for steering and a receiver / Transmitter

Ahem as mention a few post up rc mushroom don't have any more. Click on the Boomerang and shows no stock when ordering. RC Mart and also Stellar models don't have any :(

Problem was / is Boomerang re release was only done in one batch! the Hotshot was done in 3 batches I believe! That's why you can Still get the Hotshot....

BTW got the Hotshot from Tower. $45 dollars off voucher for international buyers, $10 off shipping and to my surprise I had been given $65 credit for previous problem with my Futaba 4pl which had to be sent back (was postage costs)

This thread has inspired my to pull out the Frog this weekend.

Jardine, there was a Hornet on sale @ Toyworld Eastland back in December....ring em up.

I have a mate who owns a Toyworld. Might have to hit him up for a model and price starting to get impatient

theres a good chance i will be going to our toyworld today to get some stuff. i will have a lookie on their shelf and chat to they guys there who work in that section.i visit the shop regularly, i should be on their payroll:lol