New Bird T-Rex 550E 3GX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bird T-Rex 550E 3GX

Arrived in the post today here's a few pre build pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0386.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1865814

Name:	IMAG0387.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1865815

Name:	IMAG0388.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1865816
    Size Difference between a Walkera V200d03

Name:	IMAG0391.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1865819
    ESC, Servos's and Motor

Name:	IMAG0392.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1865820

Name:	IMAG0393.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1865821
    The head is almost as big as my V120d02s!

Name:	IMAG0390.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1865818
    Tail Boom and Rotor Blade size difference

Name:	IMAG0389.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1865817

Nick64 with the Big arse canopy

Name:	IMAG0395.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1865822
    I've worked out the connections from the 3GX to the RX801 for the Devo 8 I'm using.

Just waiting on the battery's and swash levelling tool and I'm set.

Holy crap AK, that's a quality piece of kit!

Grab yourself some training gear, it will save you lots of dosh.
    SEGA love: | Nintendo love:
    PC Engine love: | Latest retro finds:

Comment

First time a mate tried his....Well lets just say it wasn't pretty and I,m not supposed to talk about it.

Bloody funny though
      PINBALL gotta love it

"There's no such thing as too much bling" Scott

Comment

When you get to this size of heli, they can be lethal. You'd be surprised at how many people lack common sense.

Comment

There's no doubt in my mind how dangerous this thing will be however it will NEVER be flown when others are around.
          I was tossing up between this and the 450 but the general consensus is the 550e is the most stable choice and can handle decent wind so I paid the extra.

There's a picture of me in the manual.

Name:	IMAG0396.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1788237

Comment

The bigger ones are more stable at hover, and tend to display less random behaviour. They also have a lot higher head speed and movement speed, so take it easy. Just practice getting it light on the skids at first, then take off's and landings. Don't move on from here until you have mastered it. Then move onto hovering for extended periods of time, always tail in at first. Keep progressing in this fashion and you and your heli will be safe.

Comment

I've been logging a lot of time on Phoenix RC and its something I should have done from the get go.
              I can also HIGHLY recommend buying John Salt's E-Books particularly this one Setup & Tips For RC Helis

Comment

Checks outside for wind.......hmm no wind so you can't fly it today Trav

Thats an awesome mugshot of Nick LOL!

Brad
                My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                  I've been logging a lot of time on Phoenix RC and its something I should have done from the get go.
                  Good on you Trav! Its really necessary if you don't want to spend many hours rebuilding, and tones of cash on parts.

---------- Post added at 05:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 AM ----------

Originally posted by Frank_fjs View Post
                  Just practice getting it light on the skids at first,
                  No No No, that is the worst thing you can do, sorry Frank
                  Getting a big heli just off the skids is bad, and will lead to rotor and tail strikes. If you do this, the heli will be in ground effect, which light weight helis don't like at all. It will be hard to stabilize, and more than likely hit the deck very quickly.

Get the heli up to around 2 to 2 and a half feet on initial throttle. It will then be out of ground effect, and much more stable to hover.

Comment

Made a bit of progress last night, I have to say I had forgotten how much I enjoy assembling model and RC gear, really its half the fun.

Name:	IMAG0397.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	1788246 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0399.jpg
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1788247 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0401.jpg
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1788248
                    It took me about 3 to get to this stage. The body is assembled and head built.
                    Need to go out this morning and get some more loctite and CA glue.

Comment

Comment

it was pretty bloody windy that day too.

Comment

Nice work on getting it built and flown Trav! Get it up and out of ground effect brother. Flipping it into stunt 1 will make the wind near non existent in that situation

Comment

Weather has been shit mate so I've haven't been able to take my new bird out for its first spin. Hovering in the front yard is about all shes had so far and even that was done on a very windy day to show the boys.
                            Having said that I'm very happy with the stability, I made sure everything was set perfectly before trying to power is up and it paid off. I probably spent 20+ hours on my first build and set up. I decided to buy an RC Logger digital pitch gauge which made setting the pitches a breeze, highly recommended.

What sort of Radio do you use mate? I now regret buying Walkera, the quality is just atrocious compared to Align and its worth paying the extra money.
                            Trying to decide on a DX8 or Aurora 9

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                              Weather has been shit mate so I've haven't been able to take my new bird out for its first spin. Hovering in the front yard is about all shes had so far and even that was done on a very windy day to show the boys.
                              Having said that I'm very happy with the stability, I made sure everything was set perfectly before trying to power is up and it paid off. I probably spent 20+ hours on my first build and set up. I decided to buy an RC Logger digital pitch gauge which made setting the pitches a breeze, highly recommended.

What sort of Radio do you use mate? I now regret buying Walkera, the quality is just atrocious compared to Align and its worth paying the extra money.
                              Trying to decide on a DX8 or Aurora 9
                              Hey Trav, i will recommend Spectrum TX's till i die! I have, and many others ( 90% at my flying field ) all use the DX7. Some have moved to the DX8 and are very happy with them. I cant comment on the 8, as i haven't used one as yet. But from what ive heard, its up to Spectrum standards. There were a few glitches with them at first, but as far as i know these have been rectified.

I will double check that for you.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X