Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

RC Helicopters

Anyone here into electric radio controlled helicopters?

I used to be into cars, both electric & gas, in a big way but that was a long time ago. Have also built and flown gas powered planes too, but that was also a long time ago.

Now it looks like helis will be the new fad. I've ordered a Syma S107 and a Pheonix 6010, hopefully they arrive in a couple of weeks.

Originally, I had heard good things about the Syma but apparently they changed a circuit board in later revisions that really restricts their flight. For this reason I have ordered a 6010 as well, in case my Syma is a dud.

These are both classified as 'toys' but they are cheap (around $30 each) and I wanted to learn on something that I can crash without fear. They're quite tiny and designed for indoor flight too, should be fun chasing the dogs with it down the hallway or trying to land it on the wife's head.

Will be looking into getting something more advanced once I'm bored with these two (knowing me, that will take all of 2 weeks). Looking at a blade, not sure which one yet, still learning all the jargon (single rotor, coaxial, 3ch, 4ch, bla bla bla).

Here are some short, to the point videos of the helis that I have ordered:

If anyone else here is into them, I'd love for you to impart your wisdom.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are literally thousands of Chinese companies churning these out - I wouldn't place much 'value' on ANY name attached to them as there are all sorts of "copies of copies of copies" all over the place.

Good fun and amazing value for $30 though, regardless - you have to admit!

Started out on coaxial helis, lots of fun. Then moved on to Honey Bee King2 collective pitch 6 channel. Now fly regularly at the Phantom Flyers club using TRex450, TRex 500, TRex 550 Hurricane 550 all lipo helis. In a few weeks will be going inverted on a TRex 700 nitro, now that will be fun.

I wouldn't bother with the Blade CP. Once you are done with the coaxials, go to a TRex 450. Its a rock solid heli and forgiving for a beginner. You will need a decent balanced charger, and get yourself a Futaba 401 gyro.

A decent transmitter is a Spektrum DX7, and they are around $200 atm.......CHEAP.

Anyway have fun with the coaxials, then move on to CP.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SPEKTRUM-DX7-7-Channel-HELI-Transmitter-SPMR7710-MODE-2-/130444417185?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5f17d8a1

There are 4 modes to choose from, the most common being mode1 and 2. You can learn on mode1 but you wont be able to change easily. The different modes relate to what the sticks do. Id suggest mode2, which is more than likely what your coaxials will be. Just ask if you have questions mate, you can learn from my mistakes:lol

http://i55.tinypic.com/2czbpk2.jpg

Thanks!

I'm familiar with mode 2 from my plane flying days and it makes sense to me, so I'll stick with that.

Is there a site that explains all the different types of helis? E.g. different channels, coax, single rotor, fixed pitch etc?

Lastly, know of any good places to buy from online? The local hobby stores near me are a complete rip off.

Is there a site that explains all the different types of helis? E.g. different channels, coax, single rotor, fixed pitch etc?

Lastly, know of any good places to buy from online? The local hobby stores near me are a complete rip off.

http://www.helifreak.com/ The Bible! Plenty of links to reputable sellers there as well.

The first of the two helicopters that I ordered came in today, the Phantom 6010.

Very impressive, first flight was a blast. It flies very well, very stable and a lot of control.

I'll post pics and more info once I've had more of a play...

Here's a picture of what you get for $35 landed with the Phantom 6010 helicopter.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/fjs/6010.jpg

Ordered off of eBay, from Hong Kong, took a week and two days to get here.

Plenty of spare parts to keep you going in the event of a nasty crash. Mind you, this particular model seems quite resilient to damage. As long as you cut the power before dropping (so that the blades aren't spinning when you hit something) you should be fine, especially on carpet.

Takes 20 minutes to charge via USB, you get between 5-8 minutes flight time, pending on how you fly. It's best to restrict flights to 5 minutes in order to maximise the lifetime of the battery, also a good idea to allow for a 5 minute cool down period before flying once charged and also after charging.

Remote takes 6 x AA batteries. You have 3 channels, so up/down, pivot left/right, forward and reverse. There's also a turbo button which gives you a nice speed boost when flying forwards, easy for it to get away from you though if you're in a confined space. Heaps of fun to build up speed and then bank into a corner. Remote also has trim adjustments if necessary.

It's really easy to fly and hovers + manoeuvres extremely well. Built in gyro keeps things very predictable and stable.

Here's a video of my first flight. Nothing fancy, just getting a feel for it here. Observant people will notice the helicopter going off screen and then coming back on screen in an impossible way. I'm not a magician, I simply edited the video as there was a lot of time where the heli was not in view of the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=One2vSHGDY4

Great stocking filler guys, plenty of fun for yourself too. Highly recommended.

I also have a Syma S107 on the way too, which is very similar and a bit cheaper at $24 landed. Will let you know how this compares.

Nice. I've been looking at these the last week or so myself. Funny the one I was almost set on is the same black 6010. Still deciding though. Like the idea of a 4ch 2.4GHz but much more pricey. Maybe get an IR one to play with and decide if I want to go the extra expense, and of course get the young bloke one for X-Mas.

I would suggest getting one of the cheap toy ones first, to practice on.

As far as cheap coaxial (easy to control but limited in manoeuvrability) 3ch IR ones go, these two seem to be the best:

Syma S107 - $24 landed but not much in the way of spares. eBay link

Phantom 6010 - $35 landed. Lots of spares, love the pimped out look of black and gold, a little faster than the S107 and has a turbo button. eBay link

If you want a cheap 2.4GHz 4ch coaxial, this one is apparently okay.

For a better 2.4GHz 4ch coaxial, this one is a decent flyer for around $80 landed.

Lastly, when you get more serious and want something that's more than a toy, I've been told that the Blade MCX (coax) or Blade MSR (single rotor) are the way to go.

I just ordered a pair of the 6010s from the same seller but using one of his US auctions (saved about $3 each). Also ordered a couple of his spares kits mainly for the spare batteries but cannot hurt to have more parts. Seeing as one is for my son, I'm sure he'll break plenty of bits.

Am interested to see how they go with the gyro. Only helis I've had have been without one plus single rotor and I still managed some control so this should be way easier.

Nice one!

It does come with 1 spare battery but you can never have enough. I've been told by guys on some RC forums that if you limit flight time to 5 minutes (as to not completely drain the battery) and allow a 5 minute cool down after flying and before charging again, and additionally another 5 minutes once finished charging (to let the battery cool down) your battery will last a long time.

This is my first heli, and the gyro makes it dead set easy to fly. I'm flying it in my computer room now, which is a small 3rd bedroom, and it's super easy to control, even in confined spaces. It pretty much hovers without any input.

Just a heads up, when you get yours and go to charge it, here's how it works. An led will light up red on the USB cable when it's NOT charging. When you plug it in to your PC the led turns off to indicate that it is charging. Once it finishes charging the led turns on again. I mention this as the instructions state the opposite.

Edit: re crashing and your son, teach him to kill the throttle upon crashing and you'll be surprised at how much of a beating that these things can take.

Mate, you're not dreaming big enough (love the sound of a jet engine):

Nah, had enough of fuel powered RC. I'll stick to electric from now on. I would like a turbine though.....

By the way, Kmart appear to have (re-branded?) 6010's for $25. It's in their online catalogue (page 14).

Of course they do! :hissyfit:

Lastly, when you get more serious and want something that's more than a toy, I've been told that the Blade MCX (coax) or Blade MSR (single rotor) are the way to go.

This heli is very much still a toy mate.

Don't get too used to coaxials if you are serious about moving to a collective pitch heli, its chalk and cheese mate. You would be better off using a sim( and i strongly recommend that ) when wanting to move to real heli flight:)

I was thinking of getting a Revell Proto Max next. It's cheap, 4ch, and a single rotor. I know it's still a toy but regardless, it's a step up and will progressively teach me how to handle a more 'responsive' helicopter - without spending too much money.

I figure my next step will be learning a 4 channel heli, perhaps another coax and then a fixed pitch.

Once I learn how to handle a 4 channel single rotor fixed pitch, aggressively, I was then going to step up to the big boys.

This heli is very much still a toy mate.

Don't get too used to coaxials if you are serious about moving to a collective pitch heli, its chalk and cheese mate. You would be better off using a sim( and i strongly recommend that ) when wanting to move to real heli flight:)

That's why I figured the little Walkera CB100 or something similar would be a suitable next step.

Viper mate, picked up a couple from Kmart. All good, original 6010 in different packaging. Even came with 6 x AA batteries. Build quality is a lot higher and it flies better than the one I got from Hong Kong, but the Hong Kong one is still okay - just different I suppose.