Calling iphone/GPS gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling iphone/GPS gurus

I'm about to get a new phone for my wife and one that we might just be able to convince Telstra (need NextG) to give us is an iphone. My main question is - how much data is downloaded when using the GPS for turn by turn guidance?

I have a nokia E52 with this as completely free (no data download and non-assisted GPS) but i understand the iphones can't/won't do this.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions/comments on the phone or GPS application?

The other alternative is to get another E52 so we only need one charger etc.

Thanks

Rob

I would give iPhones a very wide berth as they are far too easy to break - especially the screen and that basically writes them off.

Not worth the agro for me.

Comment

The recent leaked of the new iphone looks great I think.
      The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

HTC Desire for me please!

Comment

Originally posted by Homepin View Post
          I would give iPhones a very wide berth as they are far too easy to break - especially the screen and that basically writes them off.

Not worth the agro for me.
          my mates is unbreakable, he works construction so its ideal. we threw it in a bloody dam and it survived after 10minutes.

but i can see the advantages of an iphone, only problem is u cant text and drive hahaah
          <a href="www.priceearthmoving.com.au">mini excavator hire and constructions </a>

Comment

Originally posted by dracer View Post
            only problem is u cant text and drive hahaah
            Of course you can......
            Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

if you're getting the iPhone 3gs, you won't use any of your data as it has an actual gps chip built into to connect with the satellites. I heard people who kept sayint ehy're crap & break easy, but I could never do without mine now, it's great, I have all the tom tom nac software along with 5 others and have jail broken it so can get all the cool games and apps I want for free
              Could I please have a Honey Rollover & Lettuce On Top

Comment

I have heard from others that own an iphone that the GPS capability drains the batteries REALLY quick. One guy had it on GPS while hiking and after going for a few miles, his phone was dead. He was really bummed because it was his camera too. If you're going to use it in your car and have it plugged in, that won't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ppohlman View Post
                  I have heard from others that own an iphone that the GPS capability drains the batteries REALLY quick. One guy had it on GPS while hiking and after going for a few miles, his phone was dead. He was really bummed because it was his camera too. If you're going to use it in your car and have it plugged in, that won't be an issue.

The gps does use more battery power as expected, but I'd say if you're friend was hiking, it wouldn't be the gps sucking it down, I'd think it would be his 3g searching for a stronger signal. In bad reception areas with 3g on, can really suck the life out of most phones.
                  Could I please have a Honey Rollover & Lettuce On Top

Comment

I have had my iPhone 3G for nearly 2 years now (got one right away as my plan was up)

Anyway, I had to have it replaced 3 times because of faults. The current one gets no more workout than being in my pocket and I again have air bubbles under the screen in 3 places.

The battery life is near on a joke, there are a few bugs and the button needs about 4 presses before it is recognised.

TBH it was really good when I first got it. Absolutely loved it, but as with all phones, ones the shimmer goes away, you can't wait to get rid of it. I just hope the Google Nexus one comes out here within the next few months and i will jump on that
                    Even I ignore me

Comment

Originally posted by Zorn View Post
                      if you're getting the iPhone 3gs, you won't use any of your data as it has an actual gps chip built into to connect with the satellites. I heard people who kept sayint ehy're crap & break easy, but I could never do without mine now, it's great, I have all the tom tom nac software along with 5 others and have jail broken it so can get all the cool games and apps I want for free
                      Umm... No. Be careful what you advise here!

The Iphone has no MAP DATA natively - that is downloaded via 3g from google maps as you go.

If you have Jailbroken it and have alternate nav progs/data on it then yes yo won't have data charges, but as delivered a retail unmodified product will have to use 3g to get map data.

What I have not been able to find out from others is how much data is used for the map function. I guess it depends on how far you move (keep still and no new data needed - drive across the state and a lot of data needed).

Cheers
                      Jacob

Cheers
                      Jacob

Comment

Congrats to Apple for being able to con so many yet again!

What sort of device like this has a battery wired in? Only Apple. With others a battery swap and away you go. Not Apple, you now have a brick!

What sort of company gives you a used (read, previously returned faulty) replacement when you take your phone for warranty repair? Only Apple

What a complete con!!!!!

The Apple name tricks some yet again.

Comment

Disclaimer: I have no apple gear other than a Dick Smith CAT (apple ][ clone) and a sticker.

Congrats to Apple for being able to con so many yet again!

What sort of device like this has a battery wired in? Only Apple. With others a battery swap and away you go. Not Apple, you now have a brick!
                          While I don't agree with their philosophy here 100% (and for sure there is a big fat margin component too) their claim is to prevent any 3rd party issues, like Nokia has with pirate batteries. I'll be honest and say I cannot trust buying ANY nokia replacement battery - there really is no way to tell anymore. Nokia even put a scratch-off hidden serial on every battery to verify via their website. That hologram, scratch off and serial data was on the dodgy stuff within weeks...

Normally I would not get too peeved (yay - hit the big bad corporation) but the pirate batteries are 3rd rate crap

What sort of company gives you a used (read, previously returned faulty) replacement when you take your phone for warranty repair? Only Apple
                          Sigh. If it was only apple. I hate it with a passion, but many places do that now. Ever had a dead xbox 360? MS will send you a refurb. The list goes on...

Cheers
                          Jacob

Comment

How many pirate Apple iPhone batts would you like? They are a dime a dozen anyway (well, actually around $4 each) so the concept of buiding it in hasn't stopped 'copy batteries'.

Comment

Originally posted by Homepin View Post
                              How many pirate Apple iPhone batts would you like? They are a dime a dozen anyway (well, actually around $4 each) so the concept of buiding it in hasn't stopped 'copy batteries'.
                              heh, I wasn't saying it stopped them - but it clearly delineates the copies from the originals. You can't say that for a lot of the other batteries out there. If anyone other than apple is offering you a battery, it is most likely to be a knockoff.

I have bought a battery from an optus store for a nokia years ago - turned out to be a copy - one of many that have entered way up in the supply chain.

Again, I didn't say I agree - it is their statement. I can see it being an OK reason, but I also believe it is spin - as their real interest as you say is to lock you in. Even better as a lot of iPeople I know use the dead battery as an excuse to upgrade to the latest iDoodad...

PS I would love a good source of cheap lipo's for projects - but ebay is full of lQQk!!11! RARE 400,000mah cells which probably are already puffed and may hold 200mah if you are lucky

Cheers
                              Jacob

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X