GPS recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS recommendations

Traveling out west NSW, and then onto ACT next week. Looking at GPS to make it easier. I want to spend 200-250 on a new unit. Looking at DSE and JB Hifi. Cheap units they have are Navman F15 200 bucks with bonus 2009 maps (valued at 179 wtf). http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/D4273

JB have http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigation/gps/

Garmin 218 bucks, looks a better unit.........but what maps should I expect to get? Anyone know the costs to update these things? I confess to know stuff-all about these things, anyone recommend something good/lower priced that I can buy off shelf this week?
    Cheers

i used a navman (my brother's so i have no idea on the model) recently on a drive from Sydney to Byron and back and it was a pretty decent little unit - accurate maps, good directions
    Ric
    looking for:
    the baseboard for a Gottlieb Royal Guard
    Zaccaria Devil Riders Backglass
    Williams OXO, GTB Volcano

Comment

I bought a Tom Tom wide screen unit so that the menu can go on one side, and not chew up too much screen real estate. I think it's an "XL One" model and was $365 at the time.
      "Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"

Comment

didnt give yourself much time - but never buy a navman - cost of updates are prohibitive. I buy all my navs from dealextreme - no good for you as time constraints. If you had time on your hands i could help u
        Pinball Meets...I love em

Comment

+1 for Tom Tom - Very easy to navigate and I believe it's the quickest on the market to adjust routes as you go. Eg, take the wrong turn and it picks it up and changes the planned route instantly to avoid turnarounds and stuff.

I'll be getting another
          Pins - Star Trek: The Next Generation
          Arcade - 26" LAI with SFII CE, SF vs Xmen, Marvel Vs Capcom, Marvel Vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter Zero 2
          Neo Geo - MV-2F, MV-1C - 100-in-1, World Heroes, Super Sidekicks 2, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting

Comment

Looking like the Tom Tom is the unit, I will pick one up today.

Yep Jas those dealextreme units would be the go, just did think about GPS till yesterday.

Comment

I have had no dramas with my Tom Tom !

Comment

I'm going to tomorrow to get this one
                http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/porta...t-model/389265

After mine got knocked off...(note to self...and everyone, don't leave your car unlocked in a dodgy area at night)
                Arcade - 26" LAI with SFII CE, SF vs Xmen, Marvel Vs Capcom, Marvel Vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter Zero 2
                Neo Geo - MV-2F, MV-1C - 100-in-1, World Heroes, Super Sidekicks 2, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting

Comment

yeah I have a navman, I can spend $20 less on buying a new unit instead of updating the maps

Insane prices for updates. bah.

Unit works ok though, and my last gregories was about 8 years old so I suppose I don't need to upgrade the maps that often.

I am happy with it's stability... my bro bought an off-brand unit, and spent months playing with the different nav apps (all pirate that came with it) to get a stable one... he ended up buying a tomtom as the other unit used to hang or just lose it's marbles during inconvenient times...

Cheers
                  Jacob

Comment

Went to JB, compared the Tom Tom to the Garvin. Garvin 30 bucks cheaper and has all the same capabilities so got it. Updated it easily, and is very easy to use.

Comment

Garmin ?

Comment

I got a unit from Dealextreme.com and they are pretty good. They now have 5" ones with Bluetooth for just over $100US. You can load whatever maps and software you like onto them. The good thing is updates to all software is free if you knwo where to look.. hehe

Comment

buy a windows CE5.0 based device

then use www.gpspassion.com forums

hack it to run anything you want,

I've a cheapo $99 laser unit running the latest tomtom far better than my actual tomtomXL did

sat-navs mostly nowadays are generic windows machines with a GPS bolted on!

Comment

Originally posted by Bendragon View Post
                            Garmin ?
                            yeah thats him

Comment

Originally posted by bleugh View Post
                              buy a windows ce5.0 based device

then use www.gpspassion.com forums

hack it to run anything you want,

i've a cheapo $99 laser unit running the latest tomtom far better than my actual tomtomxl did

sat-navs mostly nowadays are generic windows machines with a gps bolted on!
                              +1
                              "You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today.
                              They left a little note on the windscreen.
                              It said, 'Parking Fine.' So that was nice."

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X