Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

GPS recommendations

Traveling out west NSW, and then onto ACT next week. Looking at GPS to make it easier. I want to spend 200-250 on a new unit. Looking at DSE and JB Hifi. Cheap units they have are Navman F15 200 bucks with bonus 2009 maps (valued at 179 wtf). http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4a5d19c51344d684273fc0a87e0106be/Product/View/D4273

JB have http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigation/gps/

Garmin 218 bucks, looks a better unit.........but what maps should I expect to get? Anyone know the costs to update these things? I confess to know stuff-all about these things, anyone recommend something good/lower priced that I can buy off shelf this week?

Cheers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used a navman (my brother's so i have no idea on the model) recently on a drive from Sydney to Byron and back and it was a pretty decent little unit - accurate maps, good directions

didnt give yourself much time - but never buy a navman - cost of updates are prohibitive. I buy all my navs from dealextreme - no good for you as time constraints. If you had time on your hands i could help u :(

+1 for Tom Tom - Very easy to navigate and I believe it's the quickest on the market to adjust routes as you go. Eg, take the wrong turn and it picks it up and changes the planned route instantly to avoid turnarounds and stuff.

I'll be getting another

yeah I have a navman, I can spend $20 less on buying a new unit instead of updating the maps:realmad:

Insane prices for updates. bah.

Unit works ok though, and my last gregories was about 8 years old so I suppose I don't need to upgrade the maps that often.

I am happy with it's stability... my bro bought an off-brand unit, and spent months playing with the different nav apps (all pirate that came with it) to get a stable one... he ended up buying a tomtom as the other unit used to hang or just lose it's marbles during inconvenient times...

Cheers

Jacob

I got a unit from Dealextreme.com and they are pretty good. They now have 5" ones with Bluetooth for just over $100US. You can load whatever maps and software you like onto them. The good thing is updates to all software is free if you knwo where to look.. hehe

buy a windows CE5.0 based device

then use http://www.gpspassion.com forums

hack it to run anything you want,

I've a cheapo $99 laser unit running the latest tomtom far better than my actual tomtomXL did

sat-navs mostly nowadays are generic windows machines with a GPS bolted on!

You legend, I have one of those Laser Navig8r units. Wanted to hack it for ages. How did you do it?

But for work I use a Garmin Nuvi 760. Brilliant unit.

Edited by Simon_A
Hmm

• 11 months later...

*bump*

Has anyone modified the 'Go Cruise' GPS units from Aldi?

I've been given one with the crap Route66 software on board and was looking at hacking it.

Running WinCE I'll try and get it to run an alternative from the SD card.

didnt give yourself much time - but never buy a navman - cost of updates are prohibitive. I buy all my navs from dealextreme - no good for you as time constraints. If you had time on your hands i could help u :(

hey acejas. Which models on deal extreme do you recommend (with links if possible). I'm after one with blue tooth and obviosuly to be able to update to latest maps.

i don't know much about them but have been keen to get one for ages. Turn by turn voice guidance would be good also but don;t know if deal extreme would have models for that as well cheap? :unsure

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.31997

This is the 4gb version which I buy but there is a 2gb version. Ive bought 5 of these and have had no faulty or not working units.

You could go for the 2gb version but i cant find that model. Also you could get any 400mhz model but then you might have trouble with TTS (text to speech) and cant run multiple gps's (tom tom, oziexplorer, igo 8 etc)

• 1 month later...