Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mobile Phones

If price wasn't an issue what phone would you own ? and do you already have it ?

Any iPhone or other touch phone owners , be interested to hear your thought as well , are they practical or problem for normal usage ?

I just got a Nokia E51 after selling my Samsung Omni touchscreen phone.

The omnia was awful in terms of battery life, the touchscreen was accurate but the menu system was so small and awful i found the phone to be a chore to use.

From the short time i have spent with them the I-phones are alot easier to use and more intuitive.

In short - stay away from the Omnia

a phone that can bounce

id love one like that

There is a 'tradesmans' phone that can bounce, dropped in water etc etc....almost unbreakable within reason.....

Will try and find name of it.

I use the apple iphone, i find its really good, easy to use, i did have to jailbreak it to use bluetooth and mms, but in an official apple release shortly it will all be opened up anyway :)

• Administrators

I've used the Blackberry Bold and it's damn nice.

I currently also have a Palm Treo 750 and an LG Viewty Touchscreen. BOth are good phones with email capability and web browsing. Both have touchscreen but the palm also has a real keyboard. The Palm is really a corporate model and pretty heavy but good at what it does with Office apps viewing, editing included.

The LG is all touchscreen and very nice. Works well, intuitive menu and the model I have is also a 5Megapixel Digital camera with awesome clarity and features. I got mine on a 3 $29.00 cap plan. Damn good value.

Brad

I have been and still am I suppose a fan of Nokia phones. I've had LG's, Ericsson's, NEC's (first phone was an analog NEC which everyone thought was stupid 'why would you want a mobile phone ya yuppy prick' was a frequent response when people knew I had one), Panasonic's and Motorola's. Every time I've gone back to Nokia and I still have most of them in working order (those I haven't given away to family and friends or dropped to many times). Most are the phones with the good old pop port and I've got about 6 that are all different models but the batteries are all interchangeable on.

Anyway, for a new phone I was looking at the new Nokia touch phone but in all honesty it seemed a bit of a let down. I am an Apple fan too so really wanted to like the iPhone but the size really put me off. I instead purchased a cheap Chinese mini iPhone knockoff just to see if I'd even like the touch screen thing and as I like stuff that is miniature it seemed pretty cool. The mini was OK and I liked the touch screen but the software let it down. In the end about two weeks ago I went out and bought an iPhone (while you could still get it on a $49 cap for free).

Gotta say it's very close to the best phone I've ever had. The touch is very good and the way they've made the software work is really cool. eg. when you are on a long call and the screen goes blank, if you move the phone away from your face to do something on the screen (hang up, look for contacts, enter tones etc.) the accelerometer notices the sudden change in movement and re-activates the screen, a simple thing I know but no other phone has done it and it is very useful.

The way it sync's with iTunes at first seems like a pain if you are not a fan of iTunes but iTunes syncs my Outlook calendar & contacts flawlessly and I never realised how much free stuff is in the iTunes store (all my iPods have my own ripped music on them, speaking of which I'll never use any of them other than the shuffle again). If I use the phone to link a photo with a contact when it sync's the photos are pushed to Outlook also. First time I got an e-mail with a photo in the top corner identifying the sender was a pleasant surprise.

The size of the thing did worry me to begin with but now I am used to it. If it were a half inch smaller it'd be the perfect size BUT I don't know how that'd affect the screen.

Downsides. Not many but the major ones are:

Bluetooth - it works great with a handsfree but file syncing etc. are not possible without hacking it. This is supposedly going to be one of the features (fixes) in 3.0

Tethering - my main bugbear. You cannot at this time connect your phone to your PC/Notebook and use it as a 3G modem, even via USB. Word is this was at the request of AT&T who were the main Telco vendor in the US. Rumours are this will be added to 3.0 and I hope so as it's a major pain. You can get it to work using jailbreak to hack the phone first.

Battery - it's just like the iPods in that the battery is not user replaceable. That being said I've been getting several days between charges and never looked remotely like running it down. I do however generally have it plugged in now either to my laptop at work (to sync and charge) or at home at night. And noteworthy is it uses the same connector as the iPods so the cable from my mini works just fine (and you can get them on DX for $2)

Basically I love the thing. Can't wait for the 3.0 software to add a few things that should be there. I already have several useful (if not boring) free apps from the store and am looking at using more functions (although there's no way I want to receive e-mail on my phone regardless how well it works). There are so many people at work who have them and since they've been out I've only met one guy who didn't like it (and he was a very strange dude indeed for so many other reasons).

This year I've been shockign with phones - never happened before:

I've had a Sony Ericsson P910i for years which I absolutely loved until it got wet :(

Then got a N80ie which I broke the screen drunk.

Then a cheapie ZTE F256 which the charger connection fell out of the phone when I unplugged it.

Now I'm back to my OOOLLLD Ericsson T68i - one of the first colour screen phones with a camera that plugs in the bottom - it was a real funky feature back then!

Now looking at a Chinese N97 knockoff just for kicks

I use the apple iphone, i find its really good, easy to use, i did have to jailbreak it to use bluetooth and mms, but in an official apple release shortly it will all be opened up anyway :)

it's about time they added MMS to the iphone. Not having it really lets it down.

I have a cheap chinese knock off of the Iphone they sell them up to 8 gig with 8 gig card @ $109 delivered and twin sim card capable, it works for me as I have a phone for selling and a phone for buying, both sim cards are active, it also works worldwide so when I travel I can just keep my Aussie sim card and pop in a prepaid wherever I go for local calls.

Saves me carrying 2 phones which I used to have to do and I can load it up with stuff to keep me occupied while im on the plane.

i'd love an E71 or a blackberry. I have the LG Prada at the moment, and it's ok, but i'm kind of sick of it. i want a real phone.

I've got an E71 (side note, E51 is equal in functionlity but slimmer and has a regular keypad instead of full querty pad)

I was starting to regret it (not using it for much more than a phone), but now that I got off my arse and got Garmin GPS working on it (instead of Nokia maps which is a subscription service), and have set up my home and work wifi networks, email, internal intranet messaging application, etc... I'm very happy with it.

The only thing that really pisses me off about the E71, as with most Nokia phones except the 'purpose built' media players, is that A) Its headphone port is 2.5mm instead of 3.55mm, and B) It doesn't have a native Divx player (but you can find them).

in summary though, my picks:

E71 or E51 if you'd pick business first, media second

or something like the iphone if its the other way around.

Otherwise, there's a plethora of other 'phones' if thats your priority too :)

There is a 'tradesmans' phone that can bounce, dropped in water etc etc....almost unbreakable within reason.....

Will try and find name of it.

yeah, i looked at something like that some years ago when i started a courier business. Looked cool, something like a mini Fluke meter. Was really expensive though, it was better for me to just wreck cheaper phones and keep replacing them...

I love my iPhone...I'm not an apple fanboi...I HATE everything apple...that is until the iPot came out, and I got that, then I had to have an iPhone as the next logical step.

It does everything (well...with 3.0 coming out soon, it will)

I love my iPhone...I'm not an apple fanboi...I HATE everything apple...that is until the iPot came out, and I got that, then I had to have an iPhone as the next logical step.

It does everything (well...with 3.0 coming out soon, it will)

I think you've been smoking too much iPot :lol

Anyone have any experience with dual sim phones? Work needs to buy me one and they're waiting for me to tell them what i want...

I have a cheap chinese knock off of the Iphone they sell them up to 8 gig with 8 gig card @ $109 delivered and twin sim card capable, it works for me as I have a phone for selling and a phone for buying, both sim cards are active, it also works worldwide so when I travel I can just keep my Aussie sim card and pop in a prepaid wherever I go for local calls.

Saves me carrying 2 phones which I used to have to do and I can load it up with stuff to keep me occupied while im on the plane.

Does it use the same apple software? More so does it connect to an exchange mail server like the iphone does? This could do me for a new phone

Anyone have any experience with dual sim phones? Work needs to buy me one and they're waiting for me to tell them what i want...

Does it use the same apple software? More so does it connect to an exchange mail server like the iphone does? This could do me for a new phone

I have not seen a I-phone yet, but from what ive been told it is very similar.

I just needed a dual sim phone and this was the first one I came accross on ebay.

My nephew bought one at the same time and cracked the touch screen the first day he recieved it by standing on it with his footy boots, I bought a new touch screen from Deal extreme for $7 with free shipping, so parts are available.

It has a bit of chinglish about it but depending on what you are going to use it for its a great cheap phone.

this is the indestructable phone

has 3 year unconditional warrenty not so many features but as a tradie phone looks cool i think crazy johns was selling them but might of been optus

http://www.toughestphone.com/

I saw those the other day at officeworks of all places.

To be honest, it felt VERY plastic-y to me. Don't take that as gospel though, it was a non-functional display phone.

Cheers

Jacob

No, the software is totally different. For making/receiving calls it works fine and the software is aimed squarely at the dual sim functionality. They are a touch phone and the touch works differently to the iPhone also. You harldy have to touch the iPhone but you really need to press these Chinese clones (not hard but compared to the iPhone it's very different).

I bought 3 of these but not the I68, instead I got the smaller and cheaper KA08. My wife likes hers and I still think mine is cool. But my iPhone is moreso.

Thanks for the info, i might just get one....i don't need wanky iphone features....just calls and email to/from 2 different sims.

If you don't mind the size get the bigger one like prktkljokr has. The screen is just too small on the micro ones for the qwerty keyboard. The main beef I had with mine was trying to write SMS' with such a tiny keyboard (even with a stylus).