No announcement yet.

cheap chinese GPS heads up (a good one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap chinese GPS heads up (a good one)

got this in the mail today

postage is excessive for what it came in (bubble wrapped and then in a padded bag but overall its still cheap

it cost me around $89 posted and would be less with the aussie $ going up

it also has igo 2008 software loaded (not route 66 as shown). Going to road test MP3s and Movies tonite

as a sat nav it works well so far clear to read and very informative.

comparing it to my tom tom i like this one alot

a heads up for anyone after a cheap run around unit

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=260406027493
    you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Originally posted by narf_ View Post
    got this in the mail today

postage is excessive for what it came in (bubble wrapped and then in a padded bag but overall its still cheap

it cost me around $89 posted and would be less with the aussie $ going up

it also has igo 2008 software loaded (not route 66 as shown). Going to road test MP3s and Movies tonite

as a sat nav it works well so far clear to read and very informative.

comparing it to my tom tom i like this one alot

a heads up for anyone after a cheap run around unit

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=260406027493
    I am about to buy a sat nav, and having never owned one, and only hired one once dunno what to look at/for. Main thing that concerns me is the cost of updating the maps. Does that one talk Narf?

Comment

I would imagine it runs navngo IGO 8. Probably the 8.0 software. If it has a plg in SD card then you just need to look around on the net for the australian .FBL (map) file. copy and paste it with a card reader and you have the latest maps, POI's, Building info.

I have just installed IGO 8 on my samsing omnia, and I would have to say it is probably the nicest I have used out of Tom Tom, Garmin, and Route 66.

Good score!

And tyo answer your question EB, IGO 8 does offer "turn by turn" navigation. Just avoid the US voices(erghg!)
      Last edited by what_the; 26th May 2009, 07:22 PM. Reason: extra info
      and suddenly, nothing happened, but it happened very suddenly mind you.

Comment

yeah guys it does talk

spun me out says at 30m turn right into gibbs street i was like WTF

the maps are loaded according to your country in your paypal account so mine is fully loaded with ozzie maps

it does have a SD card yeah what the

Comment

also this is windows based

i havent tested yet with another SD card but it is quite full due to all 25 available world maps on the card

plus it has snake and breakout

Comment

damn that is cheap ours cost us 2 grand alpine we didnt have to pay for it same as the 2 dvd players total package worth over 10 grand

Comment

my tom tom was 279

compared to a $19 ubd and the wife navigation unit it was alot of money

Comment

Can i suggest ppl contacting infinite1977 as he can source good quality gps' for you guys if needs be. Sure he wont mind me mentioning this...

Comment

bought a similar one 6 months ago - it lasted 3 months before the screen went blank, went back to the good old Tom tom. had the Tom tom for 4 years had to replace the battery $45, still going strong.
                  If it isn't broke then don't fix it!

Comment

i have a Tom Tom... it's good, and have new maps already.

we have cartman as our voice... "Turn left at Kyle's mums vagina"

Comment

I have a TomTom One.
                      IS about 3 year old, has latest maps, latest firmware custom icons etc. And doesn;t cost me a cent to do these upgrades....
                      !

Comment

Originally posted by kitty View Post
                        i have a Tom Tom... it's good, and have new maps already.

we have cartman as our voice... "Turn left at Kyle's mums vagina"
                        where'd you get that voice from Kitty? Can you share the source?

Unrelated side note: I wish I could get GPS working on my E71 phone. Sigh.

However, I bought a GPS unit for about $140 from DealExtreme about 1.5 years ago and its going strong. It uses TomTom software on Windows Mobile, but I can load any GPS software I like on it... I might try this iGo or Garmin for a change.

Originally posted by coolspot View Post
                        damn that is cheap ours cost us 2 grand alpine we didnt have to pay for it same as the 2 dvd players total package worth over 10 grand
                        No mate, it wasn't worth 10 grand, that was just its ridiculous price.
                        Last edited by dmworking247; 26th May 2009, 11:24 PM. Reason: Auto Merged Double Post.
                        My Projects
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by coolspot View Post
                          this is why some high wage earners whine that they have no money

Comment

Originally posted by dmworking247 View Post
                            where'd you get that voice from Kitty? Can you share the source?
                            just from the TomTom upgrade software stuff. It's all free

it's hilarious... it's a very very well impersonated voice though. I literally laughed the whole way to work the first day i got it.

"Cross over the circle-road thingy"

The best part is when you reach your destination... then cartman really goes off!

I'm on the hunt for more voices though. There's some good ones, but not awesome.

The only thing with the TomTom that i don't like is that there is only one voice that will give you street names... and it's a sucky voice

Comment

Originally posted by kitty View Post
                              just from the TomTom upgrade software stuff. It's all free

it's hilarious... it's a very very well impersonated voice though. I literally laughed the whole way to work the first day i got it.

"Cross over the circle-road thingy"

The best part is when you reach your destination... then cartman really goes off!

I'm on the hunt for more voices though. There's some good ones, but not awesome.

The only thing with the TomTom that i don't like is that there is only one voice that will give you street names... and it's a sucky voice
                              That depends if your got Vocalizer or Loquendo TTs. I have Vocalizer, takes less CPU, not as good as Loquendo's but still very good and have two Voices that do TTS, when I was running Loquendo I had about three TTS voices.

The Funny Voices you can get don't do street names as they aren't TTS (Text to Speech)

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X