Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My name showed when dialing my number FROM a new phone

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My name showed when dialing my number FROM a new phone

    I was setting up a new Samsung S9+ for a new employee today, but I wasn't told his number. I'm usually told the number when setting up new phones at work.

    So I decided to call myself as it was the quickest option to find out the number as I'm not familiar with Androids' settings (I'm an iphone user).

    Something strange happened ... As soon as I pressed call, my name came up on the new phone (above or below) my number that I dialed. Keep in mind I had just turned on the phone and set it up as a new phone (not transferred details from an old phone). It had no contacts setup and I hadn't even setup a google account or logged into any other service.

    I mentioned this to another coworker who explained that Hiya must be active as it's now in the Caller Id settings. He then went through the phone and found that it was indeed switched on.

    WTF is Hiya?? I rang my number from a new phone and my name showed up on the new phone. How TF does Hiya have my name and number???

    Anyone else seen this and know of this Hiya? I went to the website but it doesn't mention anything about my situation. It just mentions it's for stopping spam and robo calls.
    Caller Profiles

    Our global database of comprehensive caller profile information provides meaningful insight into who is calling.


    Am I in their 'global database'? I thought this would be for when you receive calls, not make them to an unknown number
    The universe is made up of protons, electrons, neutrons and morons.

  • #2
    Facebook probably

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma View Post
      I was setting up a new Samsung S9+ for a new employee today, but I wasn't told his number. I'm usually told the number when setting up new phones at work.

      So I decided to call myself as it was the quickest option to find out the number as I'm not familiar with Androids' settings (I'm an iphone user).

      Something strange happened ... As soon as I pressed call, my name came up on the new phone (above or below) my number that I dialed. Keep in mind I had just turned on the phone and set it up as a new phone (not transferred details from an old phone). It had no contacts setup and I hadn't even setup a google account or logged into any other service.

      I mentioned this to another coworker who explained that Hiya must be active as it's now in the Caller Id settings. He then went through the phone and found that it was indeed switched on.

      WTF is Hiya?? I rang my number from a new phone and my name showed up on the new phone. How TF does Hiya have my name and number???

      Anyone else seen this and know of this Hiya? I went to the website but it doesn't mention anything about my situation. It just mentions it's for stopping spam and robo calls.
      Caller Profiles

      Our global database of comprehensive caller profile information provides meaningful insight into who is calling.


      Am I in their 'global database'? I thought this would be for when you receive calls, not make them to an unknown number
      You're just a superstar Fab. An A lister from way back. If you dial my number on it, it'll probably come up as 'schmuck'. BTW how did the phone fit ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma on the screen lol

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma View Post
        I was setting up a new Samsung S9+ for a new employee today, but I wasn't told his number. I'm usually told the number when setting up new phones at work.
        So I decided to call myself as it was the quickest option to find out the number as I'm not familiar with Androids' settings (I'm an iphone user).
        Something strange happened ... As soon as I pressed call, my name came up on the new phone (above or below) my number that I dialled.
        Android does some cool things
        Identifying incoming calls is one of them
        It also notifies you "suspected spam caller" and stuff like that
        You can add numbers to your blocked list and you never hear from them again (they do appear in your caller list if you check, but don't ring the phone)
        Someone (or more) must have identified your number

        Comment


        • #5
          Time to wrap that phone in tin foil Fab

          Comment


          • #6
            You're all NOT getting it.

            This is not about receiving calls, but making them.

            I rang MY number from a new phone with no contacts and my name was displayed ON THE NEW PHONE as it was ringing my phone.

            Let that sink in for a moment...
            The universe is made up of protons, electrons, neutrons and morons.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma View Post
              You're all NOT getting it.

              This is not about receiving calls, but making them.

              I rang MY number from a new phone with no contacts and my name was displayed ON THE NEW PHONE as it was ringing my phone.

              Let that sink in for a moment...
              I bet if you rang my number it wouldn't show up

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma View Post
                Let that sink in for a moment...
                Sinking, sinking, sinking
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR0lWICH3rY

                - - - Updated - - -

                So looks like cooler features
                It knows numbers that you are calling!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by toads View Post
                  I bet if you rang my number it wouldn't show up
                  That was me . You're right. It didn't.

                  - - - Updated - - -

                  Originally posted by JimA View Post
                  So looks like cooler features
                  It knows numbers that you are calling!
                  So do spammers/scammers/stalkers/sociopaths etc...
                  The universe is made up of protons, electrons, neutrons and morons.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma View Post
                    That was me . You're right. It didn't.

                    - - - Updated - - -



                    So do spammers/scammers/stalkers/sociopaths etc...
                    Dunno about sociopath and psychopaths appearing, so I'll ring you now to test

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It was from Telegram Fab.

                      Once you are in the system your number (and personal details) is transmitted all over the world into all brand new phones, computers, set top boxes, smart watches and fridges.

                      I thought this was common knowledge?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma View Post
                        You're all NOT getting it.

                        This is not about receiving calls, but making them.

                        I rang MY number from a new phone with no contacts and my name was displayed ON THE NEW PHONE as it was ringing my phone.

                        Let that sink in for a moment...
                        Mikes Back!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma View Post
                          That was me . You're right. It didn't.

                          - - - Updated - - -



                          So do spammers/scammers/stalkers/sociopaths etc...
                          I knew it was you that rang.
                          My phone came up with "Fab using a new phone"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by toads View Post
                            I knew it was you that rang.
                            My phone came up with "Fab using a new phone"

                            The universe is made up of protons, electrons, neutrons and morons.

                            Comment

                            Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                            Working...
                            X