Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VR games - what's good ?

Collapse

Game reviews by AA members

X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VR games - what's good ?

    I'm picking up a VR headset later this week, an Oculus Rift-S that i'm getting super cheap. I understand the Quest 2 is already out but it's 3x what i'm paying for the rift-s, and the Quest Pro is coming soon, etc... But, just wanting to get my feet virtually wet at this stage, and see if it's something that will stick with me as a jaded 54 year old gamer who's looking for something new and interesting in gaming. I've played some small experiences a few years ago at a VR booth place in Melbourne and loved it so I'm keen to see how things have progressed.

    I've looked online and complied a list of what looks interesting to me...

    Anything else I should think about ? Or anything not on this list that people really like ?


    the walking dead saints and sinners
    boneworks
    pistol whip
    half-life Alyx
    vertigo 2
    vader immortal
    beat sabre
    no mans sky vr
    medal of honour above and beyond
    hellspit arena VR
    asgard's wrath
    star wars squadrons
    falcon age
    skyrim vr
    doom vfr
    moss
    ONWARD
    dirt rally (x)
    assetto corsa
    defector
    space pirate trainer
    elite - dangerous
    arizona sunshine
    serious sam vr

    Thanks for feedback and thoughts !




  • #2
    You've covered the main games I can think of.
    Beat Sabre, Pistol Whip, Space Pirate Trainer and Arizona Sunshine would be the most used of those listed with my mates.
    I'd also recommend:
    - Blue Effect - A very atmospheric wave shooter. It's the one I use when 1st demoing VR to friends. Good for a scare too. One female friend almost burst my eardrum.
    - VR Sports Challenge - Has a few sport games including Gridiron, Basketball & Ice Hockey. Hilarious to watch friends dive around thinking they are Ice Hockey goalies.
    - iBCricket - Excellent cricket simulator
    - I Expect You To Die - A puzzle / Adventure style game
    - Operation Warcade - Like the arcade game but with VR effects
    - Knockout League - Arcade style boxing
    - Richie's Plank Experience - Set it up with a plank of wood on the ground - You'll be amazed how hesitant people will be to walk (or even refuse to walk) the plank when they feel it is 50m in the air
    And the best of the lot, SUPERHOT. Matrix style game where bullets / weapons only move when you do.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by OzBlackKnight View Post
      You've covered the main games I can think of.
      Beat Sabre, Pistol Whip, Space Pirate Trainer and Arizona Sunshine would be the most used of those listed with my mates.
      I'd also recommend:
      - Blue Effect - A very atmospheric wave shooter. It's the one I use when 1st demoing VR to friends. Good for a scare too. One female friend almost burst my eardrum.
      - VR Sports Challenge - Has a few sport games including Gridiron, Basketball & Ice Hockey. Hilarious to watch friends dive around thinking they are Ice Hockey goalies.
      - iBCricket - Excellent cricket simulator
      - I Expect You To Die - A puzzle / Adventure style game
      - Operation Warcade - Like the arcade game but with VR effects
      - Knockout League - Arcade style boxing
      - Richie's Plank Experience - Set it up with a plank of wood on the ground - You'll be amazed how hesitant people will be to walk (or even refuse to walk) the plank when they feel it is 50m in the air
      And the best of the lot, SUPERHOT. Matrix style game where bullets / weapons only move when you do.
      Thanks for the reccos. That plank game sounds like a hoot, I'll definitely look into that. I even have a spare plank

      I've just tried Superhot last night, after playing it a lot on PC previously. In VR, it is crazy !!!! My only gripe with Superhot is the backtracking you need to do sometimes but MAN if you ever wanted to feel like a kickarse super ninja Neo/Matrix bullet time, Superhot in VR is it. One of my favourite moments so far is watching the bullets fly past and using the knife to slice them in half

      Space Pirate Trainer is such a great Arcade blast ! And Half Life Alyx is not only stunning to look at but absolutely terrifying at times being inside, and feeling a part of that Half Life world for the first time has been just one the coolest gaming experiences I have had ever, given I still remember being blown away by the original in '98. 22 years later i'm inside the game like Tron. there are just so many great VR games out now, of such a high standard, it's a great time to get into VR especially with Headsets plummeting in price.

      Have you played Lone Echo ? So atmospheric, and you really feel like you're in zero gravity.

      My vote for most disturbing VR experience that brings out the madman in you - Blade and Sorcery. I could have just kept playing and playing but i started getting a little concerned for my sanity there are tons of interesting user mods / conversions for it too including some (cough) adult mods.
      Last edited by Jed; 17 March 2021, 02:09 PM. Reason: usual typos and shit

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by OzBlackKnight View Post
        You've covered the main games I can think of.
        Beat Sabre, Pistol Whip, Space Pirate Trainer and Arizona Sunshine would be the most used of those listed with my mates.
        I'd also recommend:
        - Blue Effect - A very atmospheric wave shooter. It's the one I use when 1st demoing VR to friends. Good for a scare too. One female friend almost burst my eardrum.
        - VR Sports Challenge - Has a few sport games including Gridiron, Basketball & Ice Hockey. Hilarious to watch friends dive around thinking they are Ice Hockey goalies.
        - iBCricket - Excellent cricket simulator
        - I Expect You To Die - A puzzle / Adventure style game
        - Operation Warcade - Like the arcade game but with VR effects
        - Knockout League - Arcade style boxing
        - Richie's Plank Experience - Set it up with a plank of wood on the ground - You'll be amazed how hesitant people will be to walk (or even refuse to walk) the plank when they feel it is 50m in the air
        And the best of the lot, SUPERHOT. Matrix style game where bullets / weapons only move when you do.
        So I played Rickie's plank experience. Haha !! That was funny. Wife was cacking herself at my reluctance to just walk slowly along the floor of our lounge room.

        She has no interest in VR but tried this cause it wasn't 'a game' - she couldn't take more than a couple of steps on the virtual plank, and lost balance and let out a piercing scream

        Amazing how much your senses are fooled - i mean you know it's not real but still the body freaks out at doing it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Check out Google Earth VR ... it keeps me entertained for ages flying around the world checking out places i've never been to. The last game that i played that i was really stoked on was "The Room VR: A Dark Matter", it's an escape type game which isn't everyone's cup of tea but i loved it. There's heaps of free demos out there so make the most of them as well.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by spudly View Post
            Check out Google Earth VR ... it keeps me entertained for ages flying around the world checking out places i've never been to. The last game that i played that i was really stoked on was "The Room VR: A Dark Matter", it's an escape type game which isn't everyone's cup of tea but i loved it. There's heaps of free demos out there so make the most of them as well.
            Cheers, i did that last night, and geez, Google Earth is amazing in VR. Went and stood under 'Christ the redeemer' statue in Brazil, looked out over the mountains and valleys, gobsmacked. It's brilliant.

            I've been starting to look at the free demos when not playing games. there's a free Blade Runner 2049 app where you are playing a replicant. I haven't looked at that much but even just flying in the cop car above the city in the rain was a geekgasm for a fan. I'd love to see a VR game based on the original.

            played Pistol Whip for the first time last night. What a blast that was.

            After a week of solid play I think that the best PC games nowadays are in VR. I've not been very interested in PC gaming at all in recent times but VR has flipped that on it's head.

            Would love to see some of the sports franchises move to VR like 2K and PES - as full games and not just mini-game experiences. Done in the same style that the game Moss has been done, they could be really amazing

            Comment


            • #7
              Can recommend Pokerstar VR (free) and of course Beat Sabre (loaded with custom songs). Yet to try MS Flight Sim in VR but hear it is pretty good.

              Comment


              • #8
                These three games are going to destroy my house and anything or anyone near me: Until You Fall, Blade and Sorcery, and Hellspit Arena.

                I'm thankful for the Oculus quick access passthrough camera, as the guardian system doesn't seem to be 100% reliable.

                Also, i'm a bit surprised you can set a floor boundary and a play area boundary but you can't set a ceiling boundary. For taller, long-armed apes like myself, the lounge room ceiling fan has copped a flogging so far. Thankfully, it's only been on once when i smacked it. These touch controllers are hardy.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
                  live between the flip and the tilt

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by oldhank View Post
                    Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
                    Edit:

                    I'll just put this video here, this is my favourite game at the moment, Pistol Whip. Old School Arcade shooting mixed with VR and pumping music is a great mix.

                    I never manage to shoot the dudes in time with the music, the guy in this video is an absolute badass and is smashing this game, i'm in awe.

                    Last edited by Jed; 31 March 2021, 01:03 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      this youtuber omotea is also ridiculously good at Pistol whip and does it with true style.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        2.30 😂😂😂


                        Facebook - "Arcade Furniture"
                        Crusin USA sitdown, Sega Outrun Upright, Neo Geo LAI , 60 in 1 Lowboy, World Rally Standup, Rally-X Repro, World Expo 88 Lowboy, Mirco Challenger 4 Player Pong, Taito Space Invaders empty cab, Asteroids Deluxe empty cab, 2 Player MAME project cab

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Just got Pistol whip on the PSVR and its great fun!
                          Even worked up a sweat - guns blazing and music pumping

                          What I think I look like when playing to what I actually look like when playing

                          Keanu Reeves Matrix GIF by PeacockTV

                          Happy Just Dance GIF by My Spy
                          Facebook - "Arcade Furniture"
                          Crusin USA sitdown, Sega Outrun Upright, Neo Geo LAI , 60 in 1 Lowboy, World Rally Standup, Rally-X Repro, World Expo 88 Lowboy, Mirco Challenger 4 Player Pong, Taito Space Invaders empty cab, Asteroids Deluxe empty cab, 2 Player MAME project cab

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ponty View Post
                            Just got Pistol whip on the PSVR and its great fun!
                            Even worked up a sweat - guns blazing and music pumping

                            What I think I look like when playing to what I actually look like when playing

                            Keanu Reeves Matrix GIF by PeacockTV

                            Happy Just Dance GIF by My Spy
                            It's such a great game not had this much fun playing a video game in years. Geez you can work up a sweat especially when you start cranking up the difficulty, i'm finding it hard to complete a level on medium even using the dual wielding modifier.

                            Have you played the expansion 2089 campaign mode ? the matrix moves go into overdrive, it's craaaaaazy

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jed View Post

                              Edit:

                              I'll just put this video here, this is my favourite game at the moment, Pistol Whip. Old School Arcade shooting mixed with VR and pumping music is a great mix.

                              I never manage to shoot the dudes in time with the music, the guy in this video is an absolute badass and is smashing this game, i'm in awe.

                              Totally agree. Pistol Whip is one of my top favourites on the Oculus Quest 2. Hey has anyone played Alyx on the Quest with cable?

                              Comment

                              Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X