Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

House Of The Dead: Overkill

House Of The Dead: Overkill

Nintendo Wii

Developed by Headstrong Games

Published by Sega

Released February 2009

Review by Kitty:

:D here we go.......

so i got home yesterday afternoon with a huge storm approaching (perfect HOTD weather!!!) only played for bout an hour and a half (had walls to plaster lol) here are my first impressions on the game....

i was suprised, i had a look inside the book, and it had controls etc for the Zapper, however..i dont have the WII Zapper, we have 2 " HOTD commissioned AMS Hand Cannons" as part of the Bang Bang Box. (definately easy to use, and much better than i imagine the Zapper would be - although 2 sensor bars might make it better)

my first impression...... very Tarantino like in some aspects.

definately not a game for the kiddies, WAY too much swearing (which verges on extreme sometimes.)

ok so into the gameplay itself....

i found it can be a tiny bit repetitive at times... generally the exact same prototype zombie (mutant) in each level... so gets a little blah toward the end of the stage, its still enjoyable, but i feel like i want to see some different zombies throughout... not the same 4 or 5 types over and over again. (although the hot nurse zombies are wicked :D) - understand they are trying to keep it at realistic and original as possible... but how hard is it to have some more zombie 'types'??

there's a bit of lag here and there between screens, or between areas. which gets a little frustrating. also, it pisses me off because the zombies come at you and some of them go really far to the right or left of the screen so you cant see or shoot them, but they're right there hitting you... bit annoying.

also, the gun re-load time is a bit ho-hum to start off with so i highly recommend that you purchase that upgrade first (and the MK42 is crappy)

i love love LOVE the slo mo-fo (which you get by shooting a green 'thing') it's very cool, especially when you have 8 or 9 zombies coming at you all at once.

the attention to detail is pretty good, but i would have liked to have seen some "Fallout 3" style blood spatters... instead of blood just pouring out of the zombies onto the ground.

the 2 player was good, but i think it would be better if you used it as a one player dual wielding option.... i DO like the fact that when you die, you just 'buy' back in, and that player 2 can join at almost any time....

the boss battles at the end of each stage are probably the worst part of the whole lot (although i've only done 2 of them), very repetitive, and not the challenging, just annoying really. (still in my heart nothing can hold up to Final Fantasy boss battles :redface)

the storyline is pretty good (even though i wished Varla was hotter) but hey, this game isn't so much about the storyline as it is about shooting some zombies.

in terms of the visual appearance and attention to detail - it's very ' B Grade' movie - once again, i'm guessing they want to keep it as original as possible, but considering how advanced the technology is now... i kind of would have expected a little cooler graphics in there(but that's just my high standards)

all in all, very enjoyable... not like anything we currently own or play... which i immediately like. it's not a perfect replica of the original, but it still has that feel about it. (but it will never live up to my memories of playing the arcade game in the cinemas when i was younger :badgrin).

i'd still give it about an 8.75 out of 10..... (despite the fact that my review has just pinpointed mostly the negatives, it is a really really good game and worth a play.... i think i just hyped myself up a little too much....)

(i'm not so good at reviews, and i can be quite picky at times... so hope this helps you guys a little bit..... :tomato)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so played a LOT more of this game this weekend... and after re-reading my review, i think i was pretty harsh. i may have judged it a little early. :)

we're doing the director's cut and its HEAPS better.....

had a bbq last night, and we all played HOTD after a few drinks, and it was really really enjoyable. (i think all up yesterday, we played about 6 hours of it lol)

Ok you got me. I found a place who had one of the Bang Bang box left and they dropped the price to something I was willing to pay.

My brother and I have played the first 2 levels (straight into the game, no reading the book) and it's been fun. The intro and cutscenes are great, and I only saw Planet Terror last week. Prior to this HOTD 1&2 are the only other ones in the series I've played (except Typing of the Dead but that's a remake of the first game) and I find it funny the one that is supposed to be a dodgy, B grade piss-take has the best voice acting and dialogue. Perhaps they should have taken that route a long time ago.

Just firing to reload seems a bit weird, the time it takes can be annoying but I reckon it adds to the whole "Oh shit they're coming! Hurry" aspect. I guess it's all those arcade games that have trained us to shoot away from the screen to get an instant reload even if you've only fired 2 bullets. I'm wondering if adding a bit of plastic to the guns will shorten the travel in the triggers.

The only other real issue I've had is everything is a bit dark to see, but that's our TV. I've had the same problem in Metroid Prime and Raving Rabbids and can't seem to find an adjustment that'll fix it without maxing out the brightness.

I'm having a ball and hope single player holds up as well. Between this and Madworld I think Sega have sent a big "Oh Really?" to the people who claim the Wii is just for little kids. These are clearly big kid games.

Just firing to reload seems a bit weird, the time it takes can be annoying but I reckon it adds to the whole "Oh shit they're coming! Hurry" aspect. I guess it's all those arcade games that have trained us to shoot away from the screen to get an instant reload even if you've only fired 2 bullets. I'm wondering if adding a bit of plastic to the guns will shorten the travel in the triggers..

when you get more cash you can upgrade your guns which makes a MASSIVE difference to how quickly you reload....

when you have a fully upgraded automatic shotgun - its freakin sweet! especially playing the earlier levels with such powerful weapons :D

hey what guns are you guys using? im sold on the nyko perfect shot, but no one seems to sell them in australia. just bought one on ebay from the us- $11 and $11 for shipping! but it would be nice to know i can just buy another one locally when i need a second...

hey what guns are you guys using? im sold on the nyko perfect shot, but no one seems to sell them in australia. just bought one on ebay from the us- $11 and $11 for shipping! but it would be nice to know i can just buy another one locally when i need a second...

i use HOTD commissioned AMS Hand Cannons" as part of the Bang Bang Box, but i think you can buy them separately :)

I bought the Perfect shot guns from Deal Extreme http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10833, think mine were around $8.00 though:unsure, took a while to get here (with free postage), plus they are silver and more gun looking.

Seem solid enough, wiimote fits well, feels like a gun:D

Buy them from deal extreme as per my post

I bought the Perfect shot guns from Deal Extreme http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10833, think mine were around $8.00 though:unsure, took a while to get here (with free postage), plus they are silver and more gun looking.

Seem solid enough, wiimote fits well, feels like a gun:D

Buy them from deal extreme as per my post

interesting, that looks like a knock off of the nyko perfect shot!

i use HOTD commissioned AMS Hand Cannons" as part of the Bang Bang Box, but i think you can buy them separately :)

doh! just like in your review! how much was the box set?

One thing that's always peeved me about the current Wii lightgun games (well, all console games to be honest) is that you can't configure your buttons any way you want.

I've got an awesome gun for Wii, but it uses the C and Z buttons on the nunchuck attachment as the trigger (and your thumb to move the analogue stick for either movement, menu/item selection or map to reload). There's not a single lightgun game that can be mapped to those buttons (analogue stick yes, C/Z buttons no)! Games will either let you use A or B, neither of which are terribly sensible for a pistol-style setup (the Wii Zapper's SMG (MP5-wannabe) setup is OK, but I hate using two hands for one gun).

Here's the original Wii Zapper prototype, which had the same "C as shoot" setup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wii_zapper.jpg

How bizzare that no games are made for that, even though it could have been the default setup.

I see that finally all these newer style guns have mechanisms that stretch from a fake trigger up to the B trigger on the WiiMote. Still not much of an option for WiiMote+Nunchuck in one as a pistol though.

Anyways.... that's just me being picky. I firmly believe all games should allow players 100% configuration of button mapping. You get it on fighting games, and on PC games. But for some reason they give you two or three silly defaults on most other console games rather than just allowing a "map your own" setup, which would make way more sense.

woohoo! Those mo fos sure are big! I found i got a pain in my wrist like ive NEVER had before ;)

definitely a two hander, these. very nicely made though. And yeah, what Kitty said about the game in general (",)

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=91380.0;attach=122056;image

woohoo! Those mo fos sure are big! I found i got a pain in my wrist like ive NEVER had before ;)

definitely a two hander, these. very nicely made though. And yeah, what Kitty said about the game in general (",)

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=91380.0;attach=122056;image

:lol I was using the deal extreme guns over my arm like a real ganster, left arm for support. my GF was like WTF I said it feels better this way baby:D

:lol LOVE it :)

are they the guns from the bang bang box? heavy mo fo's hey, but awesome all the same :)

Holy shit on a stick those guns are massive!

(I have plastic gun envy??? :redface )

yep they are big mo fo's - but they're not as heavy as they look :)

after an hour or two you might need some support to hold your arms up though :lol