Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

I got my Wii modded today - now what?

Hi guys,

There have been a lot of threads on Wii modding and new homebrew/features posted lately, and with the possibility of loading game images from a HDD I decided to bite the bullet.

For $100 (I know I know.... convenience over value) I got a Wiikey installed on the spot at the local computer fair. It took a little longer than normal because I (idiot) updated to the latest firmware 20 minutes before leaving to get it modded, and apparently the 4.1 firmware makes things a little trickier.

So I've now got the chip installed, and he installed the homebrew channel, various exploit fixes, 'gamecube compatibility', and a channel called 'neogamma backup loader' that when I open it, gives me the option to load from DVD, usb, or SD card... so I assume this is where I'll go to load games off the hdd.

I don't have any game images yet, and I'm still so new to this I'm very confused by all the threads and various software patches etc I need to get things working... hopefully you'll indulge me with a few questions:

1) Does this sound like all I need to get started? My priority is being able to play games from the HDD, followed by from backup DVD, followed by being able to play some more of the virtual console/wiiware titles.

2) What do I need to do to prepare my external 80gb 2.5" IDE usb hdd enclosure for use with the Wii?

3) How do I put game images onto the hdd, especially from my original disc? (I figure downloading them is simple enough, just copy them to the USB HDD after downloading)?

4) Are there collections of virtual console/wiiware games out there that can be either added to the USB hdd or the SD card?

5) I bought one of those special LG dvd-roms that can apparently read the original Wii discs, so is it now just a regular disc to disc copy (at low speed) onto a blank DVD?

Geezz... you shouldve spent the $100 on a HDD.

You dont need the wiikey to have Homebrew Channel, etc.

But maybe you needed that for the gamecube stuff :unsure

Go get the USB loader for your games here

Install this Wad Channel rowarder into your Homebrew Channel .. then use that to install THIS one as a channel.

Using this Wad channel , you can install Wiiware games, etc.. just make a folder in the root of your SD card , and call it "wad" (without the " ") :cool:

If the guy hasnt already , install this cIOS to get you started. (its rev 9 )

You may need to install some IOS to get some games running. This link is for IOS 55 .. I needed that one to get Onslaught running.

Install this Wad Channel rowarder into your Homebrew Channel .. then use that to install THIS one as a channel.

Using this Wad channel , you can install Wiiware games, etc.. just make a folder in the root of your SD card , and call it "wad" (without the " ") :cool:

If the guy hasnt already , install this cIOS to get you started. (its rev 9 )

You may need to install some IOS to get some games running. This link is for IOS 55 .. I needed that one to get Onslaught running.

Thanks Adam,

Yeah I know the price was high (especially me, the tightass) but I've been procrastinating for so long, and these days I'm getting too overwhelmed by 'details' (even the above makes my head hurt :lol) so a hard-mod seemed to be the more logical option to get kick started. I dont know what versions but IOS and cIOS stuff was all patched, I think I'm pretty good to go, I'm just nervous about dealing with any of that homebrew/mod stuff in fear of undoing some of the existing setup or worse, bricking the damn thing.

1) Does this sound like all I need to get started? My priority is being able to play games from the HDD, followed by from backup DVD, followed by being able to play some more of the virtual console/wiiware titles.

Channels are used. Homebrew Channel launches homebrew apps to install WiiWare/VC Content WADs.

You probably already have a WAD Installer (open homebrew channel to check).

That is what is used to run WADs (Think of WADs like ROMs)

You should be able to play backup games right now. Remember to use apps such as BrickBlocker to avoid bricking your Wii (wiikey should prevent it from bricking).

You may want to install BootMii incase you do brick your wii.

2) What do I need to do to prepare my external 80gb 2.5" IDE usb hdd enclosure for use with the Wii?

Use a program such as WBFS Manager 3.0 to prepare/format the drive.

3) How do I put game images onto the hdd, especially from my original disc? (I figure downloading them is simple enough, just copy them to the USB HDD after downloading)?

WBFS Manager 3.0 can transfer games on your computer hdd to your wii drive.

Use a USB Loader to run the games from your Wii hdd (I use USB Loader GX).

They have to an option to backup games from disc to hdd/sd card/usb device.

4) Are there collections of virtual console/wiiware games out there that can be either added to the USB hdd or the SD card?

You add them to your SD Card. Check torrents.

5) I bought one of those special LG dvd-roms that can apparently read the original Wii discs, so is it now just a regular disc to disc copy (at low speed) onto a blank DVD?

Guides:

http://www.copywiigames.com/?p=43

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/471073

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Backup-Wii-Games---Start-Copying-and-Backing-up-Your-Wii-Games-Fast-and-Easy&id=2085641

so adam are you saying that you dont need to get a wii chipped to play games from a hdd? So you could buy a wii from the shop and instal that software etc without getting a chip and download/get games on a hdd and play them?

very cool if you can!

Have been able to do that since the breakthrough earlier this year. No need to have your Wii hardware modded anymore. Soft mod works just a treat and opens the wii to play snes, nes, neo geo, n64, c64, atari 2600 games + dvds.

Relatively easy process that takes an afternoon.

Note : Does not work on all wii's. Those with serial starting with LU64 aren't able to be modded last time I looked. Same with wii's that were version 4.0 and above - but I'd say that's been cracked by now. I have my wii at ver 3.2e (e = europe = pal).

Here's a link to what's required to soft mod... and a link to the 3d loader I use.

I use the wolf theme with the 3d loader and have it set to launch in to z-flow with a custom ambient (forest) audio track. Will post custom config file and audio track if people are interested.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2jb1dao.png

I'd love to get my setup looking like that, where my kids can recognise the game from the full cover art like that. Strangely, my firmware was 4.1, and I've got a hard mod, but I think (as you mentioned) thats not an inhibitor anymore... I guess I wont know until I try.

I think the first thing I need to do though is get my hdd prepared with a couple of working images on it to see if I can get the menu/'frontend' setup as you have above.

I'd love to get my setup looking like that, where my kids can recognise the game from the full cover art like that.

That's one way of using the loader.

I've changed my config to load directly to the flow-z 3d loader... much much better interface : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbvbZOWhJfQ]youtube link[/ame].

That GUI with this background image :

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/6479/bggui.gif

... and a binaural forest recording as the audio is what I'm using. Happy to provide config/pics/audio files if anyone wants them.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the basic front end going, but all of my covers are generic (game covers not showing). I think I've found a link for them, 128mb or so... but I gathered there was a way to have the launcher download just the images you need (for games found on the hdd).... I can't figure that out.

Also I have to go through the homebrew channel - load the launcher, to get to the front end... still trying to work out how to make it an icon on the main system menu.

I've got the basic front end going, but all of my covers are generic (game covers not showing). I think I've found a link for them, 128mb or so... but I gathered there was a way to have the launcher download just the images you need (for games found on the hdd).... I can't figure that out.

Also I have to go through the homebrew channel - load the launcher, to get to the front end... still trying to work out how to make it an icon on the main system menu.

Which uploader you using?

Get USB Uploader GX run that from homebrew channel and go to "update" ...

U may be using this already?? Didnt read the previous page.