X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii Mod Chip Recommendations and other questions

Got our Wii today

Just wanted to ask what chip peeps have in their Wii's
    I got that case mod off Pommie Paul for the Gamecube and bought some extra controllers for it on the weekend but I think it will be easier just to use the Wii for both GC games as well.

I want something that will let us still play online games and I'd like to be able to multi boot GC games on the Wii.
    Gcos works well with the Qoob mod chip on the Gamecube for multi booting games and emulator stuff so something similar for the Wii would be great. The idea of putting 3 or 4 cubes games on one full sized DVD would be sweet. I spent all weekend ripping my original GC disks with Gcos 1.x and the broadband adapter to ISO's for this purpose.

What sort of Media are you blokes using? I've had no luck finding full sized media that works well on my Gamecube yet but I've read Verbatim is the ticket? I usually go with TDK.

I'm really keen to try some emulators on the Wii, I was playing around with some GC ones on the weekend and they were spot on.

Linky in anybody is interested, they have GC and wii versions of each emu.

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91

questions questions questions

AK, if you're going to put GC games on your modded Wii, do you still need the GameCube case? I'm still after one if you no longer need it.
    My Projects
    sigpic

Comment

nah i wont need it mate, just give me a few weeks to get me Wii modded and its yours.

Comment

Sweet! Thanks mate. No rush, just wanted to source one
        My Projects
        sigpic

Comment

Bring the GC ISOs on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
            Just wanted to ask what chip peeps have in their Wii's
            Wiikey 2's are pretty easy to install and are what I install at the moment.
            Q.Are we not men? A.We are DEVO!

Comment

I have the original Wiikey, and hadn't had a problem. The Wiikey 2 would be better I presume (or is it for the later model Wii's)
              I haven't checked out any of the other chips but will vouch for the Wiikey.
              sigpic

Comment

The WiiKey 2 or D2Pro would be a good choice unless it ends up being a d2nothing/D3 drive, then you will need a different type of chip which are only just hitting the market now. There are two that im aware of being the Drivekey and the Wasabi DX. Both are due to be released very soon. The other issue will be that the drive is going to have epoxy if its a d2e and some of the epoxy will need to be removed at the very least to get to some of the solder points. The other advantage of the WiiKey 2 and D2Pro is the firmware region protection which prevents you from accidentally updating your console with the wrong firmware and turning it into an expensive paper weight.
                -- http://www.2000cn.com.au
                Business Web and Email Hosting and Spam filtering

Comment

So what happenes if its already got the latest firmware on it? = screwed?

Comment

Nah the firmware on the wii is fine. The firmware protection on the modchips just protects a PAL wii from being updated with NTSC firmware for example. Its just a way to stop you bricking it.
                    -- http://www.2000cn.com.au
                    Business Web and Email Hosting and Spam filtering

Comment

I just put a wiikey 2 in mine with a solderless clip. Easy and quick and has been working flawlessly. Mine obviously didn't have the epoxy resin on the security chip.

Comment

Media is also important.

I only use Verbatim or A Grade Ritek discs....

Our Wii has the D2PRO installed without problems.

If you need help sourcing a few games let me know via PM

Comment

I realise the request is for chip reccomendations but I have to put my hand up for a softmod. Will allow you to do everything you've asked for without opening the thing. Including multigame GC and 1:1 Wii backups from the disc channel.

You do of course need a copy of zelda to do it, which apart from time is probably the only real inconvenience. Easiest method is probably to use SoftMii nowdays (much to my dismay as they are a bunch of twats) The pack does work fine though for everyday use (i used v0.9.5, time of posting current version is 2.1.1).
                          - My random bits | - A Wah!Cade wiki | - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | |

Comment

bugger already bought a wiikey off cwispy cheers for all your input fellahs

Whats some good games the kids would like?

Comment

Mario Kart, Mario Party, Wario Shake Dimension...

Boys/Girls - Ages

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X