Megadrive / Genesis modding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megadrive / Genesis modding

Picked up a Megadrive 1 to play with, looking to have a crack at the full list of mods located at this site : http://www-unix.ecs.umass.edu/~dhowland/mod/

All of the parts required look reasonably easy to find from Jaycar/DSE, except for the "9.216MHz TTL oscillator (Digikey: X113-ND)". Having a look on their respective website, can't seem to find ANY oscillators of this style. Can see them on US sights but it seems a little ridiculous the shipping and quantities required - and I find it hard to believe I won't be able to find one locally.

Total electronics n00b here so I may be missing something - any advice from the ele-geeks?
    sigh... one for the archives eh vbulletin?

Hey what great mods .. i remember connecting a 3.5mm plug - 2 RCA lead to my tv to get stereo sound. Wish these mods were available when i had my megadrive.

What mods are you going to do to it ?

Comment

I have a whole box of crystals and oscillator modules - PM me to remind me when I get home to check for you.

Cheers
      Jacob

Comment

Will do Jacob, thanks!

Adam - I'm planning to *try* and do all of the mods on that page

My soldering skills are attrocious (just ask Tony, I did some for him yesterday ) but it looks like a pretty simple set of mods to do.

My only concern is that I've read somewhere that overclocking the CPU has issues with some games ... and I've read you can install a switch but cant really see how that can be done considering the method on that page puts a hole in the board from the onboard clock.

Comment

Originally posted by nigelicious View Post
          My soldering skills are attrocious (just ask Tony, I did some for him yesterday )
          Remind me not to buy that machine!
          "Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"

Comment

Originally posted by David_AVD View Post
            Remind me not to buy that machine!
            It was one dab of solder, I overstate the fact a little. Certainly alot less than what i'm about to do here!

Comment

Those are great mods, I want to do that one day (I have two first gen megadrives). I think the SVideo is a bit out of my league though, I would have been happy with a simple PAL RCA out, I *hate* those RF tuners.
              My Projects
              sigpic

Comment

I pretty sure I used an old plug that fitted into the large socket on the right side of this pic.
                That went into the video input of my tv.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamC View Post
                  I pretty sure I used an old plug that fitted into the large socket on the right side of this pic.
                  That went into the video input of my tv.
                  Same, but they're hard to find these days as they're not very popular.

Doing these mods means you can just buy an off-the-shelf set of RCA and S-Video cables.

I did the same A/V out mods on a mate's Sega Master System, and it came out a treat. Picture quality is fantastic.

The next one I do will be an RGB out mod straight to an arcade monitor.
                  | |

Comment

Sorry mate, I didn't have a 9.216 module...

Have a 10.000 but I guess the odd value of 9.216 was picked for a specific timing reason...

www.rockby.com.au only have a 9.6 module

I can't seem to find the modules at my usual aussie suspects...

Cheers
                    Jacob

Comment

that plug looks like a commodore plug
                      you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post

Doing these mods means you can just buy an off-the-shelf set of RCA and S-Video cables.

I did the same A/V out mods on a mate's Sega Master System, and it came out a treat. Picture quality is fantastic.

But wait... if there was originally a cable/plug that allowed you to get an RCA video out into a PAL TV, then shouldn't you be able to find the two associated pins on the inside of that round socket that you need to syphon off a dedicated RCA output?
                        My Projects
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dmworking247 View Post
                          But wait... if there was originally a cable/plug that allowed you to get an RCA video out into a PAL TV, then shouldn't you be able to find the two associated pins on the inside of that round socket that you need to syphon off a dedicated RCA output?
                          There is only an RF out on the SMS2. I do believe the European SMS2 had the scart. The chip however still has the capabilities - hence the hack.

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post

I remember in the very late 90's someone showing me a whole heap of arcade cabinets with multiple Megadrives inside them, they were hooked up via RGB to the Arcade Monitor. There were also lots of dodgy custom PCBs (Vero board) with relays that enabled you to switch different games and accept coins to start play. The cabinets were being stripped for parts.

I have a Sega Nomad (hand held Genesis) that I have hooked to an Arcade Monitor (just because I could)

Here are some links for RGB out.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/evilt...t.htm#megamstr
                            http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/se...ereo-scart.htm
                            http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md2-scart.htm

Comment

Originally posted by dmworking247 View Post
                              There was in the Megadrive. You still need to go and buy a 5-pin DIN cable, and hack it up of course. And if you lose the cable, then you gotta do it all over again.

As mentioned, the Master System 2 only had RF-out. No A/V-out at all.

Hack RCA-out direct onto the console, and the functionality is always there, ready to go with off-the-shelf cheapy cables.
                              | |

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X