Sega Master System cart reader / writer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sega Master System cart reader / writer

Found this cool project that people might be interested in ie putting roms onto a modified SMS cart to play on your original hardware

http://www.smspower.org/smsreader/

It plugs into your PC's parallel port (which must operate in bi-directional mode), and is controlled by software running under Windows or MS-DOS. Using the reader, you can:

* Read your own Sega cartridges and copy the ROM images onto your hard drive, so you can use them in emulators such as Meka.
    * Write ROM images onto specially modified cartridges with battery backed RAM, so you can use them on the real Master System.
    * Read and write your saved games from cartridges like Phantasy Star, which have battery backed RAM for save positions.
    BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When your down here with us, you'll float too!

That looks great! good if there was a Megadrive/Genesis one as well.

Comment

I just read the same question on a forum... and was linked to ToToTek.
      Looks like there are all sorts of flash carts here:

http://www.tototek.com/

EDIT: Looks like Elvis has mentioned Tototek before

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=4178

Here's a homemade reprogrammable MD cart:

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/...is_cart_en.php
      Last edited by Mickey Juice; 9th June 2008, 02:26 PM.
      BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When your down here with us, you'll float too!

Comment

Did a quick check for buying parts in my Jaycar catalogue.
        Most are cheap parts ie under $1.
        Hardest to come by will be inline resistor (tho can just replace with normal resistors) and the edge connector. Not sure where to get one of them (other than hacking open an SMS)

Comment

Could you use an old ISA slot of an old mother board?

It might need some hacking to size

Comment

Originally posted by AskJacob View Post
            Could you use an old ISA slot of an old mother board?

It might need some hacking to size
            As long as the contacts line up it would be possible... hmm

Comment

And here are the mods in my SMS you need to get full value out of having a re-writable SMS cart:

50/60Hz Mod
              Region Change Mod
              FM Sound Mod

The 3 wires in a row next to the marking "JP2" are for the 50/60Hz mod
              The wire coming off the 315-5237 chip to a switch with ground connection is for the region change
              The unit plugged into the expansion port with a wire coming off it is the FM sound unit

Not all SMS model ones are the same, there is plenty of info available on the net though.

I'll gradually work on the Cart Reader/ Writer device amongst other things........
              Last edited by Roxbury; 22nd June 2008, 11:55 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Juice View Post
                I just read the same question on a forum... and was linked to ToToTek.
                Looks like there are all sorts of flash carts here:

http://www.tototek.com/

EDIT: Looks like Elvis has mentioned Tototek before

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=4178
                Yessir, for my birthday (March 2007) I got both Master System and SNES reflashable carts from Tototek courtesy of my missus.

Want to know the tragic part? I haven't even used them once yet. No goddamn time to even get that much done.
                | |

Comment

I have finished making the SMS Cart Reader/ writer now. I have read some carts with it and it works fine. I need to get some parts online to make a re-writable cartridge next.

Comment

Originally posted by Roxbury View Post
                    I have finished making the SMS Cart Reader/ writer now. I have read some carts with it and it works fine. I need to get some parts online to make a re-writable cartridge next.
                    very nice!
                    Regards

Dez

DSB Electrical
                    DSB Electrical Facebook
                    VAPS
                    Vector Monitor Repro Parts
                    Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

Comment

sweet. keep us updated with the rewrite cart
                      Danny Galaga- the man with no signature...

Comment

good to see enthusiasm is still strong for this sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Roxbury View Post

Nice work. Where did you get the cart slot?

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Juice View Post
                            Nice work. Where did you get the cart slot?
                            I salvaged it from a non - working SMS

Comment

I received RAM chips from Futurlec for the re-writable cartridge. There is a problem though, they didn't send me the exact same chip as I ordered. Can anybody here tell me what the difference is between the chips, and if the one they sent me might be a suitable alternative?

I ordered Hitachi 628128 RAM chips as per this datasheet

They sent me Wingshing 628128LLP-70 RAM chips as per this datasheet

I am not sure what to look for to determine if what they sent me will work just as well anyway? Can anybody offer advice, I am not up to speed with this stuff yet.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X