Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Swap Magic for the PS2 any good?

Hi All,

I posted a thread some time ago saying my son was wanting to chip his PS2 so he could play backed up games etc, however we have resisted. I've looked into it a bit further and found this thing called Swap Magic, which along with a "flip top cover" (both can be obtained from coolpc.com.au) has me understanding that no hardware mods are required to do the same thing as any of the popular chips do.

It seems like the perfect solution for us to be able to compile our own custom Guitar Hero disc(s), but before I go ahead and purchase I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with Swap Magic? I know that the flip top lid is not a necessity as a "slide tool" could be used instead, but the flip lid just seems like a safer way to go about it as I don't like the idea of jiglging a piece of plastic under the disc tray to eject it as the likelihood of causing damage seems inevitable.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Chris
    www.ozstick.com.au

Ozstick wait a day and i'll review the VAST.....i have one waiting at the PO to pickup....basically its a modchip on a memory card....so i've been led to believe....plug it in and it somehow makes you able to play copied games......

Cost me $88 shipped. I'll post a thread about it tomorrow.

Comment

Mod chips are generally less hassle in the long run, but the swap magic system does it's job and has the cheat feature as a bonus.
      Personally I'd lean towards chipping it

Comment

you could also look at adding a hdd to store games (need a ps2 network adapter for the ide interface) and booting with the ps1 exploit, depending on your model of ps2. Assumidley its a fatboy ps2 because you are talking about purchasing an additional fliptop cover. Once done you can install the swap magic software, have ftp access to your memcard, install your custom discs over the network, run a media player etc. More options than you can poke a stick at

Can help you set that up if need be, again depending on your ps2 model. Cant recall which model the patch was fixed on (fat boys)
        - My random bits | - A Wah!Cade wiki | - Experimental Wah!cade Branch | |

Comment

Originally posted by sairuk View Post
          you could also look at adding a hdd to store games (need a ps2 network adapter for the ide interface)
          I believe there's a product now that lets you store games on a USB hard drive (meaning it works on slimlines too).

There was a link on shmups.com a while back. I'll see if I can find it and paste it in here.
          | |

Comment

Got the memor32 card thingy....only works on consoles up to v16 mines a v17

I'll chase up another console and try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by stu View Post
              Ozstick wait a day and i'll review the VAST.....i have one waiting at the PO to pickup....basically its a modchip on a memory card....so i've been led to believe....plug it in and it somehow makes you able to play copied games......

Cost me $88 shipped. I'll post a thread about it tomorrow.
              I'm never in a hurry to make decisions about things like this, so I'll wait for your feedback on the VAST card Stu. Where did you purchase it from? I'm running around in circles trying to find a homepage for it.

What I DID find however is a website for FreeVAST, which heads up a project trying to reverse engineer the VAST card with the view to making its contents freely available! They don't much around, do they!!??

Cheers,
              Chris
              www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

Sorry, i'm still testing, it turns out that it should work on my console, i'm currently working it out....as you are finding there is jack shit i nfo around about it and no instructions on how to use so i have no clue myself......

The memory card is called MEMOR32, its basically a memory card that has a usb connection and can plug into your computer to copy same games etc to and from the ps2>>comp.

A group called TEAM MEMENTO have made a hacked firmware for the memory card and made it so basically, you put the memory card in, throw in your copied game and turn the console and and that's it....it loads the game.....i'll report back shortly.

Comment

Ok, so at the moment this thing doesn't work in PAL aussie consoles. The PAL support was only written for EURO PAL consoles and the two are different.

The re-seller locally has been in touch with the devs, sent them a console etc and the issue should be fixed next week in a new firmware revision....so until then, i can't give results.

Comment

I had an old PS2 which was softmodded. I installed the elf on the mem card for swap magic and then using a template, i cut the plastic tool thing out of an old ice cream lid.

Comment

http://www.mementoteam.com/

They just updated their site with some info about aussie support.

The only current downside to this thing for playing games is that you need to patch all your isos before you burn them.

Otherwise, i think it kicks ass

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                        I believe there's a product now that lets you store games on a USB hard drive (meaning it works on slimlines too).

There was a link on shmups.com a while back. I'll see if I can find it and paste it in here.
                        USBAdvance, whilst it works, unfortunately compatibility and speed are absolutely woeful. There was also a mod for slimlines to add an ide interface, with a kit released by team xecuter(iirc) but the install was painful from all reports. IDE if possible is definatley the way to go, I've rarely found a game that hasnt worked which I've wanted to play. Can always swap if not.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, but I reckon the flip top and Swap Magic may be the way for us to go.
                          www.ozstick.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by sairuk View Post
                            USBAdvance, whilst it works, unfortunately compatibility and speed are absolutely woeful. There was also a mod for slimlines to add an ide interface, with a kit released by team xecuter(iirc) but the install was painful from all reports. IDE if possible is definatley the way to go, I've rarely found a game that hasnt worked which I've wanted to play. Can always swap if not.
                            Thanks for the info. I was wondering if they were worth the cash. Obviously not.

I'm a big import gamer (I love my Japanese shmups and fighting games on PS2). I've got a first gen "chubby" PS2 that I had modded day one. My entire collection of games is import, and having to swap back and forth with Swap Magic would drive me bananas.
                            | |

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                              Thanks for the info. I was wondering if they were worth the cash. Obviously not.
                              yeh definitely not worth the cash if you are already modded. You can grab the USBA/USBEX/HDL elf and build your own iso to try it out then make your decision. While you're at it, throw on ulaunchelf and backup your memory card via ftp/usb as raw files.

IDE HDD in a ps2 is heaven, no more fumbling around for discs, especially with the kids running around. I've setup a few ps2's now with the exploit and SMS (Simple Media System) so people can watch mpgs/avis off usb keys/hdds without a chip. Works well.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X