Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS 2 Modification Question

Hello All

I already have a modded x-box for my 9 year old son 160GB HD etc etc.

I am now looking for a modded PS2 for my 7 year old Daughter.. Singstar is all she wants.

I have ?? therefore.

Can PS2 be modded with HDrives etc etc..

Or do they just get chipped to play backups...
    How hard it it to make backups....
    What price would be reasonable.

Thanks

I've never looked into PS2 mods, but IIRC they're just chipped to play 'back ups'.
    Dunno if they ever utilised HDD's (or the Sony drive they released).

If she's only playing 1 game why bother chipping it?
    BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When your down here with us, you'll float too!

Comment

you can soft mod it to use the HDD. Only trouble is that copied games will have to be transfered to the unit via ftp as the soft mod does not allow the system to play back copied discs.

To get the HDD to work, you need either a slimline with a usb caddy, or the older version with a network adapter. I have got mine soft-modded, its alright but no-where near as good as a soft-modded xbox.

Comment

i had a ps2slim and usb drive.
        i was just WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to slow,
        loading times were crap, movies choppy and was only 50% compatable with games (prob less)

i bit the bullet and got it chipped.
        should have done it in the first pacae.

Comment

i use a swap magic its a cheap about $50 swap disk which lets you play backed up ps2 games. Can be a bit tedious but works a treat.

Comment

Which chip did you put it in it ? I might chip my ps2...

Comment

i got a local guy (Ballarat) to do mine.
              was a h2o chip.
              works good, haven't had a game not work yet.

Comment

Cool thanks, Im going to look into it. Are games easy to come by and burn ?

Comment

i'll PM you a good site.
                  and as long as you burn em on good discs and on 2 or 4x you're all good.

Comment

Originally posted by spotlanx
                    i'll PM you a good site.
                    Good advice. I found my old "chubby" PS2 hated fast-burned discs. I even go as far as burning everything at 1X on Princo "A-Grade" discs. They aren't the cheapest, but they're the only disc that gives me a 100% success rate.
                    | |

Comment

Ill disagree here... princos are one of the cheapest dvds on the market. They have bad shelf life and crappy die.

I always by top grade richos... from they price they are vs the quality you get, ill go with them every time.

Comment

i always burn mine on sony dvd+r's because they are cheap and have never gave me any problems and i usually burn them on 8x.

Comment

i've been using sony and now tdk (on special ) on coasters as yet.

yeah elvis i burn all the important games (SF:AE ) as slow as i can.
                          games i am more 'testing' i'll burn on 4x.

haven't tried faster, but from exp with DC's i try to burn slow.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Juice
                            I've never looked into PS2 mods, but IIRC they're just chipped to play 'back ups'.
                            Dunno if they ever utilised HDD's (or the Sony drive they released).

If she's only playing 1 game why bother chipping it?
                            Well if I can't get my son off the xbox I will just have to get my daughter off the
                            PS2. She is only interested in singstar at the moment, but who knows in the future???

Thanks for all the feed back so far.

If I can summarise so far, basically hard drive is out, chipping is in. That's fine by me.
                            Any idea of a reasonable price for a chipped PS2 or is it easier to buy new and then add the chip...
                            JB HiFi have new PS2 out at $187.

Originally posted by spotlanx
                            i'll PM you a good site.
                            Can I get a PM too...
                            Last edited by Crafty; 24th July 2006, 08:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Isn't Singstar a dual layer disc..? Maybe not but anyone had an experience in burning dual layer PS2 games..? Disc copy with Nero perhaps..?

W.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X