Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

I have 2 Atari 7800 consoles but for some reason I am not able to get them working on my Plasma TV. The consoles power up OK, but there is no picture on the TV. It is a Pioneer plasma TV, but there is no RF plug on the TV itself, the connection is on the Media Box. Since the screen is connected to the Media Box via HDMI, would this be causing the problem? :unsure

Matthew

Media Box. Since the screen is connected to the Media Box via HDMI, would this be causing the problem? :unsure

Matthew

Whats a media box? Is that a box with a tuner and inputs?

If it has a tuner, and you are trying to use the RF in, is it an analog or digital TV tuner?

If it is a digital TV tuner you can't use the RF in.

You'll need to do a composite hack (if you have a composite input free on the tv)

http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft/7800_mod.htm

http://www.geocities.com/atari7800mod/7800_vidmod_construction.html

If you're not comfortable doing these mods, let me know. We can arrange something :)

Cheers

Whats a media box? Is that a box with a tuner and inputs?

If it has a tuner, and you are trying to use the RF in, is it an analog or digital TV tuner?

If it is a digital TV tuner you can't use the RF in.

You'll need to do a composite hack (if you have a composite input free on the tv)

http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft/7800_mod.htm

http://www.geocities.com/atari7800mod/7800_vidmod_construction.html

If you're not comfortable doing these mods, let me know. We can arrange something :)

Cheers

Hi Jacob,

The Media Box is not a tuner, it is just a device that Pioneer sell with the plasma screen that houses all of the inputs rather than having the inputs on the TV itself. I think the idea is so that the TV only requires 2 cables running out of it (power and the HDMI cable to the Media Box), and all other cables (for DVD, Video, Tuner etc) can be connected to the Media Box and therefore hidden from view). The Media Box also has the RF connection and that is what I am connecting the RF plug from the Atari console to.

The composite hack is way out of my league, and I definitely don't want to open up the console and mess around with the PCB. I was hoping there was a way of connecting the Atari to the RCA inputs or S-Video connection on the Media Box without having to hack the console, is this something you could design & build for me? :unsure

Matthew

Nah can't do it externally, but can certainly mod one for you if you are happy to send it down...

It's not particularly hard, but is a bit fiddly and involves making some connections to the PCB inside the unit. I can do it reversibly and not damage the unit or drill it if that is what you are concerned about...

BTW There is no fear of damaging anything trying to hook it up as is.. just won't work. Or were you referring to the static graphics damage FT? If it is a 3rd gen plasma (bought in the last 6-12 months or so) shouldn't be such a big problem - besides, who games for 8 hours straight with the same game day after day? :lol

Cheers

Nah can't do it externally, but can certainly mod one for you if you are happy to send it down...

It's not particularly hard, but is a bit fiddly and involves making some connections to the PCB inside the unit. I can do it reversibly and not damage the unit or drill it if that is what you are concerned about...

BTW There is no fear of damaging anything trying to hook it up as is.. just won't work. Or were you referring to the static graphics damage FT? If it is a 3rd gen plasma (bought in the last 6-12 months or so) shouldn't be such a big problem - besides, who games for 8 hours straight with the same game day after day? :lol

Cheers

Will the "mod" allow me to plug the Atari into the S-Video connection on the Media Box? If, in the future, I get hold of a regular TV (CRT), will the Atari still work on it via the RF connection, or will the mod prevent this? :unsure

Burn-in on my plasma screen won't be a problem, I doubt I will be playing any single game for long enough in 1 session anyway. And I am used to switching the TV off or changing inputs every 20-30 mins when playing games so this won't be any different.

Matthew

Will the "mod" allow me to plug the Atari into the S-Video connection on the Media Box?

Yes it will

If, in the future, I get hold of a regular TV (CRT), will the Atari still work on it via the RF connection, or will the mod prevent this?

No it will still work as before with the RF connection

Cheers

Jacob