C128D keyboard clean.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C128D keyboard clean.

I bought a very manky looking keyboard for my Commodore 128D last week. I thought it was time to give it a clean, you can see why in the pics. It came up pretty well with a thorough clean.
    I totally dismantled it and washed the case and black bezel in the sink with soap and a magic eraser, washed every key cap and cleaned the cable and plug with eucalyptus cleaner. The pcb had a few crusty spots that were cleaned off with isopropyl alcohol.

It's missing one spring but I have a replacement on order.
    It now looks useable. I'll get to test it out late this afternoon.[emoji16]
    Being such a rare beast I thought it was worth the effort.
    Cheers Trev.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Keyboards are one of the mankiest things in existence. I hope you had hazmat gear on whilst doing it
    My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
      Keyboards are one of the mankiest things in existence. I hope you had hazmat gear on whilst doing it [emoji23]
      And one of the most time consuming to clean.[emoji16]

Comment

Ummm.... That looks better than the keyboard I'm using right now...
        Live on Twitch, when I can at random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

Comment

They do get a bit crusty, don't they?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180819_094529.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1838810
          Live on Twitch, when I can at random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

Comment

Originally posted by ajfclark View Post
            They do get a bit crusty, don't they?[ATTACH]134478[/ATTACH]
            Ewwwww

Comment

Originally posted by ajfclark View Post
              They do get a bit crusty, don't they?
              [ATTACH]134478[/ATTACH]
              OMG lol

Brad
              My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

I love the marks on this C64 keyboard. You can see exactly where the sun was coming from.
                I'm going to clean it and leave the keys as they are. No retrobrite for this one.[emoji6]
                Cheers Trev.

Comment

OMG lol

Brad
                  Yeah, the joys of being a sweaty, sweaty man. It's why I compulsively wipe my pinball machines after I've played them for a bit.

Comment

Well I plugged it in to the computer today and had 8 dead keys.[emoji852] 6 were all in the same area and there had been a crystalline gunk on the pcb in that area so I went looking for broken tracks on the pcb and I eventually found one.[emoji16]
                    What I'd originally thought was dirt on the track turned out to be a break, so the track was repaired with a fine bit of wire. The other two buttons were push on/push off keys so I dismantled the switches, cleaned and adjusted them
                    and I plugged it back into the computer and all the non functional keys now work.[emoji16]
                    Only now the = key didn't work and it wasn't one of the original faulty keys???
                    I checked for more broken tracks but couldn't find any so I cleaned all the contact points and now it's all good.[emoji16]

I now have a happy Commodore 128D with its keyboard tucked away nicely for future use.

Cheers Trev.

Comment

Those yellow keys would do my head in.

Either way good job. Hate working on keyboards

Brad

Comment

Those yellow keys would do my head in.

Either way good job. Hate working on keyboards

Brad
                        I haven't got around to that bit yet. It'll get the retrobrite treatment soon.[emoji6]

Comment

Yeah not much fun this is it !

This C64C KB had been stored poorly, it all worked & keys are white & even but it was full of crud & rust underneath.

Managed to get most of the rust off the springs with apple cider vinegar, not like new but hopefully that will stop them from getting any worse. 1 broke but I had a couple of spares.

-----------------------------------------

This is a different unit, what I find more annoying than yellowing is when you have 1 or 2 white keys. M key

There, fixed it good

Comment

a few white keys haha how does that happen

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop83 View Post
                              a few white keys haha how does that happen

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app
                              That's actually my original KB from 86, I don't remember doing it but I think maybe I replaced that M key at some stage, but other keys like the shift keys discolour differently for some reason & have definitely not been replaced.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X