Combining 2x 16K ROM into 1x 32K ROM

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining 2x 16K ROM into 1x 32K ROM

New at this, so would be a basic question, hehe.
    I want to burn data from 2x 2716 (9316) into one 2732. How does the Chip Select work?.
    Does it need CS?
    Does it rely just on the memory address?.
    Nothing explanatory on the Web other than the physics of it.
    This is for an early CPU, Cinematronics.
    EM score motors wanted: nonworking or working
    Sega Sub Roc 3D periscope mech. needed except motors.
    Wanted, Mitsubishi 60" RP (vs 6041) complete TV gun assembly. (R Proj TV/monitors and parts taken away).
    Take Five pinball machine PCB wanted.

I'm not sure what type of programmer you are using but with mine i just select the chip as a2732 ,then load the first file onto the buffer , then set the buffer to a positive offset of 800(that's where the first file finishes) and then load the second file.
    Then burn the image onto a 2732
    Hope that helps

Comment

How does the game CPU differentiate between the two files on the 2732?. I thought that CS selected a particular ROM. Since the data is on one ROM now and not two.
      Wanted, Mitsubishi 60" RP (vs 6041) complete TV gun assembly. (R Proj TV/monitors and parts taken away).

Comment

I'm only familiar with pinball boards but you always have to change board jumpers to accommodate the different rom sizes so the cpu knows where to select the data

Comment

Oh ok, I understand now. Thanks Ken, much appreciated.

I have just found that there are no jumpers but there are modifications to traces etc. to achieve this.
          Last edited by arcadus; 3 August 2017, 10:46 PM. Reason: More searching

Comment

The highest address line (so A11 for the 2732) would switch the two halves of the ROM in this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybeaux View Post
              I'm not sure what type of programmer you are using but with mine i just select the chip as a2732 ,then load the first file onto the buffer , then set the buffer to a positive offset of 800(that's where the first file finishes) and then load the second file.
              Then burn the image onto a 2732
              Hope that helps
              The same can be done with cmd prompt
              type rom1.rom>>newrom.rom
              type rom2.rom>>newrom.rom

the result is the first rom added to a new rom file, then the second rom appended to the newly created rom

Comment

or just download HxD(best free hex editor by far) and use the "Concatenate Files" options under Extra then File Tools.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                Working...
                X