Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

• Administrators

I like the leaness of google. Bing has too much crap on its search page. Thats really what made google so popular. No shit on its search page like yahoo, lycos, altavista and the rest did.

Brad

I like the leaness of google. Bing has too much crap on its search page. Thats really what made google so popular. No shit on its search page like yahoo, lycos, altavista and the rest did.

Brad

You summed it up nicely

You summed it up nicely

ahhh the days when Altavista was king :D

and Astalavista was a good crack search engine...

I binged, and found myself underwhelmed... so much money was put into it too!

Cheers

Jacob

Brad

Apart from a background image (on Bing) I can't see any more crap than Google's search page.

I also use to use Copernic http://www.copernic.com/en/products/agent/

compiled many search engines into the one search, could add more search engines separate the results per search engine or combine etc..

Not so sure about new versions

heh, I used to use it all the time.

Back at school 'Ask Jeeves' was the search engine of choice :)

Ask Jeeves: Are you gay?

Jeeves: I prefer the term 'jovial' actually

:D

There was some hidden humour in Jeeves!

Cheers

Jacob

Google has a sense of humor also.

Try searching: the answer to life, the universe, and everything

Or, is quite useful.

Search movie times and your suburb or local suburb with cinema for movie times.

Restaurant and your suburb for lists of restaurants and reviews.

Time and anywhere for the current time.

Weather and anywhere for weather report.

Currency conversion on the fly.

Mathematics etc.

Just heard about a newish search engine that is tipped to be better than google?

Phwarhahahahahaha! :lol

It's going to take a lot of brains, time and money before anyone out-does Google's algorithms. Have you ever seen the requirements for a Google employee working on either their search or database software? Don't bother applying unless you have at least two PhDs.

And they've had an 11 year head start on everyone else. :)

Phwarhahahahahaha! :lol

It's going to take a lot of brains, time and money before anyone out-does Google's algorithms. Have you ever seen the requirements for a Google employee working on either their search or database software? Don't bother applying unless you have at least two PhDs.

And they've had an 11 year head start on everyone else. :)

And here's where they started!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z19-6tvGSq4]YouTube - Google First Production Server @Computer History Museum[/ame]

A lot of cluster projects go that way because it's cheaper over many nodes.

When you're wasting $200 on a slim rackmount case and power supply, that's fine for a corporate data centre with 100 or so nodes. When you've got thousands of nodes and need to ensure you're making the most out of every single clock cycle, you find that motherboards on shelves become a lot cheaper.

I build clusters for companies who render 3D animation and special effects, and I can tell you now that there's a number of them that follow the same mentality. Every node boots from the network (no hard disk, no video), and is just a mobo, CPU and RAM on a shelf. If it breaks, you pull it out and replace it. Maintenance costs go down, dollars per GHz go down, efficiency and value for money go way up.

It's not as ghetto as it looks. Quite intentional. For Google, they still do the same thing today. Except now they have custom motherboards made by Asus and Asrock that are 12V input only. Each node is attached to a standard 12V car battery, which in turn is fed from the mains. No cases, and all nodes sit on shelves inside shipping containers. These shipping containers can contain hundreds of nodes each, and can be stacked several high to build instant clusters containing many thousands of nodes in just a few days.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRwPSFpLX8I]YouTube - Google container data center tour[/ame]