Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

TOUCH SCREEN PCS

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah! I forgot to say that you'll need to replace the 3V CR2032 coin cell for the cmos. Mine was down to 0.5V ! I did have weirdness before that. I'm typing this on the touch screen PC now. :D

I used a used laptop DVD drive without it's front bezel to install on mine. I didn't have any real luck using a double header IDE ribbon with the HDD and a normal sized DVD drive. :unsure

I only have 256mb of ram ATM and have had two BSOD but that may be due to the old HDD I threw in it. I've saved an image of the HDD to my network (using the free Seagate version of Acronis) in case I need to replace the drive.

The only other problem I've had is several Windows Update items failing to install but I suspect that's due to the miniscule amount of RAM installed! :lol

What touch screen PC's are you guys talking about?

Edit - Never mind, find the info here at post #10 and beyond. Guess I am too late

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=18875&highlight=touch+screen

If anyone wants to sell 1 or more for what they paid or trade for something (NOS 21" Toshiba VGA gaming CRT and chassis??, arcade controls, etc) let me know.

Edited by Claude

Alrighty I've powered mine up.

Can you believe I actually found a CDRW drive from an old IBM Thinkpad that managed to fit the minature board & ribbon cable? You ripper.

I've put in a (dodgy) 40gb hdd until I can buy a new one next week, just to play around. I've also installed a 256mb memory stick and a 2.8ghz processor.

TinyXP is trying to install as I type this.

Initial thoughts:

The screen looks very bright at the dos prompt. Not 'high contrast' bright, but 'washed out grey instead of black' bright.

The fans (or is it my hdd? are so noisy that I can hear them from another room. That wont do if i"m to use this for a jukebox :(

How soon you forget the "old days" :D

I don't (completely) forget them, but IMO hard drive formatting has always kind of kept up with capacity.

ie, it seems to take the same time to format a 100gb hdd nowadays as it did to format a 100mb back in the early 90s. HDD & PC speed kept up proportionately with capacity I guess.

I don't (completely) forget them, but IMO hard drive formatting has always kind of kept up with capacity.

ie, it seems to take the same time to format a 100gb hdd nowadays as it did to format a 100mb back in the early 90s. HDD & PC speed kept up proportionately with capacity I guess.

There was a lumpy time between the 40 60 and 80 gb sizes where there were some radically different times formatting if I remember (some where ~40 mins, others 3+ hours). My last drive was a 1Tb unit, and took about 45 mins...

If your drive is knackered too, that will take ages to format as it tries to find and lock out bad sectors...

Cheers

Jacob

Well, damnit.

When it finally finished formatting, TinyXP installed and then it freezes halfway through loading windows. I guess the 'S.M.A.R.T' test failing on bootup is a good indication the hdd is cactus.

So now I have to stare at it for a week until I can get another hdd. *grumble*

Guest Burra749

I have purchased a few of these & have 3 spare.

In the Aussie Arcade spirit of helping others out Im going to offer them to anyone who missed out.:023:

As both Claude & MXD have already expressed interest in this thread I will be offering them both one each.

If I dont hear back within the next 2 days I will let the next in line grab them.

That leaves one up for grabs for now.

The cost of these are $100 each + postage at cost or pick up from Thornlands in Brisbane.

As I have already paid for these myself, fast payment is expected please.