Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer startup prob

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Computer startup prob

    I replaced the power supply on a spare computer , as it wouldnt power-up and kept flashing its LED .. ( I asked about this ages ago - and the concensus said it was a shot PSU)

    When I turn the comp on , this screen comes up.




    Should it make a difference if the replacement supply only has a 200W max output, as the original one had 250W max output.


    On the original unit , it says - +5V & +3.3V 165W max.
    on the one i put in - +5V & 3.3V 105W max

    (I just noticed this )
    I'd say would make a difference, hey ?

  • #2
    I wouldn't think it'd make that much of a difference myself. What sort of video card is in it? Some video cards really suck the power so you might try using on board to test it?

    Brad
    My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Brad View Post
      I wouldn't think it'd make that much of a difference myself. What sort of video card is in it? Some video cards really suck the power so you might try using on board to test it?

      Brad

      agreed try another video card it you have one spare. I have seen this before and it was the Video ram had died..


      hey Brad look it a dam GoldStar again what did I tell you... ....
      Movies are very educational. Example: I wouldn't never guess that a shoot in head can kill a zombie...

      Comment


      • #4
        The video is onboard.

        Could be totally stuffed here ....
        ill have to dig around for another card ...

        Comment


        • #5
          If the m/b has a AGP or PCIe that will override the on board card.
          Movies are very educational. Example: I wouldn't never guess that a shoot in head can kill a zombie...

          Comment


          • #6
            that is a small power supply there... if it is a "fu man chu" no-brander then if it is rated at 200W you will be lucky to pull 100W from it really. What spec is the PC?

            Cheers
            Jacob

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Emohawk View Post
              agreed try another video card it you have one spare. I have seen this before and it was the Video ram had died..


              hey Brad look it a dam GoldStar again what did I tell you... ....
              LOL yeah but the monitor's not at fault here

              The power supply is low but still unless it's dead it should be alright. Make sure all your devices are unplugged, USB, extra drives etc. Only have your boot drive and keyboard (although you could unplug that too) and then boot it and see how you go. The idea is to reduce as much power load as possible to see if that resolves it. If on a slim chance it does, you know it's the power supply. If not, either a dud power supply, dud motherboard (component). Are you getting any warning beeps?

              Brad
              My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Brad View Post
                LOL yeah but the monitor's not at fault here

                The power supply is low but still unless it's dead it should be alright. Make sure all your devices are unplugged, USB, extra drives etc. Only have your boot drive and keyboard (although you could unplug that too) and then boot it and see how you go. The idea is to reduce as much power load as possible to see if that resolves it. If on a slim chance it does, you know it's the power supply. If not, either a dud power supply, dud motherboard (component). Are you getting any warning beeps?

                Brad
                Also if the Video card is on board it will be sharing the system memory. You may have some dud ram. take out as much as you can. take the system down to bare bones.
                Movies are very educational. Example: I wouldn't never guess that a shoot in head can kill a zombie...

                Comment


                • #9
                  It was pulled out of an old Acer i had.

                  This comp is a Compaq Presario

                  Celeron 2.6Ghz
                  512 Mb ram



                  Brad - theres no beeps at all.


                  Might just have to salvage the 40Gb HHD and scrap the rest, i think

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Load default Bios settings......ugh Compaq....... but yeah load default settings, reset every component you'll be using, unplug everything except your HDD, keyboard and monitor. Then boot it to see if the problem continues. Whenever I've seen this issue it's the onboard video or some other MB component. One other thing to try (smacks forehead) is to plug a video card. If it is the onboard chip it might actually work.

                    Brad
                    My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Took out one of the sticks of ram and now its alive !!!

                      Thanks guys.

                      Now i can set it up for my mame cab
                      (Until i buy a faster computer)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        cool. gool old shared memory got to love it just hope you have enough ram left in the box.
                        Movies are very educational. Example: I wouldn't never guess that a shoot in head can kill a zombie...

                        Comment

                        Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                        Working...
                        X