Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

ARGH Dead HDD - Any Tools suggestions

Hi All

my external 750 HDD that had the 150Gig MP3's, Mame Stuff, 160 Gig Movies, all ultrastar is deadish.

I think it's on the way out, when I try to copy things from it I get IO errors, I have got ultrastar and movies off now it's the MP3's, I have swapped external cases I was about to put it into the PC (thinking it might be a heat issue) ?

Any one have any suggestions of things to try before I possably kill it ?

: What I have done

swapped cases

disk check - few of them

xcopy /c

thanks

Matt

Edited by mxd

Get a copy of Hirens Boot CD and run HDD Regenerator 1.51 .

There are also data recovery programs on the same cd , try not to use the hard drive except for when you are actively fixing or recovering the data , if its on the way out you need to run it as little time as possible till you find out the problem.

Does it have two usb connections ? ,make sure its getting enough power .

Ta, I've got hirens CD, it's a powered exteranl case so I assume it should have enough power.

I will give Hirens a shot.

When it fails I get i/o errors or CRC errors on files, thats why I thought xcopy /c should be a good shot and putting it in a PC.

The first thing I noticed was when I did a properties on the MP3 folder it would say 18Gig instead of 150 Gig.

make mental note buck stuff up storage is cheap.

thanks

Matt

• Administrators

I had a similiar problem with my main jukebox drive the other week. I essentially lost the lot including the files you swapped me =( I did have a backup but I was in the process of sorting/archiving and needed some work space so deleted the backup copy :/

Apparently this is quite common with Maxtor and WD externals atm.

I could not recover the data or it said it recovered it but when I read the disk when done I have 6 entries for every folder, files couldn't be read and weirdly the Music Videos, whilst recovered were ALL the incorrect file name. I ended up reformatting :cry

Brad

damn,

the 50 gig I swapped with you I have YEAH, it's the 150 I got from corbo that I am pissed off about.

I should have done some research I just bought another 750 WD sata as my backup drive, doh (2 reasons didn't get the backup done and the drives appear to be crap).

I am currently extracting some of them, when I get them backup I can send you all I have if you like ?

• Administrators

That'd be sweet. Corbo never sent me his stuff. Well he did but it was the wrong stuff LOL. He was going to get back to me but never did :(

If you need another copy PM me.

Cheers,

Brad

I have seen some externals that have two usb's on the connection lead which is why I mentioned it as some pc's limit the power a single usb puts out and they need the second connected to overcome this .

As long as the plates are still spinning you should be able to get some data off it with the tools from hirens, also I have heard putting the drive in a freezer for a while can help although I have never done this myself.

Hey you didnt happen to use that external with a windows 7 install did you , I heard that it fucks up the mp3 files good and proper .

Edited by lilcuda
Automerged Doublepost

• Administrators

This has more to do with some sort of corruption of I suspect NTFS and MBR from the drive. Google the error and you'll get a heap of hits for Maxtor and WD USB Externals. It's a shitty situation imo.

Brad

my friend once fixed a dead laptop hhd with a magnet, i know believe it or not, the problem was it stopped spinning and he fixed the loose bearing with it. a very very very very very last resort is if its worn down place the hdd in a moisture proof wrapping and stick it in the freezer, so i have heard, it slightly shrinks the drive and sometimes unread worn areas can be read once cold

anyone else ever heard of this????? or am i a nutter???

• Administrators

The freezer deal can work. The magnet....well it might work but only if you want to totally f00k all the data and have a wiped drive. You actually wipe drives using a magnet as thats how the data is stored ;)

Brad

i know it wipes!!!! lol i did work exp at a radio station and the carts they recorded interviews on, i had to properly wipe with a big magnet, i dont know how exactly he did it, but the drive seized up and he must have put it to the centre where the spinning bearings are to get it moving

The best data recovery software IMHO is GetDataBack. It's saved me on a few occations. It managed to recover all the data from a 1TB drive that had lost it's MFT. It can be difficult recovering data from a Dynamic disc (as apposed to the old basic disks which have normal partitions). So I highly recommend this software.