Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disk Defrag Problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disk Defrag Problem

    Knowing the guys on AA can fix just about anything, does anyone know why I would not be able to run the Disk Defrgamenter on Windows XP?

    The error message that comes up once DD program is running and I try to defrag either of the HDDs on the machine is 'DISK DEFRAGMENTER CANNOT START'

    I have uninstalled the tools/accessories in the control panel and then re-installed from the XP disc but it made no difference.

    I am not very computer literate so plain english would be appreciated.

    The PC is running like a pig at times and I have defragged it using Uniblue software but it doesn't ever seem to be as good as the windows one.

    Any thoughts would be welcomed.

  • #2
    f5 or f4 to start in safe mode then click start run then type chkdsk then click run
    The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

    Comment


    • #3
      the disc defrag that comes with windows is bloody hopeless

      jkdefrag kicks butt


      http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/index.html
      rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on
      if your new to electronics and

      Comment


      • #4
        Also do a full scandisk defrag will not run if there is any drive errors.
        Movies are very educational. Example: I wouldn't never guess that a shoot in head can kill a zombie...

        Comment


        • #5
          thanks....

          I have run the chkdsk and nothing came up at all - good or bad. It just finished and closed itself.

          Please excuse my ignorance but where and how should I run the full scan disk?

          I looked in control panel - admin tools and checked both drives there and both are "healthy" according to that.

          It may be worth noting that the defrag prob is happening on both HDDs I have on the PC, not just one of them.

          Where to next?

          Comment


          • #6
            Mate, this should do the trick:

            http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/arch...18/defrag.aspx

            Nothing scary in there, it is just the steps to re-register and configure the XP defrag, just like new.

            Cheers
            Jacob

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Talby View Post
              thanks....

              I have run the chkdsk and nothing came up at all - good or bad. It just finished and closed itself.

              Please excuse my ignorance but where and how should I run the full scan disk?

              I looked in control panel - admin tools and checked both drives there and both are "healthy" according to that.

              It may be worth noting that the defrag prob is happening on both HDDs I have on the PC, not just one of them.

              Where to next?
              Open "My computer" Right click on the drive i.e C Drive
              click "Properties" (left click)
              go to the "Tools" tab.
              The 1st tool is scandisk.
              select all tick boxes click start.

              Do this for all you HDD if you have more than just C Drive.
              Movies are very educational. Example: I wouldn't never guess that a shoot in head can kill a zombie...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AskJacob View Post
                Mate, this should do the trick:

                http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/arch...18/defrag.aspx

                Nothing scary in there, it is just the steps to re-register and configure the XP defrag, just like new.

                Cheers
                Jacob

                Tried all this and still no joy.....

                I also tried the scan disk suggested by Emohawk and got the error message that Windows could not start or run the scan disk.

                I have rebooted a couple of times after doing all the re-register stuff. I have also removed and re-installed the windows accessories again and gone through the whole process above again and no good.

                Any other tricks?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Give this ago.

                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
                  Movies are very educational. Example: I wouldn't never guess that a shoot in head can kill a zombie...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by @lien_Zed View Post
                    the disc defrag that comes with windows is bloody hopeless

                    jkdefrag kicks butt


                    http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/index.html
                    I gave it a try, not a bad 1 click solution.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      do u have admin rights ?
                      Why do programmers get Christmas and Hallowe'en mixed up?
                      A: Because Oct(31) = Dec(25)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mxd View Post
                        do u have admin rights ?
                        yep - just a home PC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If its running like a dog then a fresh install of windows may be worth doing if you can be arsed. Will fix the problem but can be a pain backing up files and re-installing everything.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Its a home PC, but when the machine is first setup you specify the 'user accounts'. By default, if I recall correctly, anything except "Admin" doesn't get Admin rights.

                            So are you signing in as "Administrator" when windows boots up? or some other user ID?

                            Try rebooting, and assuming you get a Windows login screen (ie its not bypassed) try username "Administrator" (if you're not already)
                            My Projects
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by dmworking247 View Post
                              Its a home PC, but when the machine is first setup you specify the 'user accounts'. By default, if I recall correctly, anything except "Admin" doesn't get Admin rights.

                              So are you signing in as "Administrator" when windows boots up? or some other user ID?

                              Try rebooting, and assuming you get a Windows login screen (ie its not bypassed) try username "Administrator" (if you're not already)

                              If I press F5 during boot up I get the Administrator log in option, otherwise I just log in under a normal name.

                              I use AVG anti-virus software nad it is not updating at the moment. I also use Uniblue software which also has a defrag component along with various cleaning tools. I may try uninstalling these things and see what happens.

                              I have begun thinking about a fresh install of Windows which I would love to avoid if possible.

                              Kepp the thoughts and ideas coming. It is no doubt something very simple that is playing up but it is just finding it.

                              Comment

                              Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X