Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Disk Defrag Problem

Knowing the guys on AA can fix just about anything, does anyone know why I would not be able to run the Disk Defrgamenter on Windows XP?

The error message that comes up once DD program is running and I try to defrag either of the HDDs on the machine is 'DISK DEFRAGMENTER CANNOT START'

I have uninstalled the tools/accessories in the control panel and then re-installed from the XP disc but it made no difference.

I am not very computer literate so plain english would be appreciated.

The PC is running like a pig at times and I have defragged it using Uniblue software but it doesn't ever seem to be as good as the windows one.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

thanks....

I have run the chkdsk and nothing came up at all - good or bad. It just finished and closed itself.

Please excuse my ignorance but where and how should I run the full scan disk?

I looked in control panel - admin tools and checked both drives there and both are "healthy" according to that.

It may be worth noting that the defrag prob is happening on both HDDs I have on the PC, not just one of them.

Where to next?

thanks....

I have run the chkdsk and nothing came up at all - good or bad. It just finished and closed itself.

Please excuse my ignorance but where and how should I run the full scan disk?

I looked in control panel - admin tools and checked both drives there and both are "healthy" according to that.

It may be worth noting that the defrag prob is happening on both HDDs I have on the PC, not just one of them.

Where to next?

Open "My computer" Right click on the drive i.e C Drive

click "Properties" (left click)

go to the "Tools" tab.

The 1st tool is scandisk.

select all tick boxes click start.

Do this for all you HDD if you have more than just C Drive.

Mate, this should do the trick:

http://www.andreasroom.com/blog/archive/2004/01/18/defrag.aspx

Nothing scary in there, it is just the steps to re-register and configure the XP defrag, just like new.

Cheers

Jacob

Tried all this and still no joy.....

I also tried the scan disk suggested by Emohawk and got the error message that Windows could not start or run the scan disk.

I have rebooted a couple of times after doing all the re-register stuff. I have also removed and re-installed the windows accessories again and gone through the whole process above again and no good.

Any other tricks?

Its a home PC, but when the machine is first setup you specify the 'user accounts'. By default, if I recall correctly, anything except "Admin" doesn't get Admin rights.

So are you signing in as "Administrator" when windows boots up? or some other user ID?

Try rebooting, and assuming you get a Windows login screen (ie its not bypassed) try username "Administrator" (if you're not already)

Its a home PC, but when the machine is first setup you specify the 'user accounts'. By default, if I recall correctly, anything except "Admin" doesn't get Admin rights.

So are you signing in as "Administrator" when windows boots up? or some other user ID?

Try rebooting, and assuming you get a Windows login screen (ie its not bypassed) try username "Administrator" (if you're not already)

If I press F5 during boot up I get the Administrator log in option, otherwise I just log in under a normal name.

I use AVG anti-virus software nad it is not updating at the moment. I also use Uniblue software which also has a defrag component along with various cleaning tools. I may try uninstalling these things and see what happens.

I have begun thinking about a fresh install of Windows which I would love to avoid if possible.

Kepp the thoughts and ideas coming. It is no doubt something very simple that is playing up but it is just finding it.

It says cannot start.

I haven't really played around with it in Admin mode. I just tried some of the earlier suggestions in safe /admin mode. It made no difference.

I have a feeling that it is some other software interfering with it. I have been getting some ads popping up here and there as well which I never used to get and the anti-virus won't update itself.

I agree, sounds like you've got a trojen or something there screwing things up. Last time I had to fix something like this it took me hours and I know what I'm going to a degree *sic*.

Blow it away and start again, its the only way you'll be 100% sure. Nice fresh start

Yeah....not want I want to do but it has been a couple of years probably since it has been done and I know it is probably for the best.

Thanks for all your help guys. I will probably re-post when I get stuck with re-installing windows.