Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

FU*KING HDD Crash!!! >_<

Just need a quick assessment guys.... (I've just been reamed by the computer Gods:().

OK, I had a Seagate 300Gb drive die on me was part of a RAID setup) but I managed to get all my data backed up to an external Seagate 'Freeagent' 500Gb drive. :)

I got a new drive under warranty... now just as I was about to rebuild the machine.. I knocked over the external drive :x It was on the carpet... been running all day (trucking USB1 took forever to copy stuff from my temp machine) and it fell, all of 3 inches ie these run vertical and it just fell on it's side... then there was a bad noise... no clicking or grinding..

So I'm f*cked, but what physical hard drive crash does this sound like to you??:

I can hear a loose part, I'm thinking the spindle/platter. If I rotate the drive from side to side it kinda clunks (with no power) It's like when you eject a dvd and it's still spinning or a loose cd in a case.

Anyone come across this? What could come loose? Surely not the platters?

Plus am I assuming right that I'm f*cked? I'm not powering it up again

It's less than a month old and If I open the HDD, goodbye warranty... :(

I opened the outer clam case, but all inside is the HDD with metal shielding.. I was hoping there was a fan in there that had come loose :(

Never open a hdd unless you haver the propor tools.. akaa clean room (no dust) and the speciality tools :P

Any physical hardrive sounds then bam... its basically dead.

If its under warranty then good, otherwise a new 500Gb is $129 from umart.

Seems strange that a three inch drop onto carpet screwed your harddrive

have you removed the drive from the case? and it makes this noise or is rotating the whole case making the noise ?

Yeah I took the drive out of the case. HDD is making the noise :(

im betting on a head crash in to a platter and a head or few has totaled itself.

not good.

but, *may not be* covered under warranty.

dont tell them at the store the hdd fell over. kinda dishonst, but let them figure it out

surely you had raid for redundancy?

put a fresh drive in and rebuild the array

which raid was it

Nope. It was RAID0. But i recovered all the data using Barts recovery CD... chucked it all on that external drive ... which is now borked :(

I had just got the replacement drive from warranty, about to setup the PC fresh... when this happened...

im betting on a head crash in to a platter and a head or few has totaled itself.

not good.

but, *may not be* covered under warranty.

dont tell them at the store the hdd fell over. kinda dishonst, but let them figure it out

It's from Officeworks, so I should be right. I'll just be saying it crashed.. If they don't cover it, I'm sure Seagate will.

Funny thing is my other (external) drive got dropped from the desk at work once... end cover flew off... but it's still working! This piece o' crap tipped on it's side and kicked the bucket

most decent drives do have a "shock" rating or somehting like that, a 3" fall should be well within toleracnce, should be covered by warranty.

sounds like a head crash, to me, short answer is it's completely f***ed

Depending on how desperate there are data recovery services, but they aren't cheap.

This is why I never recomend external drives for backup, hard drives have one major weakness, movement.

If I have to back up to a hard drive, Personal Preference is to back up to a hard drive already installed in the machine. Or another machine.

:(

Sounds like a send away job to me.

There's places in Aus (look on Google) that do it for around $800+ I think. And they guarantee the data too (ie: no recovery, no charge).

There is always the old freezer trick too;)?

Smit

most decent drives do have a "shock" rating or somehting like that, a 3" fall should be well within toleracnce, should be covered by warranty.

:(

NNNNoooooooooo no no no no no!

Its G force rating not shock rating thats good on HDD, and thats when they are powered OFF! when off the heads are parked and can suffer minor knocks and thats it.

A 3inch fall is all it takes and if it was on at the time its finished, the heads will scratch into the surface of the platter.

I remember having this debate with some idiots on another forum and one guy claimed you can throw a HDD down a flight of stairs and it should still work because the G force rating was 100g or something like that.:lol:lol:lol... idiots, suffice to say I dont go onto those forums nowadays.

G force rating is better and refers to how much movement stress it can handle like in a centrifuge or a car, jet whatever you happen to be cruising in at the time. for example you could load your PC in a plane and it should be OK with pretty bad turbulence but load your PC in the space shuttle for take off will probably kill it :lol

still got my Fucked HHD here from over 12months ago, a few of you boys may remember (12- 12monts of family vids & pics), the wifey dosent know yet. I rang one mob and thy quoted $1600 plus, ffs, if anyone does know of a cheaper source please share

Well I'm resigned to the fact that I won't get any data off it...

*sigh*

Looking at the positives there's isn't a tonne of critical data on there ie photos etc

I still have my x2 80Gb drives left over from my last upgrade from March last year, so I might be able to get stuff from them. Photos were backed up to about Nov last year and I havn't really taken any since.

Most of the sizeable data were DVD iso's and Xvids (most are on the xobx anyway), so I can either re-rip stuff ie I had just finished ripping 4 seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm... Will just do it again.

Losing Steam is a pain, as it's been a while since that's been backed up.

So it's a killer (especially this drive being the emergency backup!) but I should be able to live. Luckily my music and apps are on another drive.

Major contributer would have been the drive being on at the time if fell over :(

Its G force rating not shock rating thats good on HDD, and thats when they are powered OFF! when off the heads are parked and can suffer minor knocks and thats it.

A 3inch fall is all it takes and if it was on at the time its finished, the heads will scratch into the surface of the platter.

yea, shock, g force, as I said something like that, I couldn't remember the name, it's a long time since I looked at them because I'm used to handling drives from back when they were far more sensitive than today, so I don't really care about this rating.

As for being on, I missed that part. Never ever move a drive when it's on. Otherwise you're f***ed. One reason I hate USB hard drives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK update to this one (and closure).

My mum got knocked back from Office works, said that I had to go in to explain what was wrong (that's why I sent her in 'cause she'd claim ignorance and I thought they'd just swap it over :badgrin

I took it back but they just said to contact Seagate directly and they'll know if it can be replaced.

I rang Seagate thinking I'd have to get a return order number... but no, I just had to enter the drives serial number on the website.. which determined the status of the warranty.

Then filled out some details, posted it to the supplied address and then a week later I got a refurbished model in the post, no questions asked :) The whole process was tracked and took no time at all. :)

I was a bit worried about the scratches I left on the case from prying it open :evil

I'll be running this sucker horizontal from now!

Good outcome. I had a similar case with a Maxtor and used the website facility.

Only thing was they wanted about $25-30 freight to get it to me.

I talked the tech that I bought it from to do it for me through his business, and received my replacement drive.

I ended up receiving a larger drive as my original drive size was outdated. :D