Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

CCleaner Alternative?

Never been fussed before, but whilst learning how to remove some unwanted apps from the computer I came across discussions and alternatives for CCleaner.

It not being safe?.......is what I'm reading just propaganda?

Should I be worried using it?

I take on board what fellow AAers think and would like to know if I should be using something else?

For Windows 7.

Cheers!

• Administrators

CC Cleaner used to be a great app but honestly its no longer required, especially for Windows 10. I know you're stating Windows 7 but even then its pretty much useless. The bigger issue now is that it was bought by the Parent Company of Avast and all of their products including Avast gather, store and sell ALL of your User and Machine's Telemetry data.

If you're comfortable with then then fine but the Utility is doing bugger all for you.

What is it you're actually trying to do here as there is definitely a better way to do it.

Cheers,

Brad

CC Cleaner used to be a great app but honestly its no longer required, especially for Windows 10. I know you're stating Windows 7 but even then its pretty much useless. The bigger issue now is that it was bought by the Parent Company of Avast and all of their products including Avast gather, store and sell ALL of your User and Machine's Telemetry data.

If you're comfortable with then then fine but the Utility is doing bugger all for you.

What is it you're actually trying to do here as there is definitely a better way to do it.

Cheers,

Brad

All that CCleaner claims to do. I have found that even on a slower pass/clean that I need to run it again to remove trackers, and sometimes again there's one's that are still there.

Didn't like what I read hence my post.

I need/welcome any advice and recommendations for alternatives.

I don't even know what a 'tracker' is but as they get removed, again I assume, that they shouldn't be there and/or don't need to be there.

I'm sure there's some smart clued on AAers that have their computer set up well, and even they may have different opinions on products but ultimately they are going online and shutting down worry free.

I pay for Malwarebytes premium, but I am only assuming it is doing what it claims to be doing.

• Administrators

The problem is that you're really trying to stamp every ant in an ant hill.

I think what you're attempting is to be 100% confident that your machine is issue free using a 3rd party tool. Unfortunately in modern computing this is virtually impossible unless you're an expert and take next level precautions and computer use practices to an extreme.

Trackers are interesting as many/most are now cookie based. Hit a web-site, receive a cookie. On many you even have to agree to it! To get around that you need to use a secure browser. Brave is a decent option https://brave.com/features.

Thing is, if you use Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or any other social media website, they're already tracking everything you do. Hell even Windows, Ubuntu and Apple collect and keep telemetry data so the option there is to use a secure run time only OS. Of course this doesn't stop web-sites and social media platforms from collecting data from your feeds so the option there is to opt out if practical.

From a system "clean" perspective you're already using Malware Bytes which is a decent product, but like ALL of them its not 100% fool proof. I don't use anything other than browser plugins such as uBlock Origin and NoScript. Windows 10's security features are on par now with 3rd party tools so I don't bother and I generally know what I'm doing.

For disk cleanup, the windows disk cleanup tools in Windows 7, 8 and 10 work very well so stick with them.

Cheers,

Brad

hijackthis but you need to know what you are doing. What is your problem and why do you have it in the first place is a better question :)

What is my problem......:lol how long have you got? Ahhhh, you brought a smile to my face.

Why do I have CCleaner?

As I said, I know FA about computers, but it is there to remove the added on crap that isn't necessary, like washing your hands with soap........does that analogy make sense?

Something quick and easy that can be used after being online to, I guess, clean it.

- - - Updated - - -

@Brad Your reply is spot on.

I typed disc clean up in the Windows 'search programs and files" and nothing came up.

Ah, see this is how stupid I really am.

I reread your post and see that disc is spelled with a K and I used a c, tried again and there it was, 9meg of something to remove.

So do you suggest uninstalling CCleaner ?

• Administrators

So do you suggest uninstalling CCleaner ?

Personally I would. I last used that product back in the Windows XP days. Its had its run and is no longer relevant and in fact more detrimental imo.

For online stuff, honestly don't use Internet Explorer of Edge. Use either Firefox or Chrome and install uBlock Origin and NoScript addons. Then be reasonably smart about your online choices (the usual don't click flashing ads saying your computer is in trouble blah blah) etc.

You can regularly clear your browser's cache under Options for each browser which gives you the ability to clear cookies etc. From memory there is even a setting to empty it each time you close it.

Cheers,

Brad

it's actually my wife's computer, I recently removed Firefox and have been learning to use Chrome which she loves.

I will check out the uBlock Origin and NoScript addons.......then run them by her :rolleyes

Checked out Brave and with my next to zero computer knowledge it seemed great.

Personally I would. I last used that product back in the Windows XP days. Its had its run and is no longer relevant and in fact more detrimental imo.

For online stuff, honestly don't use Internet Explorer of Edge. Use either Firefox or Chrome and install uBlock Origin and NoScript addons. Then be reasonably smart about your online choices (the usual don't click flashing ads saying your computer is in trouble blah blah) etc.

You can regularly clear your browser's cache under Options for each browser which gives you the ability to clear cookies etc. From memory there is even a setting to empty it each time you close it.

Cheers,

Brad

thanks @Brad. I didn't know about ublock origins in firefox. I was getting a lot of ads in ebay and gumtree. Just installed ublock origins and now all gone!

not that I understand what it's doing but uBlock appears to be working.

underneath the badge icon is a 1, might it be requests blocked? if so what is a 'request'?

I understand if this doesn't get answered as this thread will be my learning curve, and may take a while.......with lots of questions :confused:

• Administrators

If you click the uBlock Icon and then click the Requests Blocked text it will open up the details tab and show you whats its blocking. You can elect to ublock/block almost anything.

The number is how many things its blocked on whatever page you're on.

Brad

• Administrators
on AA it shows ++ and a - for google-analytics.com, so it's blocking a request from them?

Yes AA has the Facebook integration module installed allowing members to post links directly to Facebook etc and Google's website analytics installed which is a standard module that many websites use to grab usage statistics. That's sort of stuff has been around for decades though

And yes it IS blocking requests from those by default.

Brad

Never been fussed before, but whilst learning how to remove some unwanted apps from the computer I came across discussions and alternatives for CCleaner.

It not being safe?.......is what I'm reading just propaganda?

Should I be worried using it?

I take on board what fellow AAers think and would like to know if I should be using something else?

For Windows 7.

Cheers!

...So do you suggest uninstalling CCleaner ?

When the makers of CCleaner mention in their blog that they have been compromised, I wouldn't call it propaganda ;)

https://blog.avast.com/ccleaner-fights-off-cyberespionage-attempt-abiss

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/10/avast-nordvpn-breaches-tied-to-phantom-user-accounts/

• 3 months later...