Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

Given that you are using XP and connected to the internet I would be worried about how secure the OS is. If you have $0 to spend on a replacement PC and not time poor, I would backup my user data and do a fresh install of the OS and any critical software. No guarantees though that you won't be back in the same position very quickly given that the OS hasn't been supported by Microsoft for many years.

However, if you can spare between $20-$80 I would grab a second hand unit from Evans & Clarke (eg https://www.evansclarke.com.au/detail.aspx?id=1415115 )

Any of these Windows 8 machines can be loaded with a current copy of Windows 10 downloaded & activated for free from Microsoft. Reinstall your user applications and copy your data back on and hey presto... welcome to the new millennium.

Personally, I think you should be proud you have gotten as long as you have out of your old system and give at a graceful and dignified end. No-one likes to see an old faithful dog beaten to near death.

I don't know if anyone can help me on this part of Aussie Arcade. I usually stay around the pnball area :D

I have an old computer but it does the job for me. I don't do much at all - some internet browsing, e-mails, word docs etc. Music editing using Goldwave is about as complicated as it gets for me.

My computer uses Windows XP, has 75 gigs of memory, 1 gb RAM and it says the CPU is 3.33GHz.

I can't do much at the moment cos it is running at 100%. When I press ctrl-alt-del it comes up that Avast is using 99%. But when I open Mozilla Firefox it then splits the 100% between those two. When open a word document it just freezes.

I have very minimal computer knowledge so have no idea what to do.

I have run all the easy diagnostic stuff in CC cleaner, wiped free space etc to no avail.

Normally it runs fine for what I do.

Does anyone have any ideas? Please don't say I need to get a new computer as I would rather spend my money on more worthwhile things - like pinball machines :lol

Or if you are really dedicated to not upgrading the machine you might get a couple more miles by going the Linux route (open source OS), but that is a bit like learning a new language perhaps.... :guru:

Linux has some great benefits but also as always there are the downsides. I have used both windows and Linux.

+1 to a Backup of important files/programs and a clean install of XP ~ keep in mind ideally you will need to eventually upgrade OS/machine as XP isn't supported anymore and is susceptible

Not sure how much work Avast is doing to protect you since you are running an end of life OS, maybe try uninstalling that too? see if that changes anything

You should just backup your photos, music & documents format the C drive & install Linux Mint. It's free works & feels like XP but doesn't need any anti-Virus software & is so fast you wont believe it. Also all the office type software comes with it free too! I use the 64bit xfce installation.

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

I removed Avast and now the computer is running really fast!!

Thanks heaps :D

Now I have to think of another antivirus to run. THinking of Malwarebytes as it's already on the computer.

I understand that I am not protected by Microsoft running Windos XP, so I am removing my personal files from the computer and only using them on my non-internet computer.

Ahh so there were multiple antivirus programs on there... ?

Something I discovered some time ago is that AV programs tend to see each other as viruses and fight (some cases to the Death) for dominance.

Golden rule only one virus program on any given computer.

Malware Bites? :)

Like Gemini2544 I mostly use Linux on the web and don't dabble in "virus software" much at all, so can't really advise anything specific. So many pros and Cons with virus software!

Once I realised most viruses detected by virus software were really coming from other virus software, I don't use anything on windows either. I'm not promiscuous on the net, only visiting legit reputable sites, don't put random sticks in my slot either :confused: . For my situation (with minimal uses/need) ditching virus software on my computers was the best thing I ever did. No internet banking or anything serious utilised either.

I have two boxes; one is not connected to the internet and therefore has no antivirus/firewalls etcetc.

The one I have had the problem with is the other one which is connected to the net and has always had antivirus stuff running. Many years ago I got hacked and didn't enjoy it.

- - - Updated - - -

I consider myself reasonably intelligent but have never had to do much with computers - read earlier posts - so the thought of installing a new os is scary as f%#k. I was spoilt having a mate that built computers for a living. He would come over and do any maintenance stuff and as said previously, built my computers.

I do have my personal files backed up - on 3 separate usb sticks and 2 portable hard-drives :lol

My music collection - over 1,300 cd's is also backed up twice - two copies in wav form and two copies in mp3 form. :D

Bear in mind for any longer term storage, reliability, optical disc is probably both most secure and best bang for buck, as a result.

USB drive or Solid State Drive gets more unstable with time. Magnetic hard disks can also degrade, are fragile and easily damaged, heavy... also both are suceptible to effects of E.M. fields.

CD's are relatively easy to store safely, reliable long term, and fairly cheap.

Also OS's... Linux gets hard for most because it requires you to get out of microsofts virtual world, and back to basics.

You should see my CD bookshelf.........huuuuge

Btw what is optical disc?

Any "disc" that uses "optics" to store information, I guess? :unsure

:lol :D

Yes all the "CD" variants fit into this category including bluray etc. and whatever sizes. ;)

To "burn" data you need a DVD R/W etc. etc. (writeable) disc, and appropriate "burning" capable drive (most drives these days).

So what your saying is Cd or Dvd is a better storage medium for avoiding degrading than USB or portable hard drive....

Yeah, talking 5-10 years of age and USB flash drives and other kinds of SSD. As age increases likelihood of corrupt data increases.

Magnetic hard drive, probably better than SSD/USB long term data retention wise, but drop it more than an inch or two, or it cops any significant EM and you will have some corrupt data.

Optical storage is lightweight, cheap, reliable and compact. Stored well they wont change or lose their data state. Not suceptible to magnetisim. Just have to keep them dry and out of light, in covers so they stay clean and unmarked. Cheap and effective. Still have two backup copies in different locations.

All you need to do is download the Linux Mint download, Burn it to a disk put it in the cd/dvd drive & boot the computer. If all goes well it starts in linux mint to give you a look, if you like it click on the install icon and EVERYTHING is done for you. Without sounding rude, it's idiot proof.

Not rude at all! When it comes to computers, I am an idiot :lol

Thanks heaps for the advice :D

At least it's running again. I will plan ahead for the eventual failure. It can't run forever....

You do know that 95, 98, XP, Vista & virus updates for them are now longer supported.....NO UPDATES AVAILABLE.

Yep, after starting this thread I do. I've deleted my personal files and will only use them on my non internet computer.

I will get a new computer asap.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an Earthshaker......so a bit low on funds at present :o

BTW do you want to sell your Wild Life? :D

Your going to hate Windows 10, It's awful IMO. As to my Wild life Pm me,

CPU now mostly running under 25%.

Which one is the best: AVG, Malwarebytes or Avira?

I think Malwarebytes and AVG are two different types of programs.

MalwareBytes will detect malware while AVG will detect viruses. I used to have MalwareBytes and Avast installed at the same time, I think because MalwareBytes doesn't stay resident and only ran when I want it to run.

But two anti-virus programs running at once would cause problems as you noticed. I had this issue with either AVG or Avast running at the same time as Microsoft's anti-virus that came with Windows 7 Pro.

I have not used Avira, there are a few common anti-virus programs, I think AVG and Avast are two good ones, I use Avast on my Windows 7 machines.

• 1 month later...

MS isn't patching vulnerabilities in Windows XP anymore, but as long as the OP is running with the standard security settings the only way their computer is vulnerable is if they download malicious software, same as any modern computer. If someone sophisticated enough to take advantage of exploits was targeting OP, a fully patched operating system probably would't help that much.

The bigger concern is what software they are running, for example the last version of Firefox for XP has several documented vulnerabilities.

Antivirus protects users from what they download, but at the expense of performance. It's a personal choice whether or not it's worth it.

OP, if you want to keep your computer but run modern software, consider some free 3rd party operating systems based of Linux like Debian, Ubuntu, Android-x86 or Neverware CloudReady (Chrome-OS). They come with easy to use installers, but they can also be run from a flash drive without changing anything on your hard drive.

Your going to hate Windows 10, It's awful IMO.

Unfortunately most modern software does a ton garbage in the background. Today's devs view any computer that isn't pegged as an opportunity to collect personal data, or force download Minecraft. They also prioritize features over performance now that computers are fast enough to hide bad programming.

Bear in mind for any longer term storage, reliability, optical disc is probably both most secure and best bang for buck, as a result.

In my experience, CDs degrade somewhere between 2-10 years depending on how well they were stored. Personally, I found flash storage to be more reliable, and way more cheap, compact, and faster.