This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mega View Post
    What are the differences between the e16 package and enlightenment? I can't seem to install both to find out which one I would like the best.

e16 is the stable version

e17 is unstable and is the latest and greatest with all sorts of whizz-bang do-dads

having said that, playing round with my celeron machine last night, running e17 i did not have any drams with it
    rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on
    if your new to electronics and

Comment

• Originally posted by The Pinny Parlour View Post
      Compiz Fusion is constantly OFF on my PC. Nice for 'ohhhs and ahhhs', other than that, completely useless to me.
      The one and only thing I liked about it was the feature they ripped off from MacOSX where you could whack a button and all your open windows would scale/tile up on your desktop, from there you could click the window you want and you'd bring that desktop/window to the front.

It was good back when I was working on a lot of things at once a few jobs back. But these days I spend 99% of my day in a command-line terminal (and the other 1% answering emails), so I don't use it any more. Even when I did use that one feature, I turned all the wobbly windows and crap off. I did notice too that Compiz being on sucks your laptop battery a hell of a lot quicker due to your 3D card working harder, which wasn't great when I was on the road.

Originally posted by dezrae View Post
      i have installed "enlightenment" desktop on my ubuntu machine now...

whacko the dilly-oh i must say.
      Enlightenment has always been the eye-candy king of Linux. The problem is they take bloody ages to release stuff. e17's been worked on for something like 5+ years now, which is nuts when you consider what else has happened in Linux-land in the last 5 years.
      | |

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by StevOz View Post

aaahhh... you figured how to wrap the desktop round like a cyclinder

u can do this in ubuntu ultimate edition
          http://ultimateedition.info/
          rc forums looking for cabinet pc atx power supply for 12/5 volt for mame cabinet and turn it on

Comment

• Originally posted by dezrae View Post
            aaahhh... you figured how to wrap the desktop round like a cyclinder

u can do this in ubuntu ultimate edition
            http://ultimateedition.info/
            Ah but this aint ubuntu ultimate or otherwise it's Linux Mint Elyssa and I can do the sphere effect to.

Originally posted by merlwiz79
            Originally posted by nelamvr6
            It's not the latest Compiz though, no sphere deformation...
            Add these to the sources.list and use mintUpdate to install all compiz updates.
            deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/compiz/ubuntu hardy main
            deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/compiz/ubuntu hardy main
            Update packages:
            Code:
            apt install libdecoration0 compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins libcompizconfig0 compizconfig-settings-manager python-compizconfig
            You can now go to System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager and enable Cube Reflection and Deformation
            Change Deformation to sphere.
            Change in General Horizontal Virtual size to 4
            XFCE Defaults:
            General --> Display Settings --> Texture Filter --> Fast
            General --> Focus & Raise Behaviour --> Focus Prevention Level --> Off
            Although I didn't use that apt install command just had to edit my sources.list file then run mint update.
            Last edited by StevOz; 9th September 2008, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by StevOz View Post
              Ah but this aint ubuntu ultimate or otherwise it's Linux Mint Elyssa and I can do the sphere effect to.

Although I didn't use that apt install command just had to edit my sources.list file then run mint update.

aaaahhhhhh... very clever you are.

Linux Mint is on my list of linux distros to check out.

Comment

• Nice work guys, my favorite distro is Linux Mint 12 Lisa, I loved it

Comment

• im using xubuntu 12.04 at the moment (xfce). i love the GUI i find it much more friendly then ubuntu 12.04 (gnome)

Comment

• I see that there is a Linux Mint hardware.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2055

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan555 View Post
                      I see that there is a Linux Mint hardware.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2055

Thank for this post. That is very interesting and nice to know.
                      The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

• Mintbox 2 will be out soon.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2383

Comment

• Im starting to look at upgrade options for my 12.04 installs (Me & Wife) and 10.04 (Relatives).

I have real (Physical) issues with the current direction of Gnome & Unity.
                          By that I mean: My wife's PC is a FitPC3. Works great - Silent and reliable.
                          However, Running Ubuntu Unity 3d REALY GETS THIS UNIT HOT - 24hrs - even when not in use!
                          I'm guessing that the desktop in 3d is activating ALL the GFX proccessing - Which is producing the excess heat (& power wastage).
                          As such - The fit PC now uses Unity 2d. Runs cool as it should, And I'm happy.

But with 14.04 looming closer - I believe there is no Unity 2d option.
                          For non HW accelerated machines - This is now done in SW.
                          ...Who knows if the 3d options will be able to be disabled or if they are now permanant inclusions...
                          All this is besides the point, As I will be looking to using a Distro that uses Wayland (X11's replacement).
                          *I'm not interested in a phone UI mirrored on the desktop UI that is Unity/Mir.

We need a new LTS distro with a sane 2d desktop moving on to wayland. Either Deb or Rpm based.
                          For example: If Mint made their Debian based distro as LTS.
                          (They would eat a large chunk of Ubuntu userbase I suspect).

Comment

• I run Ubuntu 13 on my mame cocktail , runs fine note its got a gpu card but I did load the latest nvidia drivers.

What's cool is the package manager includes mame and you get a mame icon and a basic menu to launch games.

Comment

• I was going thru my hdd pile and found one with mandriva 2009 loaded nfi how to work it out yet and unsure if it was a good build?
                              you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X