Clear All

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	2118515
    This is the type I'm chasing.
    I just dropped the ram, a few audio cables and the stubby coolers\coasters at the shed. Also dropped down the coolers\coasters for Brad there too. Figured it might be an easier pickup location for him. Hope this was ok

Comment

Originally posted by Andyj965 View Post

I just dropped the ram, a few audio cables and the stubby coolers\coasters at the shed. Also dropped down the coolers\coasters for Brad there too. Figured it might be an easier pickup location for him. Hope this was ok
      Thanks Andy. Forgot all about those. Really appreciated

Cheers,

Brad
      My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post

Thanks Andy. Forgot all about those. Really appreciated

Cheers,

Brad
        No worries mate

Comment

Free retro games.
          https://www.gog.com/partner/stay_at_home

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan555 View Post
            Games nostalgia is great too for free games

cranking out quake and blake stone atm
            you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

Originally posted by fwaggle View Post

Any interest in the user manual for this? I have one that's water damaged (still readable, but not flat and the front cover is haggard), been going to remove the bindings (it's spiral bound, so should be non-destructive if I'm careful), run it through the scanner and send the pdf to bitsavers... but if you're interested you can have it?
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200322_162859.jpg Views:	0 Size:	211.5 KB ID:	2119704
              Found my manual mate and its complete and in not bad condition.
              Thanks again for the offer though!

Originally posted by Andyj965 View Post

Another shout out to Andy. Got your "care package" mate and Brad got your stubby coolers here too.

Next computer on the list is the ZX Spectrum another computer I have no nostalgic attachment to. Back in the day I used to see ZX Spectrum screen shots of games in 8 bit mags and think what a heap of shit.....fast forward 30 years and how wrong was I.
              After watching You Tube videos on the history of the UK computer scene this little Z80 based computer that looked like a giant calculator deserves its place in computer history. I'd put it on par with the if not a little higher (dare I say) than the C64, not because it had great graphics and sound but because it was cheap, could be bought in kit or fully assembled and started the UK bedroom coder revolution.
              Anybody not familiar with the Sinclair Spectrum should go and do a search on Youtube post haste.
              I recommend Micro Men.

Kim Justice makes a lot of good videos on the history of the UK Computer scene as well.
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...yt2cdiQYjxS_1w

On a side note the Amstrad CTM-644 monitor I have is perfect for a lot of UK computers which mostly have in built speakers.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200322_161701.jpg Views:	0 Size:	239.6 KB ID:	2119697
              I bought this CTM-644 to scart adapter off Ebay, works great.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200322_162457.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.2 KB ID:	2119699
              I never was able to get my hands on an original 16/48k dead flesh keyboard speccy but I do have the sought after 128k "Toast Rack" model. They call it the Toast Rack due to the heatsink on the side.
              The significance of this machine being it was the last ZX Spectrum made by Sinclair before being bought out by Amstrad in 1985.
              I really love the look of this thing. The keyboard looks nice but is terrible to type on. The other significance of this machine (and all that followed it) was the added AY-3-8912 sound chip. All previous models just had a beeper similar to old PC's...but sounded worse.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200322_161605.jpg Views:	0 Size:	195.8 KB ID:	2119696
              The other one I have is the Spectrum +3. This was the last Speccy ever made and you can see the Amstrad influence with the same 3" drive as the Amstrad CPC 6128 in the previous post and similar look.
              I really like the keyboard on this however not a fan of the Amstrad "all in one" look. I've got my HXC floppy emulator hooked up to this as drive B transferring files to the internal drive to make sure it worked.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200322_161734.jpg Views:	0 Size:	242.1 KB ID:	2119698 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200322_161954.jpg Views:	0 Size:	260.5 KB ID:	2119700
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200322_162127.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.3 KB ID:	2119703 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200322_162805.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.7 KB ID:	2119705
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image_148897.jpg Views:	7 Size:	113.2 KB ID:	2119702
              Some Speccy games, a lot which were monochrome. The ZX is also famous (or infamous) for its colour clash.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200322_162210.jpg Views:	0 Size:	197.4 KB ID:	2119701
              If you ever get a Speccy I recommend the DivMMC Future.
              Over all a really cool computer that im glad to have in my collection.

Comment

Sinclair made the QL500 after the Spectrum, but you probably know that.. Then he went a bit mad and made the Sinclair C5 - Google it if you don't know

But you probably do...

Comment

Originally posted by WOKA View Post
                  Sinclair made the QL500 after the Spectrum, but you probably know that.. Then he went a bit mad and made the Sinclair C5 - Google it if you don't know

But you probably do...

Seriously though I don't own a QL only the ZX so I never mentioned it and they aren't compatible but still an interesting computer.

That movie I linked to has Uncle Clive driving his C5
                  shame it never took off....and I mean literally it never took off or went up hills.

Comment

I had a QL for a while as part of the collection, a bit of a dull machine really as there is next to no software for it, and what there is looks very basic. I couldn't find anything that really taxed the machine.

On the speccy it's worth checking out some of the games that use modern multicolour engines like Bifrost and Nirvana. Totally amazing what can be achieved with these on stock hardware, would have been game changers back in the day.
                    Sic transit gloria Atari!

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                      I had a QL for a while as part of the collection, a bit of a dull machine really as there is next to no software for it, and what there is looks very basic. I couldn't find anything that really taxed the machine.

On the speccy it's worth checking out some of the games that use modern multicolour engines like Bifrost and Nirvana. Totally amazing what can be achieved with these on stock hardware, would have been game changers back in the day.
                      What's your nostalgic favorite?

Comment

Next up and just because its already in here is my Amstrad CPC 6128. I bought this computer from the UK for a really good price before GST and the poor AUD ruined all the fun.
                        I also serviced the monitor and put a new belt in the 3" drive.
                        Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200318_171212.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.5 KB ID:	2118650
                        I've got no nostalgic attachment to this computer however since collecting retro computers I've gained a lot of Interest and respect for the UK computer scene. I've also got the original CPC 464 with integrated tape deck.
                        The defining thing about Amstrad was their all in 1 design. There's only one power cable to the monitor where the the computer. The monitor supplies the power for the computer. A very neat and tidy design however the computer itself is very long and takes up a bit of desk real estate. CP/M is another interesting feature.
                        Graphics are colourful and reminds me of the Sega Master System pallet which look far nicer than the C64 however no hardware sprites and scrolling unlike the C64 though.
                        Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200318_174042.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.9 KB ID:	2118651
                        Another strange thing is the 3" disks this thing uses.
                        Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200318_171835.jpg Views:	0 Size:	244.2 KB ID:	2118647 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200318_172011.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.5 KB ID:	2118644
                        Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200318_173941.jpg Views:	0 Size:	263.7 KB ID:	2118645 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200318_173110.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.2 KB ID:	2118646
                        Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200318_172106.jpg Views:	0 Size:	229.7 KB ID:	2118648 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20200318_172836.jpg Views:	0 Size:	270.6 KB ID:	2118649
                        I got a bunch of games that came with them, some of which don't work
                        Overall another nice addition to the collection although I wouldn't call it a favorite it's still cool to own.
                        It's really worth going to Youtube and watching some history videos on Alan Sugar, Amstrad and the UK computer scene, a very interesting subject.
                        My grandparents had TWO Amstrad PC1512, one with a HDD too! I then owned this model for a number of years unti the thing just never turned on, so I strupidly sold it on ebay for next to nothing, one of my biggest regrets ever...

Comment

Originally posted by djgra79 View Post

My grandparents had TWO Amstrad PC1512, one with a HDD too! I then owned this model for a number of years unti the thing just never turned on, so I strupidly sold it on ebay for next to nothing, one of my biggest regrets ever...
                          I feel your pain brother.
                          While I got the CTM-644 out I may as well plug in the original CPC 464.

Name:	IMG_20200324_165455.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	2119935
                          Look at the size of this thing, you could use it as a cricket bat.
                          I've never had any Amstrad tape games so this is the first time I've loaded anything on it or really used it. At first games never loaded so I changed the belt and adjusted the tape head a bit and now it works perfectly.

Name:	IMG_20200324_165848.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	2119933 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200324_170125.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	2119938

Name:	IMG_20200324_170533.jpg
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	2119934 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200324_171540.jpg
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	2119936

Name:	IMG_20200324_171642.jpg
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	2119937 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200324_171835.jpg
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	2119939
                          These the only games on tape I own and yes I do have a thing for Head over Heels.

Comment

What's your nostalgic favorite?
                            Machine wise it would be the ZX Spectrum 48k, that was my only machine for about ten years, until I bought a second hand Atari ST. On the games side it would be Gunfright, one of Ultimate's isometric titles. Is probably the least rated of their games but I always used to play it as a kid, its still good for a quick spin.
                            Sic transit gloria Atari!

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                            Working...
                            X