Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microbee - The Australian Educational Computer of the 80s

Stumbled across this.
    Did anybody have these in their school or own one even now?

Yep had Them in our school in about 1987.
    only remember the one Game called lemonade stall .
    very blocky graphics.
    Wanted funhouse and taxi pinballs.

Comment

I been offered one from a collector few towns away but havent followed much up atm
      you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

I used them in high school and then i owned one. I learned BASIC and wrote some gambling games with some half decent graphics. My fave game was Taipan. Check this link out, it's a Microbee emulator.
        http://nanowasp.org/

Comment

We had them at high school in about 1987-90, I won a comp in programing a ten-pin bowling game for our school. very basic just a great little machine for the time.

Comment

I've scanned a ton of Microbee books and magazines, posted publicly to my Google Drive link here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...1k?usp=sharing
            I post links to the root of the drive which is less prone to changing dynamically, simply double click on the green folder 'Scanned Book and Magazine Collection' and open Microbee.
            I have also done 600dpi flatbed scans of glossy Microbee brochures such as their Telecom computer - all in the link.

Huge effort to scan every edition of their Microbee Online magazine only to be hit with a takedown notice. Apparently the Microbee Preservation Society have scanned the magazines themselves, and when I saw their PDFs I knew they were missing out on my quality. I am allowed to give people the files but am not allowed to publicly link to them. So if anyone wants the magazines let me know via PM.

I have collected a few Microbee machines but ultimately didn't like them as much as my Apple // and Commodore gear. Anyway I keep the hardware (boxed) in storage nowadays.

Comment

What would you say they are equivalent to? a system 80??

Comment

They pull a good price when up for sale. They were Australia's answer to the TRS-80 so to speak.
                Gemini2544's 4th Pinball meet Saturday 21/03/2020

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                  What would you say they are equivalent to? a system 80??
                  A bit better if I remember correctly, but not much. We had one Microbee and 2 Dick Smith System 80's at my high school when I finished in 1986.
                  I seems to remember that Microbee had sprite construction tools so you could manufacture useless little pictures the size of a 5c piece
                  ************************************************** *******************
                  Remember--The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Comment

The system 80 did come out with an optional "Extended Graphic card" which gave you Upper & lowercase text & heaps of object graphics characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini2544 View Post
                      The system 80 did come out with an optional "Extended Graphic card" which gave you Upper & lowercase text & heaps of object graphics characters.
                      Yeah, but it was like punching a brick every time you had to type a word
                      ************************************************** *******************
                      Remember--The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Comment

Originally posted by furballx View Post

What! you had computers at school? Is that what they called chalk and slate?

Comment

Originally posted by furballx View Post

Still amazes me what program's you could write with 16k of memory. Today 16k isn't even an emoji..

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                          Working...
                          X