Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virus Protection advice

Hi all,

I just bought an Acer laptop for my son and I was wondering which Virus Protection software to use? The laptop is running Windows 10 Home and a 30-day trial of Norton.

Cheers,
    Matthew

I use the Windows Defender Anti virus protection that's supplied free with Windows 10 Home or it now might be called Windows Security as I just checked. Never seem to have had an issue to date and it's been years and doesn't slow the computer and continually updates. I replaced this with the Norton 360 and glad I did, was sick of paying for effectively the same product.

Comment

In-built Windows virus is surprisingly effective, especially if you have the UAC settings on Windows set to a medium or high setting. Couple that with a weekly sweep using Malwarebytes free version and you're gold.

Unless you're a total numpty who clicks on email attachments from unknown senders, or click yes on every dialog box that pops up when using the internet. If you do that, you are beyond redemption and deserve all the viruses and malware you get

Always remember, viruses and malware cannot just magically infect your PC, they always require some kind of user intervention to install in the first place.

As for Norton, piss that shit off right now. It's a disaster of a piece of software. It's a useless, bloated piece of shit that requires a subscription and will do nothing but slow your PC down and cause issues. Norton is quite possibly the worst anti-virus software ever created.

Comment

+1 to Winsec and never put off Win updates
        The universe is made up of protons, electrons, neutrons and morons.

Comment

you said it was your son.. how old is your son? young adults and the majority of boomers are ****ing terrible for spyware
          sigpic

Comment

I haven't used Norton for many years for the reasons above. i have been very happy with AGV free for all those years though.
            In; Deadpool, The Hobbit, Whirlwind, Genie, Lost World, Hurricane, Pinball Magic, Royal Flush,
            Tommy, Spy Hunter, Orbit 1, Sorcerer, Tales from The Crypt, Houdini, Flash, Street Fighter 2.
            Looking for;
            Space Invaders, Ripleys Believe It or Not.

Comment

I use Malwarebytes and been doing so for years 10/10

Comment

I also use malwarebytes for spyware, but you need anti virus too.
                In; Deadpool, The Hobbit, Whirlwind, Genie, Lost World, Hurricane, Pinball Magic, Royal Flush,
                Tommy, Spy Hunter, Orbit 1, Sorcerer, Tales from The Crypt, Houdini, Flash, Street Fighter 2.
                Looking for;
                Space Invaders, Ripleys Believe It or Not.

Comment

I haven't seen a virus since I owned my Atari ST, most Antivirus is bloatware these days.
                  Between Malwarebytes and Windows defender I've never had an issue.
                  You're only going to get infected if you visit and download from seedy sites or silly enough to click on links and open attachments from dodgy emails.
                  This is just my personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                    You're only going to get infected if you visit and download from seedy sites or silly enough to click on links and open attachments from dodgy emails.
                    ce.
                    /me logs out of Aussie Arcade and deletes from favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Pop Bumper Pete View Post
                      /me logs out of Aussie Arcade and deletes from favorites
                      Too late you're infected with love.

Comment

I use Kaspersky Total Internet Security and it has never let me down.

Best thing about it is that it does not hog cpu or ram resources like most anti virus software, does its thing in the background, and I have never been infected with any virus or malware whatsoever.

I install and run malware bytes every 6 months or so just for peace of mind, and it finds nothing which proves Kaspersky is doing its job

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
                          I haven't seen a virus since I owned my Atari ST, most Antivirus is bloatware these days.
                          Between Malwarebytes and Windows defender I've never had an issue.
                          This is just my personal experience.
                          You had an Atari ST..the King of computers, I had one too !

Comment

Originally posted by thegrunta666 View Post
                            You had an Atari ST..the King of computers, I had one too !
                            Amiga owner here begs to differ ;P

Btw, I don't run AV much like everyone else. Be smart and you'll be safe

Brad
                            My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

Anti virus, mmm, well I had a flu shot this year, otherwise Iím like AK and Brad (oh god, did I say that?)

I thought Vic 20 was the king of computers

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade
                              "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 2 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X