Help recover files from my old HDD please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help recover files from my old HDD please

I have a Toshiba SATA HDD that I removed from my failed Toshiba laptop that was password protected and running Windows 7
    This drive has 5 years of my life that I wish to access.

I purchased a USB adapter but when I open to look at folders I cant locate my pictures or documents

I know the password but there is no option to apply.
    I tried to change security settings for access was a no go
    Spent a while searching the web to no avail.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ando

Click image for larger version

Name:	pc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1910816
    Pinball, Its an Addiction

You need to goto properties, security, advanced security and then take ownership of the files.

Comment

so is there anything in e:/users/yourusername/ at all ? as this is where your documents and pics will be is you used windows default save paths.

if you can't see anything, try enabling the 'show hidden files' option - do a properties check of the folder and make sure 'hidden' is not box checked.

Comment

Use a Linux live CD. Iíve had success with them reading NTFS partitions and copying the files.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Comment

As stated above, you'll need to take ownership of the files and folders to be able to access them in windows. If it doesn't work via Windows Security tab for some reason then try this handy little program "Take Ownership Pro" : https://www.top-password.com/take-ownership-pro.html

I have had success with it in the past if windows has had issues.

Comment

My in-laws contacted me with same issue.

Which USB adapter did you buy?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOZLAD View Post
              My in-laws contacted me with same issue.

Which USB adapter did you buy?

Cheapie off epay

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-3-0-...8AAOSwI01cT8jT

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by stuzza View Post
              As stated above, you'll need to take ownership of the files and folders to be able to access them in windows. If it doesn't work via Windows Security tab for some reason then try this handy little program "Take Ownership Pro" : https://www.top-password.com/take-ownership-pro.html

I have had success with it in the past if windows has had issues.
              Trying this now, Thanks
              Pinball, Its an Addiction

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Hooked it up today and it works a treat.

Comment

...and then I sent the drive and cable back to its owners and when it got there the drive partition was corrupt!

Maybe I didnít safely remove or something, I donít know

Probably a good tip is if you get the drive up and running with these cables, immediately copy the files you want off the drive.

Comment

Definitely, when recovering sensitive data the first step should always be to make a copy of everything before manipulating data. Making a complete image is usually safer than copying files individually, since it avoids compatibility issues or glitches and copies over metadata (picture locations, dates, etc.) and corrupted or deleted files that can be recovered later.
                      To get around broken permissions in NTFS, it's usually better to just use software that ignores UAC permissions than trying to change them. Anything that doesn't have UAC, like Linux, Windows XP, MacOS, should see everything just fine.
                      Windows is generally a bad choice for data recovery, since it does a lot of automatic things (mounting, caching, indexing, etc) that can corrupt or kill a drive on it's last legs, and it doesn't deal with data corruption well. Linux is free and easily runs from a DVD or flash drive so it might be a good idea to check it out!
                      It's possible the drive broke during the recovery process, or maybe during shipping. Packing the drive with enough padding and tight enough so that it doesn't move in the box will reduce the chance it breaks, but it's impossible to eliminate completely. Always make backups before shipping!
                      Hope this helped!

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                      Working...
                      X