Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Quest/Space Quest

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Police Quest/Space Quest

    Have a nagging to play these again

    anyone remember them

    used to love the Larry series and how those square bobbies were just the best

    where can you find these games these days and will they run ok on modern pc's

  • #2
    Well if you want to do it legally, Steam has these Sierra Classics available.

    https://store.steampowered.com/news/23840/

    You can also get all of the Space Quest and Police Quest games on Good Old Games, plus a bunch of other Sierra titles.

    https://www.gog.com/games?devpub=sie...&search=sierra

    If you don't care too much about legality, just downloading the games from abandonware sites and running them in DOSbox will get you your Sierra fix.

    On a related sidenote, there is a brand new Larry game, and it's really good.

    https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...eams_Dont_Dry/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by 1973 View Post
      where can you find these games these days and will they run ok on modern pc's
      Google. Grab a copy of DosBox. Find the game somewhere like GoG or if you actually still own a copy like me, whereever you can get it. Find the Gravis Ultrasound utilities somewhere. Enable GUS emulation in DosBox and Robert's your mother's brother. Play your old games with an awesome musical score.

      Then you can pump the whole thing into OBS... e.g. Ultima IV last night, VGA upgrade, GUS music, good times... https://www.twitch.tv/videos/389618402
      Live on Twitch, when I can at random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

      Comment


      • #4
        https://www.scummvm.org/
        If you get the hankering to play Lucasarts games.

        I've been watching Jimplaysgames on YouTube in the last week which has got my Juices flowing to play Quest for Glory again.
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYr...ebvJJv6K3gseVw

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
          https://www.scummvm.org/
          If you get the hankering to play Lucasarts games.

          I've been watching Jimplaysgames on YouTube in the last week which has got my Juices flowing to play Quest for Glory again.
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYr...ebvJJv6K3gseVw
          I didn't realise ScummVM did SCI stuff too. (and holy crap... look at all that: https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?t...tegory:Engines - Oh, not all of them are supported *phew* )

          Once I get through with the Ultimas again I might have to have a crack through some of the old Lucasarts stuff and perhaps some of the old Sierra stuff too - though generally I disliked how breakingly linear they were. If you got stuck, you were stuck forever, unlike the webbed mess of plots and side quests in the (earlier) Ultimas.
          Live on Twitch, when I can at random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah Sierra are notoriously bad on how unforgiving they are compared to Lucasarts, miss one thing are you're stuffed!. I guess we had a lot more patience back in the day.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
              Yeah Sierra are notoriously bad on how unforgiving they are compared to Lucasarts, miss one thing are you're stuffed!. I guess we had a lot more patience back in the day.
              Yeah, I used to write in to the Canberra Times to their Monday hints section, cut them all out, put them in scrap books, catalogued them with a database... dBase? Even went to the NLA to go through the microfiche and find all the old columns, print out copies and catalog those too... Came in handy for those games in particular.
              Live on Twitch, when I can at random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ajfclark View Post
                Yeah, I used to write in to the Canberra Times to their Monday hints section, cut them all out, put them in scrap books, catalogued them with a database... dBase? Even went to the NLA to go through the microfiche and find all the old columns, print out copies and catalog those too... Came in handy for those games in particular.
                Holy crap, so that was you I used to read when i lived there

                I loved the Sierra Games too, just don't know how much fun they'd be again now... hindsight with rose coloured glasses maybe...

                Comment


                • #9
                  I hated Sierra games, but once you've paid for one you really want to finish it.

                  Sierra vs Origin was the original Team A vs Team B...

                  http://extrafabulouscomics.com/comic/200/
                  Live on Twitch, when I can at random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sierra games were very clever and allot of fun, However as mentioned above, Once you missed something and you got stuck then it was hours of swearing trying to find away out to salvage the game which more often than not was impossible todo. lol
                    It was very easy to have overlooked something right at the beginning and you have no chance later on, and you only find that out after playing for a hours lol

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jason1 View Post
                      Sierra games were very clever and allot of fun, However as mentioned above, Once you missed something and you got stuck then it was hours of swearing trying to find away out to salvage the game which more often than not was impossible todo. lol
                      It was very easy to have overlooked something right at the beginning and you have no chance later on, and you only find that out after playing for a hours lol
                      Police Quest II - Don't forget to get the field kit out of the storage bin in the police station. The storage bin is 6 grey pixels in the background of the first or second room. That took hours and two letters to the paper I think. It might've been covered in the manual, which I did not have at that stage for some reason. *cough cough*
                      Live on Twitch, when I can at random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details | Movember: mobro.co/ajfclark

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by namastepat View Post
                        Well if you want to do it legally, Steam has these Sierra Classics available.

                        https://store.steampowered.com/news/23840/

                        You can also get all of the Space Quest and Police Quest games on Good Old Games, plus a bunch of other Sierra titles.

                        https://www.gog.com/games?devpub=sie...&search=sierra

                        If you don't care too much about legality, just downloading the games from abandonware sites and running them in DOSbox will get you your Sierra fix.

                        On a related sidenote, there is a brand new Larry game, and it's really good.

                        https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...eams_Dont_Dry/
                        Thank you for the links

                        pretty cheap to buy so might does do that!

                        looking at the stills via steam it's so funny that the "upgrade" of graphics was so next level HA

                        couldn't wait for the next one to come out to see the improvements

                        Comment

                        Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                        Working...
                        X