No announcement yet.

Apple ][ appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just bit the bullet and grabbed a Apple II VGA scaler from a2heaven. Finally they have some in stock today. Better be worth it. No more monitor issues and colour in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcade King View Post
      I've tested the UltraWarp over the weekend, took me a few hours to work out the issues between it and the Microdrive Turbo.
      It kept crashing on the No Slot Clock but turns out it was a ZipChip system driver that's included on prodos hard drive image for the MicroDrive. Deleted it now everything is fine.

I's a great piece of kit however you really need a way to dial down the clock for every day use. Apparently the dev is working on that for an add on so until then I wont be using it.
      The No Slot Clock works well. For the NTSC International motherboard I had to cut off the left battery tab and solder a jumper to make it fit.
      What practical applications are there for accelerators on the A2?

Also, how's the sound card? Debating nabbing one for one of my systems, just not sure which one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by darkjedi View Post
        What practical applications are there for accelerators on the A2?

Also, how's the sound card? Debating nabbing one for one of my systems, just not sure which one yet.
        Number crunching mainly. I wanted it to speed up Basic programs, do some compiling and pimp the old girl.

I already have a Mockingboard on my IIe and lets face it there's not a lot of games that use it however its still a cool addition and the Phazor kit was cheap enough so I grabbed it, in fact it was cheaper than the Mockingboard. What can be better than 1 Mockingboard?...2!
        Looking forward to using it when Nox Archaist gets released.

Comment

Been awhile since any Apple II appreciation has happened
          Twitch feed on some Nox Archaist game play posted a few days ago.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/538675938

Comment

Howdy Apple gurus. I have a few Apples that I am repairing. My question is, without a working disk drive and no rs232 (Apple II+) what would be the easiest way to load diagnostic test disks?

Cheers!
            Attached Files

Comment

If you don't have a super serial card and disk drive you'll have to get a floppy emulator like Floppy Emu or similar.

Comment

Is the super serial card and disk drive required to run diag tools or just to load the diag util?

I was hoping I could convert a disk image to wav/mp3 (https://github.com/datajerk/c2t) and load in via cassette port. I have read i can bootstrap the machine using ADTPro over Audio.

I also found this while searching - http://www.willegal.net/appleii/appleii-kb-int.htm - worse case I can load in data via the Keyboard port on m/b.

Comment

I've never tried to do it through the tape port. Let us know how you go.
                  Last edited by Arcade King; 15th February 2020, 07:45 AM.

Comment

If you don't have a super serial card and disk drive you'll have to get a floppy emulator like Floppy Emu or similar.
                    Flopy emu is that like a dead emu?
                    live between the flip and the tilt

Comment

Originally posted by oldhank View Post

Flopy emu is that like a dead emu?

Comment

live between the flip and the tilt

Comment

Originally posted by nauseous View Post
                          Is the super serial card and disk drive required to run diag tools or just to load the diag util?

I was hoping I could convert a disk image to wav/mp3 (https://github.com/datajerk/c2t) and load in via cassette port. I have read i can bootstrap the machine using ADTPro over Audio.

I also found this while searching - http://www.willegal.net/appleii/appleii-kb-int.htm - worse case I can load in data via the Keyboard port on m/b.
                          I can absolutely recommend ADTPro for this stuff. It's a great little tool, and had no major problems getting it to run when I was fixing a couple of A][ last year.

Comment

ADTPro worked OK via Audio, system booted up with it. But I couldn't find anyway to transfer a DSK into RAM. Converting the Diagnostic Disk (*.dsk) to a mp3 and playing it over the audio jack returned an error. I only used the "LOAD" command and played it back. The machine was reading data but after a while of playback returned ERR..

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_170312.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	2112312
                            And I appear to have corrupt RAM on board in the upper 16k region somewhere. I have found a Super Serial 2 card in one of the machines, but it still looks like I might need a floppy drive attached to go further now... I can't see any other way of booting a dsk at the moment..
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20200217_171152.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	2112313

Comment

Shame you're not in Hobart, as I've got my wDrive SD Card floppy emulator for the Apple II that I currently can't use as it hates third party Disk ][ Cards

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X