X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac user RPi advice/help

Software recommended to burn/backup images:
    http://www.tweaking4all.com/software...pple-pi-baker/

Mac specific advice copied from another thread (thanks to [MENTION=16983]g5k[/MENTION] for this advice, I think these notes were specifically about software version 3.1):
    Originally posted by g5k View Post
    I've been planning on writing up a few things I've learnt along the way but wasn't sure if anyone else was using a Mac.

The other partition is EXT4 as you've noted.

First enable the viewing of hidden files in OS X following this guide. I enabled it and have left it on. You can switch it off too.
    http://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickl...s-x-mavericks/

Next you have a few options to enable EXT access;

1. Follow this guide, using FUSE http://tips.jay.cat/ext4-support-in-osx-yosemite/
    I found this worked ok, I wasn't convinced it was that reliable with permissions and file corruption. You need to be diligent in saving, closing files and waiting for both partitions to drop before removing the card.

2. Purchase this software. I used the 10 day trial and thought it was really good and seemed to give a few more options when looking in disk utility so ended up buying it. Still be careful as per point 1. http://www.paragon-software.com/home...mac/eshop.html

3. Setup Linux on your Mac (either a USB stick or create a partition), I chose Ubuntu http://ubuntu.com download uBuntu but don't follow their usb install guide, follow this.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/213396/how-...e-on-your-mac/

Linux will allow you to edit things without the permissions issues, natively read the EXT partition, easily view hidden files (including those duplicate roms you've noted with the underscores at start (I had this issue too and was deleting them from the advancemenu as someone else noted as I couldn't see them even using step 1 and 2 above. On Ubuntu when you view hidden files, you see them and delete them. They were added by OS X when you copied them or unzipped.

I still think you want to do either option 1 or 2 above as sometimes you still want to access it in OS X but you can do a couple of things with setting up Linux to run on a Mac. Either create a USB loader which allows you to boot in linux on the Mac, do your stuff, reboot back to OS X. Regardless of your pathway setting up the USB loader is the first step anyway. This is then used if you want to create a partition on your Mac dedicated to Linux. I choose to do this and don't regret it. Used disk utility, resized my drive and added new 20gb partition which I then installed Ubuntu on to. Now on reboot my Mac boots in Ubuntu, or I hold option, choose OS X (I'm on Yosemite, this may change for Capitan) and boot that way. Ubuntu is good, not unlike using OS X so don't be scared, but backup before you go forth

EXPANDING CARD PARTITIONS
    Once you have Ubuntu going you can use gParted to take the 8gb image and expand it to fill 32gb card or whatever you want. I couldn't find a way to do this on OS X tried many software options.

OSX MOST IMPORTANT - DISABLE SMART QUOTES

If you don't install Linux this will save anyone using a MAC countless hours of WTF. When you get into tweaking config files you typically use textedit. For the files that use quotes in their syntax eg. resolution "320x240" if you edit that line textedit by default changes the quote marks to smart quotes...this causes grief as it doesn't mean the same and depending what you were tweaking you can stuff things and chew the config file so it has garbled mess. Switch of this before you edit anything in text edit on OS X. It took me weeks before I realised this was happening.

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/20...-in-mavericks/

Most of my other notes are redundant with the new software build...If I think of anything more Mac specific I'll share.

Good luck and please back up (Your Mac and RPiCADE build).
    Last edited by dee2eR; 25th August 2016, 05:36 PM. Reason: more info

Apple Pi Baker

I've used Apple Pi Baker to create a backup of my ARpiCADE 3.5 image with ROMs & then successfully copy it to another microSD so that if I accidentally change an important setting or corrupt my card I have a usable backup ready to go. Works perfect on Mac OS X El Capitan

http://www.tweaking4all.com/software...pple-pi-baker/

Comment

Another great post from g5k, this is from post #1185 of the huge thread (page 119, pictures visible there):

As I'm embarking on setting up a build with the new 3.7 img thought I'd share my process for expanding the new img to fit a larger card, its come up a few times and can be a bit daunting to fumble your way through the first. Didn't realise there were as many steps until trying to document it. The earlier steps are covered in the help guide I wrote for Mac users, go to the RaspberryJamma section in sponsors.

Here goes;

Firstly only do this on a build that you have a backup image or fresh install as you will be losing some data (explained later)

1. Burn image to card (I do this on a Mac using Apple Pi-Baker)
      2. Reboot Mac into Linux (I use Ubuntu running on a USB loader, if you don't have this refer to my Mac guide)
      3. Launch gParted (included in base install of Ubuntu)
      4. Select the card (list of drives in drop down, top right of gParted) - please double check this part as things can go real bad if you are not working on the right disk

Click image for larger version. Name: selectdrive.jpg Views: 19 Size: 101.8 KB ID: 107957

5. This will now show the 2 partitions and empty space to the right
      6. Select the first partition (fat32) and then select unmount (from the Partition drop down)

Click image for larger version. Name: unmount.jpg Views: 16 Size: 111.1 KB ID: 107956

7. Then select the second partition (ext4) and then select unmount again
      8. Select the ext4 partition (right most one) and with it highlighted click the orange arrow button

Click image for larger version. Name: resizemove0.jpg Views: 17 Size: 232.5 KB ID: 107962

9. In the next dialogue you can drag the partition all the way to the right (drag and drop style)

Click image for larger version. Name: moving.jpg Views: 14 Size: 127.7 KB ID: 107958

10. Then click the resize/move button and accept the warning that appears
      (note nothing has happened yet, you are just building a queue of operations)
      11. Now select the fat32 partition (left one) and click the orange arrow button
      12. This time grab the right hand side and drag it to the right as far as it will go to fill the free space.

Click image for larger version. Name: resizemove2.jpg Views: 14 Size: 264.9 KB ID: 107959

13. Click the resize/move button and accept the warning that appears (still nothing has been changed yet)
      14. You should now have a card partition map that fills the card, click the green tick to proceed and action the changes to the disk (click apply)

Click image for larger version. Name: applyall.jpg Views: 15 Size: 148.6 KB ID: 107960

15. Once completed exit out gParted and you can reboot to Mac if doing this on Mac.

I've found that the resized partition doesn't mount on a Mac, it does mount in Linux. I have also had unreliable results on the software starting up in the RJBoard after enlarging the partition so do the next steps to fix it all, this could have been done whilst still in Linux too but find it easier on the Mac side.

16. Open Disk Utility - in my setup the SD card the fat32 partition is greyed out and cannot be mounted (remember in linux it did mount fine), I suspect it is a boot flag that is buggered that the Mac needs.
      17. The easiest solution I've found to fix this is simply select this partition (this is the one we enlarged to fill) and choose Erase, select MS-DOS (FAT) and name it BOOT, click erase.

Click image for larger version. Name: erase.jpg Views: 15 Size: 113.8 KB ID: 107961

18. Double click the ARPiCADE image you burnt at the start, it will mount the Boot partition
      19. Select all the files and copy them to the fresh BOOT partition.
      20. Once finished copying you are back to a fresh install or if you copied from a backup image, your backup.

Hope this helps and be careful with gParted it's pretty heavy duty and will mess you up if you don't respect it. I've followed this process a dozen times now it's pretty intuitive once you get familiar.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
      Working...
      X