Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JAMMA board from Raspberry PI

Collapse

RaspberryJAMMA is a Raspberry Pi to JAMMA adaptor designed and built in Australia. The project also features a sister project ARpiCADE the cab focused Linux distro for RPi2 and RPi3.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think the 8 gig Pi4 will have anything in particular over the 4 gig, or probably even the 2 gig, when it comes to retro gaming. I only briefly looked at it but it looks like the same form factor.

I still consider the Pi4 software to be experimental and recommend Pi3B+ for the best experience. I've been unseasonably busy lately so haven't had much time to look at the software further. Not sure if the 8 gig Pi4 will boot on the current ARpiCADE 4.0 release as I don't have one to try (and 4.0 is older than the 8gig hardware), it may require a firmware update or something similar to function.

At this time I don't plan to release a new hardware version for the Pi4, it works fine with existing RaspberryJAMMAs. The only real gotcha is the change to micro HDMI but a simple adaptor can fix that...

Comment

• I've been following the Pi4 a bit and it seems until the drivers that allow the graphics chip's hardware acceleration to be used are available there's not really much reason to move to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee2eR View Post
        I don't think the 8 gig Pi4 will have anything in particular over the 4 gig, or probably even the 2 gig, when it comes to retro gaming. I only briefly looked at it but it looks like the same form factor.

I still consider the Pi4 software to be experimental and recommend Pi3B+ for the best experience. I've been unseasonably busy lately so haven't had much time to look at the software further. Not sure if the 8 gig Pi4 will boot on the current ARpiCADE 4.0 release as I don't have one to try (and 4.0 is older than the 8gig hardware), it may require a firmware update or something similar to function.

At this time I don't plan to release a new hardware version for the Pi4, it works fine with existing RaspberryJAMMAs. The only real gotcha is the change to micro HDMI but a simple adaptor can fix that...
        I would gave thought that moving to a 64bit OS would be beneficial, and assuming the extra ram would help.

Might not be now, but I look forward when further developments are made with the hardware. Hopefully sooner than later

Comment

• New software for Pi4, ARpiCADE 4.1 out now!
          https://arpicade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1974

For all other Pis stick to 3.9.

Comment

• How does Naomi run on pi4?

Comment

• pretty good, although weirdly it seems better without an overclock

Comment

• Constant 60fps? If so, that's actually really interesting!

Might need to scroll up and determine what needs to be done to make the pi4 work with a raspberryjamma

Comment

• Very playable, not as good as the real hardware - I have experienced the odd stutter. It will probably improve over time as these things often do, or it could be some setting will improve it. I need to turn up my power supply a little more to see if that helps too...

To be fair I haven't spent much time actually playing games, more trying things out in MAME and updating old scripts to suit the new hardware etc. My test bench is not good ergonomically for actually playing the games... I think the longest I spent playing a game so far was Deathsmiles with a few levels played.

Comment

• Oh? Cave CV1000 games are playable too??

Maybe I can come back to arpicade

I unfortunately kept it as a spare to groovymame which I became a fan of due to power of a PC. But the pi4 is making things VERY interesting

Comment

• I don't think it'll compare favorably to your PC but for a board you can just wack in a JAMMA cab it's pretty powerful.

Some CV1000 games run better than others, not sure why, I assume they used different hardware beyond the CPU, or some games used some features of the hardware that others didn't.

What other games can you think of that didn't run or ran badly on older Pis? I'm struggling to think of things to test without dumping in a romset and spending an eternity going through it all.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                      Working...
                      X