Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Netherworld Monthly Arcade Club

Hey mates

Just a note to say we are in the process of putting together a format for a monthly arcade club. I am 100% open to suggestions on how to run this though my bar manager Tyson is super keen to run point on this. Below I will list a rough outline of how a meet will look.

The club will meet on the the third Saturday of every month from 11am to 2pm starting on the 20th of May. Again open to different day and time if people have a preference. Really hoping to build a great base of players over the remainder of the year and maybe find a couple more world beaters in our midst.

Format example:

10am - 5 minute brief on the history of a game, i.e Frogger

10:05am - 10 minute master class by John73 :)

10:15 unitl 2pm - A series of speed run and high score challenges across 4-6 games from all eras. Results will be rated and prizes awarded to the top 3

The feature game will be live streamed to Twitch for the entire day so people can post world record scores. Yeah!!!

Will update this thread if I come up with any more ideas. Look forward to seeing what you guys think.

Cheers,Jimmy

Edited by Jimmy Nails

Sounds great.

Not exactly sure I'm qualified to be running a masterclass - but as we are absent of Barra, I'll do what I can. Perhaps if the feature game you want to talk about is known well in advance, I can either tell you if I feel qualified or see if we can tee up someone else. e.g. If it was Defender or any modern game, then I am not your man.

The older games I do know a bit about, but really am not that good compared to the other guys in the MGL. Not sure how often @Mameshane could make it, but he can pretty much school me in most games and might be a better person to give tips on certain games.

Sounds great.

Not exactly sure I'm qualified to be running a masterclass - but as we are absent of Barra, I'll do what I can. Perhaps if the feature game you want to talk about is known well in advance, I can either tell you if I feel qualified or see if we can tee up someone else. e.g. If it was Defender or any modern game, then I am not your man.

The older games I do know a bit about, but really am not that good compared to the other guys in the MGL. Not sure how often @Mameshane could make it, but he can pretty much school me in most games and might be a better person to give tips on certain games.

Maybe we can get barra to skype in and do some classes :D

Im going to try and make it as much as i can. sounds like a lot of fun

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Maybe we can get barra to skype in and do some classes :D

If enough people attend each month, just make everyone chuck an extra $5 in for the competition and we'll fly Barra in and out once a month :D

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking more about this.

It could nearly be run using all machines and with the standard 100 down to 1 points system currently used in the MGLs. It would be interesting to run it like this, and because of the limited time (3 hours) - it would mean that all players would need to put scores up on all machines to win which in turn means someone like Shane or Kibbey wouldn't sit on DK for an hour or two because it would mean they wouldn't get scores in for all games.

So for example, if they attended along with myself, I'm no chance of beating them, I'd be looking at putting up a score that I think would secure me 3rd place and 98 points and then moving on.

There could be all sorts of tactics going on between people as the tournament goes on and people are lining up for a shot at a particular game to improve before time runs out.

Only issue with running from 11-2pm is the general public in for 2 hours who might want to jump on a machine. Bit hard to say no you can't play :)

@Jimmi Nails - I'll talk more to you about it next time I'm in if you're interested.

Was thinking more about this.

It could nearly be run using all machines and with the standard 100 down to 1 points system currently used in the MGLs. It would be interesting to run it like this, and because of the limited time (3 hours) - it would mean that all players would need to put scores up on all machines to win which in turn means someone like Shane or Kibbey wouldn't sit on DK for an hour or two because it would mean they wouldn't get scores in for all games.

So for example, if they attended along with myself, I'm no chance of beating them, I'd be looking at putting up a score that I think would secure me 3rd place and 98 points and then moving on.

There could be all sorts of tactics going on between people as the tournament goes on and people are lining up for a shot at a particular game to improve before time runs out.

Only issue with running from 11-2pm is the general public in for 2 hours who might want to jump on a machine. Bit hard to say no you can't play :)

@Jimmi Nails - I'll talk more to you about it next time I'm in if you're interested.

I wss thinking maybe best score within a time frame. 20mins or something per game or less depends how many players etc

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Multitude of ways it could run, I guess try something and then build on it. It's not like arcade comps are run all the time like Pinball.

You then also need to make sure there aren't games that have point pressing glitches built into them, and if they do then someone needs to watch people aren't exploiting it.

It's going to be fun either way, and I'm sure it will get bigger and better each month it is run. Hopefully some of the pinheads come along and get into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mates

Just a bump to say that planning for this event is coming along swimmingly. The 6 games used for competition won't be revealed until the day of competition except for our feature game. Our first feature game is going to be Donkey Kong.

Please make note also that the starting time is now 10am.

Cheers!!!!!

Ill be there for sure

Looking forward to this

Beer arcades and pinball

Nothing better [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Looking forward to pwning you on some arcade games instead of the pinball that you usually play. So gracious of you to ofter to buy beers for everyone that beats you on an arcade game also :030:

• 3 weeks later...

:bump:

6 more sleeps until the first montly arcade comp.

Hope the Brisbane arcade guys get along and play some games - I'm looking at you @Brad & @Foot.

Hopefully some of the pinball players from Brisbane swallow their pride and come along to an arcade event also - I've swallowed my pride and been pants more than once at pinball events.

Spread the word if you are coming, or even if you aren't. Going to be some half decent players there on I'm guessing most of the games in the competition, good chance to watch, talk and learn how to play arcade games.

Thanks @Jimmi Nails - great event today.

I think there was 18 or so players, which is pretty good since Arcade doesn't have near the following of pinball - and judging by some of the comments on Netherworld's FB page, next month will be bigger - give it another 2 or 3 months and I reckon there will be 30, 40 or 50+ people attending.

For those who didn't attend, the format today was 8 games, 7 arcade games plus Q*Bert on the original Atari console. Scores were ranked the same as the Brisbane Pinball Club and the more recent MGL's - highest score 100, 2nd 99 etc. But with a maximum time limit of 15 minutes per game - not to say that this is how the 2nd comp will work, who knows. But it did introduce some tactics on a couple of games with point leeching etc. which can be a good or bad thing.

For those who aren't that much into Arcade and who have an interest in competive gaming (think IFPA you pinball nuts) - you can get world ranked and end up in the Guiness Book of World Records (Gamers Edition) on arcade it you are good enough. It's probably easier on original hardware rather than MAME because there aren't that many original PCBs floating around these days - long story short, Netherworld is getting more and more arcade games with original PCBs in there, so if you want a shot at at getting your name in the GBoWR - sign up for the next event, play some games, get some tips if you need them and come play some games :)

Thanks for that great post John and congrats on winning!!! Very well played mate

Was awesome to see and meet a few new faces at the event. I have a couple of ideas for next time. Keen to know everyone's thoughts.

• Players will be randomly drawn into groups of two and each group assigned a machine to start on
  • I'm happy with free entry and pay per play if you guys are
  • Will keep the mix of 80's, 90's and console
  • Will continue to keep secret the games to be played until the morning of the event

Looking forward to next month already. Will post later in the month with more details and announce our feature game

Final results from the weekend

1 John73 785

2 Shane 784

3 Pat 759

4 James Angliss 758

5 Kibbey 750

6 Peter 742

7 Steven R 734

8 David J 731

9 Riff Randel 730

10 Dom 729

Neil 729

Ben Nichols 729

13 Tyson 728

14 Jon 725

15 Michelle 696

16 Bea Bravo 624

17 Aaron 190

18 Hugh 84

Thanks for that great post John and congrats on winning!!! Very well played mate

Was awesome to see and meet a few new faces at the event. I have a couple of ideas for next time. Keen to know everyone's thoughts.

• Players will be randomly drawn into groups of two and each group assigned a machine to start on
  • I'm happy with free entry and pay per play if you guys are
  • Will keep the mix of 80's, 90's and console
  • Will continue to keep secret the games to be played until the morning of the event

Oh, and I should also publicly thank Tyson who I believe gave you a lot of help and support in getting the first event happening.

I'm happy with how it was run, but it's always good to throw some new ideas into the mix just to keep everyone on their toes. I do think keeping the games secret is a good idea, stops those that are keen enough to practice in advance.

Really looking forward to the next event, I think a few might be seeking a little bit of revenge :)

Edited by John73

First time I've ever placed in the top 3 in any comp in my life :) I didn't even play that well, I just averaged well over a bunch of games. I had the worst two starting lives on Donkey Kong that I've ever had and I almost rage quit in disgust. Thankfully I redeemed myself on my last man. @John73, I saw you there and was like, is that John? I don't know, as I am shit with faces, then the comp started and everyone was playing so I never came up and asked.

I like the idea of the random draw of pairs, I got paired up with a great bloke named Peter (I think it was Peter) and had a lot of fun going from machine to machine with him.

Free entry/pay to play is cool, but why not also investigate the path of the pinball comps of a set price for entry + your first beer or something like that? Might be worth looking into if if it gains more popularity. Not sure, as I am not the one running the business.

I also like the idea of one arcade game on a console. If you are ever in need of consoles/games with good arcade ports, I can very easily bring in some more unique/lesser known consoles like Colecovision/Intellivision, which both have some great arcade ports.

Suffice to say, I had a great deal of fun and hit up that Nail Stout hard, that's a bloody good drop, I highly recommend every one try it.

Point Blank for the next one! I'll show all those old 80s players a thing or two with my 90s gun-slinging skills.

:lol

I heard the name Pat called out for 3rd place, and I was thinking "is that namastepat"? :unsure

I swear to God I didn't see you there. Hopefully you make the next one, I'll be there - I'll either have my black Netherworld Armageddon shirt on, or my black Aussie Arcade shirt on. I had a cap on which I don't normally wear, maybe that threw you :D

If in doubt, ask Jimmy, and he'll point you in my direction direction :)

Go defender next time, because everyone sucks at that [emoji106]

And pat, you tripled my DK score

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Oh yeah, chuck Defender in, and now that there is an asteroids - do the double of the ridiculously hard games :D

It was a fun morning and great to get a few tips on Donkey Kong (which made no impact on the dismal score I got) The format was fine. I think it was good the games were a surprise.

I would like to see a demonstration on all the games. I had never played Qbert before and even though I watched someone play and they gave me a few tips I had no idea what was going on in regards to joystick movement etc. There were other games which I had a very vague recollection of playing back in the early 80s, so spent time and lives trying to work out what actually was going on. (This did not apply to DK or Frogger as I have always failed dismally at these). Not sure if there is a solution to this problem (maybe an opportunity to practice or play a game before the comp starts?)

Other than that it was another excuse to visit my favourite establishment, not that I need one.

Dragged Mrs Rat along for the experience as well and I think she had fun. This is great, as she never plays arcade games and she got a higher score than me on a couple of machines and she was stoked she did not come last. But she was upset when she missed out on the Twilight pin by 1.something million.

I look forward to the next one, seeing what I am good at compared to other people and playing some games I have never bothered playing or not played for a long time.

Cheers,

s

I would have gone but didn't know it was on. What's the date for the next one?

Ok just saw first post, 3rd Saturday. Will head in next time if the dates don't clash with flipswitch.

I would have gone but didn't know it was on. What's the date for the next one?

Ok just saw first post, 3rd Saturday. Will head in next time if the dates don't clash with flipswitch.

Yeah, so unless things change, it will be the 17th of June.

Not sure what games will be played or who will run the masterclass - but pretty sure @Mameshane won't be running it because someone schooled him in the last competition :D

Yes Shane, you got schooled :P

And until I lose, I will live off this win as long as I can :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mates

The Netherworld Arcade Club has its second meeting this Saturday at 10am and is open to absolutely bloody everyone! Come down where we'll kick off with a history and masterclass on the original Pac-man with Kibbey93 followed by a high score arcade comp played over 8 games spanning a variety of arcades, consoles and decades. Highly coveted arcade pins for the top placing denizens!

Games to be played announced on the morning with punters being randomly assigned into groups of two.

All ages and skill levels welcome.

Cheers!!!