Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Questions about using the universal chassis with a TV tube.

I'm planning on building a cabinet and I'm thinking I'll go with the universal chassis and a TV tube for the monitor. Before I go out an get a TV to rip apart I have some questions.

I'm planning on about a 21" monitor but is there something available for larger sizes if I decide I want a bigger one?

I understand the picture tube can't be a flatscreen or a trinitron one, is there anything else I need to know when looking for a suitable one? Are there particular brands or models better suited for use or ones to avoid if possible?

I'm planning on building a cabinet and I'm thinking I'll go with the universal chassis and a TV tube for the monitor. Before I go out an get a TV to rip apart I have some questions.

I'm planning on about a 21" monitor but is there something available for larger sizes if I decide I want a bigger one?

I understand the picture tube can't be a flatscreen or a trinitron one, is there anything else I need to know when looking for a suitable one? Are there particular brands or models better suited for use or ones to avoid if possible?

21" is a good standard option , Pretty much any brand will do the job including the very latest pure flat 21"screens ( not Sony). I would use an older type curved tube though for the more authentic look.

NOTE: this chassis option isn't available yet for larger than 21" in Pureflat

There isn't a big choice in sizes above 21" that are easily obtainable unless you want to go for 29" .

59cm 25" is a great size but very hard to find these days.

63cm 26" is a thing of past although I can a match a chassis to some of these.

Hey joey I feel a sticky thread comeing on

Hey Dave probably a good idea mate :)

Joey said to me in a recent email:

If you're looking around for any TV , just an Akai , Teac , Panasonic or any of the cheaper brands suit Arcade , Sony cant be used so stay away from them.

I picked up a Panasonic myself.

-------------------------------------

Beat me to it by a minute Joey :P

And a plus of the TV Tubes is they are A-grade tubes whereas most Arcade tubes were the B -Grade tubes ( Trust me a TV tube with Jomac's chassis shits over a conventional arcade setup)

man I should start hoarding some tubes under my house

And a plus of the TV Tubes is they are A-grade tubes whereas most Arcade tubes were the B -Grade tubes ( Trust me a TV tube with Jomac's chassis shits over a conventional arcade setup)

man I should start hoarding some tubes under my house

It's hard to explain this to most people , basically most want the easy option of buying a complete monitor , but if they could just see the TV option first they would realise how much better a little bit of work can be.

Was thinking about making some room for storage myself because so many are being wasted going to the tip when they are perfect for arcade machines.

Guest Burra749

Hi Joey

Since not all TV tubes are able to be used for this purpose, can you please give us a bit of a guide as to what makes them unsuitable.

I.E What is the cut off level for the resistance reading etc.

I dont want to be hoarding tubes that are no good. :lol

Hi Joey

Since not all TV tubes are able to be used for this purpose, can you please give us a bit of a guide as to what makes them unsuitable.

I.E What is the cut off level for the resistance reading etc.

I dont want to be hoarding tubes that are no good. :lol

There were general standards for TV manufacture , some companies like Sony , Grundig , Blaplunk had there own standards and used CRT's with non conventional Yokes ( 6 wires ) and strange gun arrangements often with unusual neck sizes.

As there are so many TV brands out there it would be almost impossible to list all non usable types.

Basically keep in mind that most TV manufacturers conformed to a standard which included all of the lower cost TV's with well known brand names , being that we can generally pick these up for free or close to it now there is nothing to lose by pulling the back and taking some measurements.

I have found as a general guide that all TV's made in Black / Gray plastic cases have been suitable , some of the very old timber case tubes have caused problems .

As for measurements , for Horizontal look between 1.8 ~ 3.4 Ohms and Vertical 5.5 ~ 56.0 ohms .

Further to this, are PC monitor tubes suitable just like TV tubes?

Dead PC monitors can be got for nothing. I suspect most faults are dead electronics.

Unfortunately No , apart from being made of glass everything else about PC monitors is different to TV Crt's .

That's interesting, I too like to know why Sony Tubes can't be used?
I must have been writing my post as you posted this :) see above information

Unfortunately No , apart from being made of glass everything else about PC monitors is different to TV Crt's .

Aren't they just RGB but with different scan rates? What makes them different?

I thought they are raster scan like TV, etc. If it's a long explanation, any pointers to a guide or what to Google for?

I was just talking about using the tube and yoke, not the chassis. Is that where we're confused?

On Jomacs web site there is a guide. Bottom of this link http://www.jomac.net.au/parts.htm

"Quote"

Set Your Multimeter to Low Ohms ( 200 )

Measure between Red & Blue and then between Green and Yellow

Thanks

I was not asking for me in particular but rather for those following this discussion. I think Joey should get a stickied section for all this detail to go in...

Guest Burra749
I feel a bit silly having bought a tv off ebay when everyone seems to be able to find them for free ;)

My local dump recycles.(Brissie southside)

I buy them there all the time.

Normally I get 3 TVs for $5.:D

I am having zero luck finding a 59-63cm tube to fit my LAI Cabinet.

59cm are hard to find. I found a Daewoo one at Cashconvertors in the end. I also have my eye on 59cm Mitsubishi at my GF's work, which is going in her cab.

I even advertised in the paper, and had about 20 or so calls all for the wrong size though:rolleyes

Keep looking

Ring a tv repair shop (always a good source. They have a lot of old tv's left there due to the cost of repair being more then a new one) or try a Retrovision or someone that takes the old stuff for you.

Ring a tv repair shop (always a good source. They have a lot of old tv's left there due to the cost of repair being more then a new one) or try a Retrovision or someone that takes the old stuff for you.

Yeah am mate of mine works in a TV repair shop, the biggest in my area. He is getting me a couple of 48cm tubes for some lowboys I am repairing, but they don't have anything between 48 and 68cm. I have emailed the other big repairer in my area, just waiting to hear back.

freecycle

is a place to try. once had a 88cm crt tele on there and as the name suggests free. missed out by 5 mins

someone just listed a 54cm in my area and they will deliver

hmm tempting to store for the future