Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manufacturing opportunity at Highway Games - need your feedback!

Collapse

Highway Entertainment is a premier distributor for amusement machines and arcade parts from reknowned manufacturers such as Sega, Namco, Konami, Taito and Capcom. We offer our customers the latest in arcade gaming technology, as well as retro machines such as video arcade game machines, pinball machines, arcade cabinets, accessories and replacement parts. With over 26 years experience in the industry and serving over 42,000 customers, our clients are guaranteed exceptional quality, customer service and reliability every time.

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by oldbyte View Post
    The last thing we bought from Highway (made in China of course) we demanded a refund . It was badly manufactured. . First unit was faulty on delivery, second (replacement) unit caught fire . It all about saving a $. But that's just our experience. Beware!!!!!!!!!!
    I think you need to be honest with everyone. The machine you are referring is our premium video cabinet with full safety approvals/test reports and sold to commercial retailers. Its definitely not the stock China machines found in the marketplace.

    We believed you did not connect the IO board (to play your Taito X2 board) correctly to the Jamma harness the first time, which burned out the IO board. You called our office and said the machine does not work and that the IO board is not working. So our office tested another IO board from our showroom machine and sent to you. You then plugged the 2nd unit in incorrectly causing the IO board to be destroyed together with the wiring harness. You called our office and said the product was rubbish. As we told you, we believed you incorrectly plugged in the components causing the issues. In any case, we refunded you machine, paid for the machine to be returned back to us, paid for the parts to be replaced, turned the machine on - working fine. We even paid a freelance technician to also inspect the machine in case we had missed anything.
    Highway Entertainment
    44-48 Maitland Road, Mayfield East, NSW, 2304, Australia
    Phone 02 4968 9313 Fax 02 4968 9314
    www.highway.net.au

    Comment


      #17
      If you really want to take it further, I have all the pics to prove that the I/O board you are referring to is badly manufactured. I can post all the correspondence if you wish but we both know the goods were faulty. You also forgot to mention that we are still out of pocket $250. So please don't talk about honesty.

      Comment


        #18
        same, *most* people would not pay anyway near $900 for this, I realise this is a custom production run but panels are crazy cheap now when you look at how far TV's have dropped. Even $500 would be stretching it for a 29" 4:3 add shipping on top, I don't see this going anywhere at these costs.

        Comment


          #19
          I can see the need for the monitor and fully understand the cost in producing 15 -80 hz 4:3 panels. Shit i was paying $250 Aus each for 15" 4:3 a few years ago and that was when the dollar was strong.
          I think the market for this might be commercial within the larger operators but with the decline in video takings might be a big ask.
          It is all going to come down to your min order qnty..

          Comment


            #20
            I am well aware of what the OP is trying to achieve with this product. I also have looked at this possibility, even traveling to Taiwan to meet with panel makers.

            You simply cannot compare a current TV that sells for $299~499 with a custom made panel that you might have (say) 1000 pcs made.

            TVs are made by the tens of thousands in a single run - sometimes even hundreds of thousands.

            It's impossible to describe the steps needed to have a short production run like this made but I will just say that I gave up!

            If it could be done for $800 each I would say that is an absolute bargain but I fear that price will not be achievable.

            Over the past couple of years I have really come to realise just what "volume" means in China - I have actually ordered 10K of one part and thrown away 2/3 of the goods when they arrived as I know they would NEVER be used and it would be pointless to store them for 10 years and then throw them away. The manufacturer simply could not grasp why I only wanted 3000 of them.

            Most in Australia simply cannot comprehend the true meaning of volume and mass production, me included until recently!

            I hope the OP can get this project off the ground as I would be a customer in limited numbers (commercially of course).

            Comment


              #21
              As Homepin said, And I Agree.

              The $800~$900 is a fair & good price for a 4:3 29" LCD due to limited availability and limited quantity.

              These are NOT replacing "Wide screens" so the comparison to existing TV's is a moot point.

              And the bottom line is if your CRT is gone and don't have access to any replacements - Your options are limited.
              For home users or operators alike - It does give the option of keeping a cab running.

              Most in Australia simply cannot comprehend the true meaning of volume and mass production, me included until recently!
              Most Australians simply cannot comprehend nowadays.

              Comment


                #22
                it's not at all a moot point if you consider the buyer's perspective. Most buyers see 2 things: the PRODUCT, and the PRICE. The manufacturing process, volume production runs, these things have meaning for the manufacturer only, not the customer. How the manufacturing volume affects the price to the end user ? The customer could care less, they want a product at a price that is doable.

                Comparison to ANY other panel is inevitable, TV or not. The individual end-user sees the price of a 46" panel being under $500 these days. Whether or not they are produced in lots of 500 or 500,000 at a time ? That's the moot point to an end user. So then they look at a 29" panel costing $900 ? It's just not going to fly at that price except for those wealthy enough to throw what amounts to the price for a whole 2nd hand cab at a monitor ! Cool as a 29" would be.

                I fully understand the reason for the cost. I'm not just talking out of my arse, I had my own business selling (all manner of ) technology online (directly to end users, and mostly individuals) for 7 years, 2003-2010. That gave me a very dry opinion of end users of technology in the internet age. (and also bulk wholesalers, but that's another story..)

                but back to the OP. He asked is there interest and what price would be acceptable ? a number of people said around $500 they would find acceptable, something I agree with, there's interest at that price. Doesn't seem there would be any interest for the individual at $800-$900 though. Even if that's considered a 'bargain'due to the costs involved in a mass production run.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Jed View Post
                  it's not at all a moot point if you consider the buyer's perspective. Most buyers see 2 things: the PRODUCT, and the PRICE. The manufacturing process, volume production runs, these things have meaning for the manufacturer only, not the customer. How the manufacturing volume affects the price to the end user ? The customer could care less, they want a product at a price that is doable.

                  Comparison to ANY other panel is inevitable, TV or not. The individual end-user sees the price of a 46" panel being under $500 these days. Whether or not they are produced in lots of 500 or 500,000 at a time ? That's the moot point to an end user. So then they look at a 29" panel costing $900 ? It's just not going to fly at that price except for those wealthy enough to throw what amounts to the price for a whole 2nd hand cab at a monitor ! Cool as a 29" would be.

                  I fully understand the reason for the cost. I'm not just talking out of my arse, I had my own business selling (all manner of ) technology online (directly to end users, and mostly individuals) for 7 years, 2003-2010. That gave me a very dry opinion of end users of technology in the internet age. (and also bulk wholesalers, but that's another story..)

                  but back to the OP. He asked is there interest and what price would be acceptable ? a number of people said around $500 they would find acceptable, something I agree with, there's interest at that price. Doesn't seem there would be any interest for the individual at $800-$900 though. Even if that's considered a 'bargain'due to the costs involved in a mass production run.
                  It makes zero difference if the customer appreciates how the pricing is arrived at, or not. Simple fact is that volumes bring down the price. Anyone with a brain can understand that.

                  .....and it's "couldn't care less" - as in could NOT care less.

                  "Could care less" means that it is possible for them to care even less than they currently do. Why Americans find this simple English term difficult to grasp is beyond me?

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Homepin View Post
                    It makes zero difference if the customer appreciates how the pricing is arrived at, or not. Simple fact is that volumes bring down the price. Anyone with a brain can understand that.

                    .....and it's "couldn't care less" - as in could NOT care less.

                    "Could care less" means that it is possible for them to care even less than they currently do. Why Americans find this simple English term difficult to grasp is beyond me?
                    Sorry for making this completely , but Mike this is also a pet peeve of mine, but when I was instructed that Americans say it that way, I looked it up and found that they say it metaphorically, as if to say "Like I could care less" but because English is a lazy language, the 'like' got dropped. When they (Americans) say it, they mean it sarcastically. When Brits and Aussies say it, we mean it literally as you mentioned.

                    Now, back on track...
                    - The universe is made up of protons, electrons, neutrons and morons.

                    - I'm not superstitious... just a little stitious

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Just like "anyways" and get off of......that is somewhat annoying.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Lag and viewing angles would be a huge concern as well. IPS or VA panel and 1 frame max lag would be a must.

                        Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

                        Comment


                          #27
                          People have talked about screen burn in with mobile phones that have OLED screens (Samsung galaxy users)

                          However i would be able to tolerate any issues like this for a better visual gaming experience over LCD (that is just me personally)

                          If it was for a 4:3 OLED screen, i would prefer that option and be prepared to pay around $750

                          Right now would be great, however 2 years from now seems more probable

                          If it was an LCD i would be prepared to pay up to $500

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by garryi View Post
                            People have talked about screen burn in with mobile phones that have OLED screens (Samsung galaxy users)

                            However i would be able to tolerate any issues like this for a better visual gaming experience over LCD (that is just me personally)

                            If it was for a 4:3 OLED screen, i would prefer that option and be prepared to pay around $750

                            Right now would be great, however 2 years from now seems more probable

                            If it was an LCD i would be prepared to pay up to $500
                            Welcome to AA

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Thank you everyone for your feedback. The biggest problem right now is volume. Originally when we were looking at the project a few years ago the LCD factories needed 50000units to make the project worthwhile. Currently we have negotiated down to 10000units but we wont know if were going ahead as the uptake in Australia has been very small. We are exhibiting at the IAAPA show in November and depending on the feedback we receive there, we will decide if we can go ahead with the project.
                              Find us on facebook: www.facebook.com/Highway.Entertainment
                              Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/highwayarcade
                              View our videos on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/highwayarcade/videos

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Thamiel View Post
                                Lag and viewing angles would be a huge concern as well. IPS or VA panel and 1 frame max lag would be a must.
                                The lag is sometimes tolerable, but not ideal. To my mind the viewing angles in an excellent point though. With a four player cab, a TN panel might mean the guys on the end aren't going to see much. Let along a kid in one of those spots.

                                Comment

                                Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X