Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manufacturing opportunity at Highway Games - need your feedback!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manufacturing opportunity at Highway Games - need your feedback!

Hey Everyone,

Highway Games has an opportunity to manufacture a 29inch 4:3 screen LCD monitor for plug and play with existing machines. The costs will be high due to limited production run, generally quantities of 100,000 are needed but we have located a manufacturer willing to make smaller production runs for us.

We would like to check with our customers whether there is any interest and what price is acceptable, please let us know your feedback below.
    Find us on facebook: www.facebook.com/Highway.Entertainment
    Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/highwayarcade
    View our videos on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/highwayarcade/videos

Think its a great idea! CRTs wont last for ever, and the widescreen monitors look terrible in an old cabint designed for a 4:3 monitor.
    Not sure what people will pay though?

Comment

Would it be multisync 15k-31k? I would say that the right people would pay up to $500 for one. A Joey chassis costs $270 posted, which can still be paired with a free CRT tube harvested from a 29 inch TV. We won't be able to do that for too much longer, but I expect that most enthusiasts would not want to pay too much more for an LCD screen. $500 is a workable price point, but I imagine there is a good chance they can't be made for that price, in small numbers.

I will be watching this thread with interest. I would not be 100% adverse to putting a 29 inch 4:3 LCD in a candy cab, if the need arose. It would all be dependent on cost and the quality of the screen.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback. Highway Games is in negotiations with the manufacturer now, it will be over $590usd but they are not sure yet depending on economies of scale. It maybe has high as $800usd. Once they go into production they will be shipping out of Taiwan or Hong Kong.

- - - Updated - - -

Its multi-sync plug and play, with RGB+VGA+HDMI inputs.
        Find us on facebook: www.facebook.com/Highway.Entertainment
        Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/highwayarcade
        View our videos on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/highwayarcade/videos

Comment

800 would put it out of a price range I would pay, but there may be people who would pay that. If you can keep it as close to 500 as possible, you'd likely be opening it to a much larger market. RGB+VGA+HDMI multi-sync sounds awesome though.

Comment

I would tend to agree with the price suggested. $500 would be my total upper end. I have need of suitable replacement screens for a couple of cabinet's. But at $500 (Aust) a couple quickly adds up and it's then cheaper to source a different cabinet. Just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Highway Entertainment View Post
              Hey Everyone,

Highway Games has an opportunity to manufacture a 29inch 4:3 screen LCD monitor for plug and play with existing machines. The costs will be high due to limited production run, generally quantities of 100,000 are needed but we have located a manufacturer willing to make smaller production runs for us.

We would like to check with our customers whether there is any interest and what price is acceptable, please let us know your feedback below.
              Multisync means nothing if it can't do native resolution at 56hz - I would be checking that before committing to any production runs.

Comment

how close can this look to a CRT with artificial scanlines etc
                sigpic

Comment

I cannot see these selling for any less than $900 which i would say there is no market in the private market for them.
                  You also need to keep in mind it is fine to produce the monitor but you then also have the coast of retro fitting whatever you are sticking them in. Not the actual fitting of the display but the user will also have to make kits or adjustments to the factory bezels that the crt used and if the machine is out on site you will also have to add glass into the picture.

I think it will get to the point where you are better of scrapping the machine.
                  The people that really want 4:3 monitors are usually the die hard enthusiast and normally wont go near an lcd no matter what it does. Then you have the people that could not care less if they use an lcd but because lcd does not really bother them they are normally happy to buy a $179 PC Panel, converter and a piece of glass and be done with it.

I don't think the min order qnty will be worth it.
                  Retail customers are also going to want 2 years warranty etc. I think you will have issues there also. Commercial customers wont care so much but joe public will cry blue murder once it develops a single dead pixel after 18 months

Comment

The last thing we bought from Highway (made in China of course) we demanded a refund . It was badly manufactured. . First unit was faulty on delivery, second (replacement) unit caught fire . It all about saving a $. But that's just our experience. Beware!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oldbyte View Post
                      The last thing we bought from Highway (made in China of course) we demanded a refund . It was badly manufactured. . First unit was faulty on delivery, second (replacement) unit caught fire . It all about saving a $. But that's just our experience. Beware!!!!!!!!!!
                      Please tell me a product that ISN'T made in China? I tire of people "blanket" calling ALL Chinese products crap.

Comment

What about Kiwi fruit???

Oh wait, that's Chinese Gooseberry isn't it.

Comment

I had IMO poor customer service from them when I made a small purchase awhile ago, but I do like that they import some arcade stuff that would otherwise be unavailable here and I would not rule out purchasing from them again.

As far as a 29" 4:3 LCD goes......I'm not interested in one really and I think they will struggle to sell in volume for anything over $500 and that would have to include the new bezel to fit it into the relevant cabs. The CRTs in mine are still going strong and I have a couple of 29" TVs for donor tubes that I will purchase Jomac chassis for one day as back ups. So I hope to not be in the market for LCD any time soon, fingers crossed.

But if I heard of 29" 4:3 OLED then I would be interested as they have blacks that are even better than CRT and if they were made curved like a CRT to fit these cabs I think they would look awesome

Astros with good monitors can still be purchased for between $700 - $900 so I can't see people rushing to buy an LCD for the same price.

I would be glad to see these made though even if I'm not going to pre-order one, the more options out there to keep these old games going the better.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Homepin View Post
                          Please tell me a product that ISN'T made in China? I tire of people "blanket" calling ALL Chinese products crap.
                          Actually Oldbyte said that the Chinese made products he bought from Highway were crap, he didn't say all Chinese products were crap just being pedantic, but I know you like that
                          Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

i used to buy IR touch panels from china and to get them at the right price you need to buy 20-30 , maybe 2 or 3 stuff up after
                            a month or so , it is what it is but you pay monkeys for them so i can't complain

900 for a 4:3 lcd is ludicrous in this day and age, operators will never pay that - maybe 500 AU dollars landed

Comment

I love China... they build all the shite i like and for **** all..
                              Taiwan is the Lexus of China

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X