Pinball Expo 2014 - My thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by defender1980 View Post
    Thanks for the great effort put into the event. I know myself that if I knew that I could help in some way, I would do it, and speaking to the very excited pinheads that were there, like myself, I think you would be amazed at the amount of people that would step forward to help, and keep this wonderful event alive. My name is Warwick from Blacktown in Sydney, the Krispy Kream donut guy. I assume that most of the AA names on here, were people that I spoke to at the expo?, but can't indentify. Anyway, no matter what it takes, we as a pinball community, we need to get together and help make it happen again with money, braun, tech support, whatever. We can't expect events like this with pinball tounaments without a little bit of help from all of us. Australia is just too small. Count me in for next year.

Yep, the offer was great, but I reckon it would have killed me had I eaten one on an empty stomach
    Remember--The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Comment

Originally posted by defender1980 View Post
      Thanks for the great effort put into the event. I know myself that if I knew that I could help in some way, I would do it, and speaking to the very excited pinheads that were there, like myself, I think you would be amazed at the amount of people that would step forward to help, and keep this wonderful event alive. My name is Warwick from Blacktown in Sydney, the Krispy Kream donut guy. I assume that most of the AA names on here, were people that I spoke to at the expo?, but can't indentify. Anyway, no matter what it takes, we as a pinball community, we need to get together and help make it happen again with money, braun, tech support, whatever. We can't expect events like this with pinball tounaments without a little bit of help from all of us. Australia is just too small. Count me in for next year.
      Those dognuts were perfect timing Warwick .... just as I was a bit sleepy, 2 of those gave me the sugar rush to go on thru pack up into the night after a long long week.

As far as putting hands up for next year, you lost my number didn't you Leigh
      The Artist Formally Known As #1

Comment

Pinball Expo 2014 - My thoughts

Originally posted by Dedrok View Post
        Those dognuts were perfect timing Warwick .... just as I was a bit sleepy, 2 of those gave me the sugar rush to go on thru pack up into the night after a long long week.

"Dog nuts" will do that dam spell check lol
        Last edited by GORGAR 1; 24th November 2014, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Pretty sure I've been blocked forever. Let me know in January if you need a working bee at the dedshed 2 - I'll drag Dan up there and we can help get some more things off your list.
          The Barn - 2020 - 7th and 8th of August
          SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

Comment

Some really good feedback in this thread.

Originally there were going to be title cards on each machine with just the name of the machine, who it was designed by, manufacturer, year of production, and production run numbers. This fell by the way side when it became obvious that we didn't have the time to get it sorted. I'm glad I didn't too, cause we cut the time so fine on our setup that we wouldn't have had the time to put the titles on top of the machines anyway.

It would have been really helpful with Michael's machines because there were a bunch there that had production runs under 100 machines total. Even with Dan's and my solid states it would illustrate exactly how rare some of that stuff is.

- Defender had a production run of 369.
            - Eclipse 193
            - Algar 349
            - Hercules due to its size there are only a handful left world wide, most operators smashed them to bits
            - Asteroid Annie 211
            - Even something like Q*bert's Quest - 884 units.

I like the idea of an area for 'all access' pass holders, and certificates in the comp for high scores makes sense, but it'd be hard to get those done during the event. Its unlikely that we'd ever run more than one comp though. Two of the vendors (Luke and AMD) were running their own comps, and these added to the event I thought. The issue with adding more complications is that it requires more people to run. Initially the event was going to have a dinner and seminars, but we cut these in March/April when it became clear that we wouldn't have the manpower to run them.

One of the big issues that I didn't address was the venue hours. The original hours for the event were 10am - 6pm, I think in any future event we'd probably look at moving hours to that. I'd also chop an hour off the lock-in. By 4am on the Friday there were maybe 30 people left in the venue. There were probably closer to 50 on the Saturday. It'd be a better idea to shut up at 3am I think at least on the Friday. Just give everyone a chance to sleep for more than 2hrs (which was about what we were getting).
            SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

Comment

Originally posted by GORGAR 1 View Post
              "Dog nuts" will do that dam spell check lol
              not a misspell , I actually call them Dog Nuts.

Comment

not a misspell , I actually call them Dog Nuts.
                Mmmmm dog nuts. Just doesn't have the same ring.
                PINBALL gotta love it

"There's no such thing as too much bling" Scott

Comment

Dans Fair Dinkum dognuts stall for next syd expo!

Comment

Pretty much the only reason I am playing pinball again is the people on AA....Will look forward to another expo and or comp next year.... fwiw when I was coming down the freeway I saw a banner for something else and thought wouldnt it be great to see one for Expo... sure enough there was one at the next bridge. Great work that was. I also was talking to people that had no idea it was on and only came cos they saw the banners..

Comment

Originally posted by sleazius View Post

Originally there were going to be title cards on each machine with just the name of the machine, who it was designed by, manufacturer, year of production, and production run numbers. This fell by the way side when it became obvious that we didn't have the time to get it sorted. I'm glad I didn't too, cause we cut the time so fine on our setup that we wouldn't have had the time to put the titles on top of the machines anyway.

It would have been really helpful with Michael's machines because there were a bunch there that had production runs under 100 machines total. Even with Dan's and my solid states it would illustrate exactly how rare some of that stuff is.

- Eclipse 193
                      - Algar 349
                      - Hercules due to its size there are only a handful left world wide, most operators smashed them to bits
                      - Asteroid Annie 211

I like the idea of an area for 'all access' pass holders, and certificates in the comp for high scores makes sense, but it'd be hard to get those done during the event. Its unlikely that we'd ever run more than one comp though. Two of the vendors (Luke and AMD) were running their own comps, and these added to the event I thought. The issue with adding more complications is that it requires more people to run. Initially the event was going to have a dinner and seminars, but we cut these in March/April when it became clear that we wouldn't have the manpower to run them.

One of the big issues that I didn't address was the venue hours. The original hours for the event were 10am - 6pm, I think in any future event we'd probably look at moving hours to that. I'd also chop an hour off the lock-in. By 4am on the Friday there were maybe 30 people left in the venue. There were probably closer to 50 on the Saturday. It'd be a better idea to shut up at 3am I think at least on the Friday. Just give everyone a chance to sleep for more than 2hrs (which was about what we were getting).

The rarities were amazing !
                      wish I had a chance to play
                      but I played up and missed the lockin
                      for that I was crucified

Yeah some sleep would be a great idea
                      for you guys
                      the lack of sleep and high stress levels
                      only made for hard times

why do it if you cant enjoy it ?

its all about fun right ?

and your health and friends have to suffer ?
                      Pinball, Its an Addiction

Comment

Should have bought this beauty along that i found the other day

Comment

Originally posted by RGR View Post
                          Should have bought this beauty along that i found the other day

You should have, we could have set it up next to video pinball, i'm guessing the nintendo one would have been the better game
                          SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

Comment

Had one of them since the early 80's, import (gift) from Fiji if I remember correct.

Comment

Originally posted by sleazius View Post

- Eclipse 193
                              - Algar 349
                              - Asteroid Annie 211

The rare SS pins made my weekend, and of course the first game with flippers, Humpty Dumpty.
                              Things to make the next one better?
                              1.You guys need to work in shifts, ie some guys leave at midnight to come back at opening time, while the guys that suffer through to closing time can come in later the next day.
                              2.Definitely need more volunteers. I'd gladly take more time off work to help if there was a next time, hopefully other locals would too. ( in saying that if you had more machines from different people, they would also almost certainly be a volunteer( hoping Wildball would be more involved))
                              3. You need a contact that is available 24/7 for ticket sales etc.
                              4. Now remember when wonderland had $5 after 5?, I think you need something like that, ie $10'after 3 (or 4)!so punters not used to pinball can get a go for 2hrs for $10 but still have to finish at 5pm with everybody else. ( I think $30for the day is great price, but people are tight arses)
                              5.having a little bit of a4 paper? Saying the age of the machine plus any extraordinary details would of been tops.( like first machine with flippers etc..)
                              6. The comp was well run, but maybe have the top 16 from Friday (lock ins) and the top 16 from the Saturday form up the top 32 would of been good.

I'm not bagging you guys, I know it was a massive effort for virtually no return, and if you did get a return, it didn't no way pay for your efforts.
                              But if you want it to be successful, it needs to be anually, so people who miss out can look forward to it next year. ( or maybe I am just dreaming thinking pinball is back from the dead!)
                              Last edited by skids; 29th November 2014, 06:20 PM. Reason: Bloody auto correct
                              The Duke of Doonside

Comment

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Budgie

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X