Collapse

For general stuff about Arcade.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAME comp

After Listening to what people have been saying and taking my own thoughts into account I am considering starting a series of MAME competitions
    this is NOT CONNECTED TO THE MGL in any way shape or form and would be a slap happy snapshots only series.

Thing is there is no point in doing this if there is not enough interest so now is the time to speak up if you want to play

I have a plan and structure in mind but I also want to hear what you guys/girls want so please voice any ideas you might have

Comment

Originally posted by Jason_roberts13 View Post
      Can’t really relate to a lot of the games being played in mgl as they’re before my time
      That is a large part of the reason i have been thinking about doing this

Comment

I'll play, but i couldn't do anything until mid July onwards, I'm packing up the mancave getting ready for an interstate move. I'd suggest a similar nomination/random selection method for choosing games. Limiting to a certain Era of games will count some gamers out.

Would like to see default dip settings used too.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Comment

Maybe keeping it open to any version of mame might open it up to more players. I.e anyone that has a multi board could join in too.
          Rather than limiting it to certain versions of mame, dip switch settings, etc.
          Although someone could take advantage of that but shit if your gonna cheat it just takes all the fun away

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Comment

Maybe keeping it open to any version of mame might open it up to more players. I.e anyone that has a multi board could join in too.
            Although someone could take advantage of that but shit if your gonna cheat it just takes all the fun away

any version of mame sure, but dips need to be standard/same for everyone. little point in having a score-based comp if people are playing at different levels. dips can make a huge difference to a game.

i'm pretty sure multiboards like 60-1 are set to default dips anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post
              any version of mame sure, but dips need to be standard/same for everyone. little point in having a score-based comp if people are playing at different levels. dips can make a huge difference to a game.

i'm pretty sure multiboards like 60-1 are set to default dips anyways

Comment

I'd suggest a similar nomination/random selection method for choosing games. Limiting to a certain Era of games will count some gamers out.

Would like to see default dip settings used too.
                So far It will be games selected by me from open nominations with no real restruction on year however I dont want to use any newer games that need anything more than a billy basic computer to run.

It will be factory dips.

Any version of MAME or multi board will be fine (so long as the dips can be set)

- - - Updated - - -

any version of mame sure, but dips need to be standard/same for everyone. little point in having a score-based comp if people are playing at different levels.
                Agreed

Sure but I think a lot of multi boards don’t have soft dips, like pandora box? Not everyone is running mame on a pc, especially the casual gamers
                I thought the Pandoras box multi was just MAME with a front end anyway?

may have to look into that on a case by case bases

the goal is to be as inclusive as possible

Comment

Sure but I think a lot of multi boards don’t have soft dips, like pandora box? Not everyone is running mame on a pc, especially the casual gamers
                  the multiboards like 60-1 rrun at mame defaults, that's why defaults is the best choice to include everyone.

Don't agree with one person selecting the games, that leaves too much bias in what games are played. Unless you want to make a comp just for post-1985 games, then i'm out, i got no interest in those games.

Comment

.Don't agree with one person selecting the games, that leaves too much bias in what games are played. Unless you want to make a comp just for post-1985 games, then i'm out, i got no interest in those games.
                    Originally I did want to run games from just 85 to 95 but that is not what people want so it will be open
                    Ill ask for nominations in a certain theme and the games with the most nominations will be picked.
                    this will probably be done in an dedicated thread to keep it all transparent.

Comment

Originally posted by loki4101 View Post
                      Originally I did want to run games from just 85 to 95 but that is not what people want so it will be open
                      Ill ask for nominations in a certain theme and the games with the most nominations will be picked.
                      this will probably be done in an dedicated thread to keep it all transparent.
                      Yep good idea to keep it open rather than restrict to certain years.
                      I like the idea of nominations posted in a thread rather than pm in private, transparency is key

Comment

yea I'll be interested to for a casual comp

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

Good on you loki4101 for volunteering to run a casual comp

After the debate in the other thread ATM I am now thinking the following.

If the MGL were to change in the next series of comps to include Pro and Casual as suggested by Barra then there would probably be not much point holding a separate casual comp as everyone would be catered for already. Hopefully OOO will give some input about the future direction of the MGL before a casual comp is decided upon or started.

If the MGL stays as it is now with TG dips etc then I would be interested in a casual comp, I prefer the "Golden Era" of games and I am less interested in later games.

My personal opinion is that if the casual comp does happen then it should be called the MGL and OOO's comp could be the World CAG Titles or something? that's just what I think because the MGL has always been casual, if it doesn't happen then no big deal I suppose.

Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Comment

Is there some sort of confusing here? This isn't the official MGL comp run by OOO, its a casual comp for those who were screaming for it.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X