Collapse

For general stuff about Arcade.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Arcade.

Just wondering if anyone has a thread up for their favorite arcade back in the day and maybe post some photos if you have any. Mine was the arcade next to the Roxy Cinema at Parramatta. One of the best days of my life was seeing Star Wars and then spending the afternoon in the arcade.This is not that arcade but you get the idea. It may bring back some fond memories of good times had. Lets hear your stories.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-06-04 at 12.07.17 am.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1877787
    Keep the dream alive.

Mine was a little coffee shop in Sandringham that had a pool table and two pins. One pin was 10 cents the other was 20 cents, the pool table was 20 cents too!
    Great memories.

Comment

Second hand book shop in an arcade in Adamstown. He had 3 games, and if you got a high score you got store credit. Play lots of games and read lots of books.

Comment

Fairly decent sized arcade at the bottom of the entrance. Used to have fun time setup where you pay a certain amount and all games on freeplay for 2 hours. Lived about a 200m walk from it so I was there often.

Saw dragons lair for the first time here, punch out also.

2nd fave, Astro Lanes bowling alley. Used to bowl in a league and they had about 8 machines to play, but I always ended up on Double Dragon elbow smashing my way through 10 minutes or so before my game started.
        Hindsight is always in high definition!

C64anabalt: 9647m

Comment

Used to love Billy Bobs Pizza Arcade at Knox City as a kid it was located below the cinemas now its JB HIFI and of course SEGA WORLD in Sydney when that was open
          Insert coin to play

Comment

[QUOTE=knight76;833276]Fairly decent sized arcade at the bottom of the entrance. Used to have fun time setup where you pay a certain amount and all games on freeplay for 2 hours. Lived about a 200m walk from it so I was there often.

Saw dragons lair for the first time here, punch out also.

I went there on holiday and guess what that was the first time I saw dragons Lair as well it had not so much as a line but a big crowd around it looking at how great the graphics were.
            Keep the dream alive.

Comment

My Arcade era ( 1980 - 2002 )Click image for larger version

Name:	[001364].jpg
Views:	3
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1802146Click image for larger version

Name:	[001375].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1802147Click image for larger version

Name:	[000988].jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1802148Click image for larger version

Name:	1524298_10151835894287876_725994832_o.jpg
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	1802149Click image for larger version

Name:	[005728].jpg
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1802150Click image for larger version

Name:	[017984].jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1802151Click image for larger version

Name:	[018448].jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1802152
              early years were like 20c coins lined up on the cabs, waiting your turn. it really did seem like everybody was in the arcades.
              1986 -87 was the high point, a lot of venues to play Orbit 600, Space Shuttle, Westworld, the main Timezone just up from Village cinema and the second TZ next block down. Hoyts Entertainment centre gaming area, Crystal Palace above TZ, and another Orbit opposite the second TZ. yes, it was arcade heaven. very happy i can say i was there in 1980.

Comment

Stockton NSW squash courts. Where I first played Pheonix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                P.S. Don't Put Two Together They Will Breed.

Comment

Reviving an old thread because the photos came up in Google...

My first significant arcade experience was Putt Putt Golf at Taren Pt in southern Sydney. My first memories are playing Space Invaders and Galaxian there. My mates & I would ride our bicycles across the bridge, dump them outside (because they'd still be there when we came out) and play video games for hours. Can't recall how many machines they had at their peak but it was a reasonable number.

I didn't frequent many arcades for a number of years after that because my father bought a computer, but then at uni I was reacquainted. Uni had a small arcade (Pleiads, Elevator Action, Star Wars (cockpit), Juno First, Xevious, Defender and maybe a few pinballs) so when we got bored with those games a fellow addict & I would walk into George St when we didn't have classes to Timezone, Orbit 600, Westworld & Hoyts.

Didn't spend a lot of time in Hoyts but my one (fuzzy) memory is playing Tail Gunner and/or Star Hawk (Cinamatronics).

Orbit 600 was our arcade of choice. 1943, Star Force, Gyruss, Pitfall II and Spy Hunter & Centaur (II?) pinballs were our mainstays. Saw my first Dragons Lair machine there, but don't think I ever played it more than once.

At one point Orbit 600 had pinball machines outside the entrance. A mate & I were playing one lunchtime and a guy came up to us with a (rather pathetic) pocket knife, placed it on the machine, and told us to give him our money. Cold light of day on George St in the 80's! Not knowing what to do, we both ignored him and continued playing, and he eventually picked up the knife and walked away. Not sure why neither of us thought of grabbing the knife?!?

Always went into Westworld and Timezone to see what was new as well but don't recall what we actually played in those. From memory Westworld was 3 levels and I seem to recall spending most time at the back of level 1 and on level 2 possibly playing Gauntlet? In later years they had a bunch of Neo Geo machines and I played a bit of Metal Slug.

Comment

I use to go to Parramatta to see movies and always loved going to the arcades. By memory their was one a couple of doors up from westfields, one across the road as well and the one next to the roxy cinema. But my local was timezone blacktown. Also loved going to the ones on george street Sydney the lights , sound, and atmosphere. Good times

Comment

Mine definately was the arcades on george st sydney the lights, the sounds, the atmosphere.

Comment

The sad thing about arcade history from the 80's and 90's was nobody had cameras on them to take random pictures of their friends or the venue. Most pics that we've seen from above are probably just accidental or are real estate pics.

Forgot to nominate my favourite arcade was TILT at Manly Wharf
                        Last edited by Mick80; 5 August 2020, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abeswick View Post
                          Used to love Billy Bobs Pizza Arcade at Knox City as a kid it was located below the cinemas now its JB HIFI and of course SEGA WORLD in Sydney when that was open
                          We had a kids birthday party there. I still have it on VHS-C video. I do remember the creepy animal-tronic band playing happy birthday songs.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                          Working...
                          X