Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

First timer arcade machine purchase

Ugh, you all probably get these questions more often than you'd like... I swear I couldn't find the FAQ 😊

I want to get my SO an arcade cabinet - she loves Mortal Kombat, and I grew up playing Galaga, Rolling Thunder, TMNT, etc. I've found a bunch of sites that sell multi-game machines - Arcade Rewind, Highway Entertainment, Games Arcadia, Mr Pinball, and so on. Some are made locally, others clearly from a single source, probably imported. I'd prefer to buy something built by someone that knows what they're doing for the first time through, accepting that I'm probably paying more for store bought. The Arcade1up cabinets look like another option, but they seem small and cramped by comparison, so not ideal.

I honestly don't have any idea of reputation of any of these businesses, whether they sell good, better or great machines, or what I should be looking for inside in the machine - some sound like Windows machines with GPUs, others could be Raspberry Pi for all I know.

In depth reviews of the multi-game machines are hard to find, so if anyone here can point me toward useful resources or has experience with any of these, I'd really appreciate it. 😀

Classicarcadecabinets.com...And just have one printed would be the cheapest way to go (Imo) For any level of quality, and nostalgic values...Those 1ups are fun gifts for kids, but a bit dissapointing to collect.

Classicarcadecabinets.com...And just have one printed would be the cheapest way to go (Imo) For any level of quality, and nostalgic values...Those 1ups are fun gifts for kids, but a bit dissapointing to collect.

Ok, so the most viable option is to build your own? I feared that was the only viable outcome, thanks.

One word...Mame.

Go to the Mame section on here and build your own it's easy. Here is mine that I built ten years ago & it still works 100% & 1,000's of games. Since that one I've built 3 upright cabs & a copy Hankin 20" table. You can do it too! :)

3.thumb.JPG.7f8868b525db8acd72f165d56cdbdd65.JPG DSC_1555.thumb.JPG.5370a99d6cfc0f07c6b9c802528d0535.JPG CIMG0010.JPG.1819008bdf3aa6dbe7d04e968a426db6.JPG

• Like 2

One word...Mame.

Go to the Mame section on here and build your own it's easy. Here is mine that I built ten years ago & it still works 100% & 1,000's of games. Since that one I've built 3 upright cabs & a copy Hankin 20" table. You can do it too! :)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t3.JPG Views:\t0 Size:\t321.2 KB ID:\t2214697","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"2214697","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tDSC_1555.JPG Views:\t0 Size:\t200.6 KB ID:\t2214698","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"2214698","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":2214700}[/ATTACH]

They look amazing - I wish I had the time to build it from scratch… I still have guitar pedals waiting to be built as well. Best intentions and all that 😀

• Like 1

Put up a wanted add here on AA, and just watch the usual online marketss (Gumtree, Facebook)

Something close to where you live will pop up for sale.

In the last year I have managed to get 2 working LAI lowboys (one still fully arcade wired, 1 rewired with PC monitor etc) and a gutted Megalo 410 for a LCD cab i'll get too one day. This is in Adelaide, so they are out there.

If you were closer I could probably be convinced to sell you one of these :)

• Like 1

WWF on here (and ebay) does MDF kits. I'm 3/4 through finishing mine. You could just glue it together, spray paint it matt black, add a 22"LCD 16:9 TV and throw in a playstation 2/3/4. Add a bosega "zero delay" encoder and a joystick and buttons and off you go.
  • Like 1

I think the Highway stuff, like the Mercury etc are as good as you’ll get. I believe they’re commercial quality hence the price tag. I’ve played some other cabs that look good in pics but they flex and sway when you play them. There probably isn’t much info on here about them because buyers want an instant hassle free experience and aren’t on the forums. They just buy a machine with a multi game board and don’t look back.
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...