For general stuff about Arcade.

X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinden Light Gun Review

I recently sold one of these. I was honest about this with the buyer who I have traded with and talked to for a while now. I consider him a retro gaming friend, so that is all above board. He is aware that $180 is a good price so he is having a go before on selling on if needed.

Basically, it is accurate but too slow for my liking.

I tried two PCs, AMD quad with an AMD card that was GTX760 equivalent, used on a 1080p native plasma that has less than 10ms latency. The second setup was a 4770 and 1050ti combo on the same plasma and then my new 4k TV which is also sub 10 ms input latency. Both game mode.
    My hardware could be in part the issue, but buying new computers and TVs is part the problem then also.

Setup -
    It is really clunky. You'll pretty much always need a keyboard on hand. It uses a white border, which doesn’t bother me, but likely will bother others. It needs to be bright and there needs to be a clear contrast between other white squares. A two-player setup will need two instances of the software. The overlay was sketchy for me on both setups. Andy said it was a rare and I likely was unlucky. There are work arounds for all emulators though.

The good -
    Where you point is where it fires, that part is great. Moving around while you are shooting is great.

The gun-
    It is okay, nothing to write home about. Similar feel to the g-con one. Plastic feels like it is relatively high quality. Buttons are average. The pump action is a waste of time and money.
    I did not go a solenoid as I expect it to be similar to ultimarc solenoid setup which just hurt my ears.

The issue -
    I felt like I was dragging around the aim reticle. The processing time is very obvious to me. It is better than ultimarc and any other IR that I have used before. But, it is still slow.
    On the CRT with a screen that is roughly the same size as the TVs I was playing on I can finish point blank on very hard without losing a life most of the time. On the Sinden I could barely beat hard losing all my life. I noticed on quick movements my bullet was missing by a quarter of the movement. So, flick from corner to corner I would be 20% off being 20 cms. I was aiming at the target but the processing hadn't caught up. Smaller flicks might only be off a cm, but you are still missing.

This for me kills the experience. I am use to another technology that has no input lag. This just does, regardless of the hype and what the fanboys are saying. I actually hate this about the retro gaming scene, people pilling into things saying it is the best with no idea.

In saying that, I think if you had not experienced the real deal, you might be into it. I have tried many guns. I have a part of my arcade dedicated to light gun games. I have too many and that is the way I like it. Picture below, not including the boxed ones I have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210101_161958.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	2212339

People are saying gun4ir has better tracking and latency so I am building two of those. I am into electronics and thanks to Caesar I think it was, I have some namco recoil shells to install it into. Hopefully they are the real deal and I can use a newer panel. If not I think I’ll just continue to play on consoles.
    Attached Files

This is such a shame This gun was touted by everyone as being the next big thing and a way to experience true CRT accuracy and no lag. What a bummer that it's nowhere near as good as it should be. I used IR guns a while back, Aimtrack ones. I ended up just stopping because the lag was so bad it was unusable for fast tracking and shots.

It's almost like the people developing the tech really just don't understand how quick and accurate CRT light guns are. So they make claims about their guns that just don't stand up in the real world.

Comment

That is how I feel about it as well. People making claims, cashing in and moving on. JayBee for gun4ir has no money attached, so I am hoping it is the real deal. It should be as good as modern arcade IR, as it has 4 sensors around the screen rather than just the two at the top. Processing is done on the gun side, so it should be a less laggy. Fingers crossed, I will let you all know regardless.

Comment

This is disappointing. I was following this gun with interest. I love light gun games, but don't have a set up for it currently and was hoping this would get me there.

Comment

I just watched this review of it, where the dude is banging on about how amazing it is.

But to me, when he moves the gun quickly, I can definitely see lag in the aiming reticle.

Comment

He is playing on a small screen. Imagine what it feels like on a decent sized display. Feels like you have a fish on the end of your line while you are pulling around the rod. I hate fishing by the way. I like day drinking in a boat though.

Comment

Good review without any hyperbole and from the pic you’ve posted you know your stuff. I went all in on Sinden from the great reviews they were getting. Placed the order in October for two guns, recoil upgrade and two holsters. Not a cheap
              purchase at around $550 and still don’t have them yet. Hadn’t heard anything about gun4ir until very recently. Looks like I might be converting my Sindens to gun4ir setups. Interested to hear how your build goes, I started looking at parts to order yesterday to put into an old IR gun I had lying around

Comment

Thank you for the honest review.

we received our two last month but have been waiting since October for our gpu to upgrade our pc.

Hopefully with newer tech and low latency pj it might just work for us?

fingers crossed

Comment

Originally posted by mckie1 View Post
                  Thank you for the honest review.

we received our two last month but have been waiting since October for our gpu to upgrade our pc.

Hopefully with newer tech and low latency pj it might just work for us?

fingers crossed
                  Let us know how it goes. But a 4770 and a 1050ti running mame and non 3d games from the 90s, shouldn't be the problem. A large panel >50 inches running less than 10ms is the cream of the crop for input latency.

Comment

Our projector has 35ms so will likely have grief but at least it will be fun to try 🤣

Or frustrating 😱

Comment

Originally posted by mckie1 View Post
                      Our projector has 35ms so will likely have grief but at least it will be fun to try 🤣

Or frustrating 😱
                      Projectors don't work at all from the discord feedback. So much so I didn't bother trying

You need the white border to be really bright. I had to turn up brightness and contrast to make the camera register it.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.

i only saw the uk retro man cave guy using a pj but on a smaller screen so assumed would be okay.

now to find time to test or use on something else

Comment

redferatu

Nice collection

You don't have any Jolt guns you'd be willing to part with do you?

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                          Working...
                          X