Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

RasberryPi + Jamma

ozdave

Hi folks, I have a TMNT 4 player cabinet and want to add to the games I am able to play on it. I am thinking about getting a pi + Jamma to do this.

Before I dive in, keen on peoples thoughts and experiences in doing so. will it work out or am i better off investing in original PCB's ?

David

Youll save a tonne of money. Tmnt, turtles in time, simpsons.. all pricey boards. I also would imagine itd be more reliable than older original boards

if i didnt already have tmnt and turtles in time, id consider it too for my 4p cab.

I cant speak for 4 player version of this kit, but i do have an arpicade on my 2 player cab with all the konami titles and its brilliant. Should hit up dee2er user on here, top fella

Best of luck

• Like 1

Also replied to your PM. Was a bit slow to this thread.

The RaspberryJAMMA + four player adaptor should be plug and play in your TMNT cab. The software side of things will take a little bit of fiddling though to suit the lack of start buttons on that cab. I'll be happy to help if you need any if/when you go this route. For more info check out the RaspberryJAMMA bit in the sponsors section here on AA or have a look at the arpicade.com forums (the main page of the arpicade.com site is out of date...).

I'm as local as you'l find it (Melbourne), the boards are both Australian made.

Thanks to everyone for recommending me.

• Like 2

Excellent. Got a multimeter? First thing I had to do when I used the pi is ramp up the 5v on my psu. There was a big voltage drop when the pi was powered. My PSU was measuring 5.1 at the harness with no load and then with the pi running it would drop to 4.8.

This meant that the pi was undervolted and running slowly. The pi will warn you of this with a lightning bolt in the top right hand corner of the screen. I had to put the pi on and then adjust the PSU while it was under load. The pi can happily take up to 5.2v, so I set mine to 5.1 when powered and it worked fine.

Excellent. Got a multimeter? First thing I had to do when I used the pi is ramp up the 5v on my psu. There was a big voltage drop when the pi was powered. My PSU was measuring 5.1 at the harness with no load and then with the pi running it would drop to 4.8.

This meant that the pi was undervolted and running slowly. The pi will warn you of this with a lightning bolt in the top right hand corner of the screen. I had to put the pi on and then adjust the PSU while it was under load. The pi can happily take up to 5.2v, so I set mine to 5.1 when powered and it worked fine.

Yes I do so will take a look. Is it possible to power the Pi separately to help resolve this?

Where on the Pi did you check the voltage from?

You can get a separate psu to power it, but one of the good things about the pijamma is that it can be powered over the 5v on the jamma with no additional hardware.

Check the voltage at the 5V Jamma edge connector when the pi is running, that's the easiest way. I also expect that the pi itself would likely have a test point somewhere on it that you can poke with a meter.

If when you boot it, you get the lightning bolt, you'll have to up the voltage.

Yep, definite v-hold adjustment. That monitor was adjusted for the TMNT board in there. There's a good chance you will have to adjust a bunch of things on the remote board to get the image right.

Remove the flicker with the v-holt adjust then start tweaking h-pos and v-pos to get the image centred. You may also need to tweak the h-size and v-size to shrink and grow the image to the correct size. You may also need to tweak the brightness. I had to turn the brightness up when I hooked up the pi, as the image was quite dark when first booted on my cab.

I think I spent around 15-20 mins just tweaking the image until it was all good. The image used to be tweaked to suit a J-PAC output, which required far less brightness.

• 2 years later...