Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The Last Starfigher Scratch Build

ZDL02v5.gif

8VBVrTw.jpg

BnUg0Il.png

BMXP3DO.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7PwFdtuW5Y

I've been wanting to build one for a while and have a folder full of info needed to get a realistic looking replica built.

I have all the files and artwork from the Rogue Synapse site and have the game up and running on a spare PC.

http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter.php

Dz0tqx9.jpg

IxgIcDh.jpg

zh6rDBB.jpg

LIjVuzX.jpg

I don't want to start on this until all other projects and jobs for other people are done first as it's a huge undertaking so it'll be at least six months before I can begin but in the meantime I'll be planning out what's needed to get it done right.

The cabinet design is quite complex and from the research I've done a lot of panels need to be fabricated as I go as there are no complete plans available.

I have a stack of images from other peoples cab builds which will give me enough info to work from, I don't believe anyone here in Australia has built one yet.

I'd love to use a 26" or 29" CRT but I have a feeling it won't fit (front to back), the cab is 28" wide, may have to go with an 26" LCD running in 4:3.

This will be by far the most challenging cab build I'll ever undertake.

Here's some of the images from other peoples cab builds.

nKahEND.jpg

iEk3nFu.jpg

75NtanR.jpg

sAFn896.jpg

MIdnQ9H.jpg

61cWtSb.jpg

DZAtlLF.jpg

1aKLzap.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The game was pretty good but the American made craftwood cabs were absolute rubbish.

The first thing to fail were the back casters tearing out of the wood.

The machines were then dragged under the head but that made the head to lower cabinet connection fail.

@Kaizen , I would try to replicate the shape of the original cab but certainly not copy how it was built with all the individual parts.

It was all the little parts glued together and the use of shit wood that made the cab such a horrible machine that was killed off way before it had stopped earning good money.

May I suggest you build the cab as if Taito would have built it.

Taitoisation, lighter, stronger, better.;)

The game was pretty good but the American made craftwood cabs were absolute rubbish.

The first thing to fail were the back casters tearing out of the wood.

The machines were then dragged under the head but that made the head to lower cabinet connection fail.

@Kaizen , I would try to replicate the shape of the original cab but certainly not copy how it was built with all the individual parts.

It was all the little parts glued together and the use of shit wood that made the cab such a horrible machine that was killed off way before it had stopped earning good money.

Eh ? The game never went into production, it was pulled by Atari before it was even finished. Maybe you are thinking of another game.

Looks like an awesome and iconic project Kaizen! How will you handle the game-win scenario where aliens actually come to earth to recruit you ? :)

Greetings Starfighter. You have been recruited by the star league to defend the frontier against Xur an the Ko-Dan armada.

Mum bought the video from the rental place when I was a kid, probably watched it 50 times. Love it!

Greetings Starfighter. You have been recruited by the star league to defend the frontier against Xur an the Ko-Dan armada.

Mum bought the video from the rental place when I was a kid, probably watched it 50 times. Love it!

Ive got a vhs copy of it as well

Two of the builds I've seen have used MDF and Chipboard, I plan to use mostly ply for the build.

Eh ? The game never went into production, it was pulled by Atari before it was even finished.

Looks like an awesome and iconic project Kaizen! How will you handle the game-win scenario where aliens actually come to earth to recruit you ? :)

The game got to about 75% completion before Atari canned it, I read a post saying that Namco took the code and developed it into Starblade.

Ive got a vhs copy of it as well

I have the 1080p DVD rip but also had the VHS version before throwing it out in a clean up many years ago.

Edited by Kaizen

I'm looking for suggestions for a CAD program that can be used with most CNC routers so I can draw up some plans for reference and if need be, have some panels cut by CNC to save time and get a professional looking finish.

Is there a common format for the cut files or does it depend on what machine/setup each individual shop has.

I 'm pretty sure .dxf is the most widely used CAD format, is VCarve Pro (.crv) the format used for CNC cutting?

I have little experience in this area so any schooling is welcomed.

I tried to install AutoCad on my Win7 PC and it didn't like it, I think it requires Win8 minimum.

I'll give FreeCAD a go, if no luck I'll set it up on another PC with Win8.

Edited by Kaizen

Good luck with the build. This has been on my to do list for years.

I’m also a big fan of the movie and have the original VHS and DVD.

The cabinet is definitely an odd shape but would look awesome once complete

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I gotta admit the fan made game kinda sucks balls, have you tried playing it? It looks like the sequences from the movie but it’s difficult to control and I couldn’t get any further than 5min into it

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I've watched the playthrough with twin joysticks and it looks like it plays better than with a keyboard which I've been playing a few games with.

As long as the cabinet looks good, I'd be happy with how the game plays.

I've tried FreeCAD and it not as simple/intuitive as I'd like to draw up a set of cabinet plans so I'm going to give Design Spark Mechanical a try later tonight to see if that's any better for drawing up a simple set of 2D plans for the cabinet.