No announcement yet.

She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. Star Wars rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. Star Wars rebuild

hey all thought I would make a start on this thread to document my rebuild of a fairly beat up star wars cockpit.

This is the holy grail of arcade games for me. This may be my first and last attempt at an arcade game project, we'll see how it goes

Fellow star wars geeks will recognise the quote. It's very appropriate for this project as there appears to be a fair bit of work ahead to bring it up to speed.

I'm going to try and save as much of this cockpit as possible and fabricate what I have to. If possible I want to try and show a subtle division between the old and the new so I'll be looking to restore the old panels without loosing too much of their character and wear and have very clean and tidy new panels. So this is kind of a half restoration half reproduction project I guess.

Obviously I'll be looking for a replacement CP, yoke, backglass etc so please PM me if you can help!

In terms of running gear I'm looking at a mame set up. The thought of tackling a PCB set with a vector monitor is too daunting at this stage. I have ZERO experience in arcade electronics so am playing it safe for the time being.

Before myself and Benwah laid hands upon the cockpit it looked roughly like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SW_Sell_4474.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	1873716

we were able to successfully pull the cabinet apart with almost no breakage, flat pack the beast and send it home:

Name:	CAM00017.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	1873717

The cockpit will hopefully be delivered to me next week but I was able to bring a few bits and pieces home with me to muck about with.

One of the things that I wanted to try on a busted panel was using a combination of polyester resin and bog to stablise the particle board and fill out any gaps. I basically built a mould wall around the broken area, brushed in some over-catalysed resin to start soaking into the particle board then followed that up with the remaining resin mixed with builders bog. I've used this technique before on other stuff and the result is a stronger bog that is harder and not so brittle. It also means if you leave it liquid enough you can pour it into a cavity and it tends to grip a bit better.

Apologies if this is all old news to everyone. Here's the results so far:

Name:	CAM00032.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1873718
    mould walls

Name:	CAM00033.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1873719
    resin and bog poured in

Name:	IMG_1319.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1873720
    sanded back

Name:	IMG_1321.jpg
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1873721
    the resin and bog makes it easy to get a hard edge with no risk of chipping

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	1873722
    old vinyl, sanded particle board, particle board with resin soaked in, resin and bog mix

I'm going to be treating each panel as a separate project so this will be one of those massively long threads

Any comments and/or criticisms are welcome. There's alot of knowledge on these boards about these cockpits so I will be pestering everyone for advice and help over the next year....or two....or three.

cheers
    oota
    Last edited by oota goota; 20th September 2013, 06:10 PM.

Big job!

Good luck!

john

Comment

Originally posted by lexmark View Post
      Big job!

Good luck!

john

Thanks man! It's a labour of love and I've had a cool time so far

Comment

Shall be following this thread

I was going to do a similar thing to that actual machine years ago, but was offered a better (2nd) one so off it went to Ben

Ben did the same when his no. 2 came along

We preserved it, well done to you though, you are the restorer.

Let me know if you need help, it's a long road for us SW CP owners. There are hints of RAM control parts available from time to time via KLOV collectors (Yes like Narf said, never buy from RAM controls themselves) The scam was fake selling of star wars machines ironically

Guys sell yokes, or yoke rebuild kits

This guy is a good guy. He bought a lot of RAM controls gear prior to them doing the runner

Star Wars Category
        http://www.arcadefixit.com/category.sc?categoryId=16

All the best
        Last edited by dezbaz; 19th September 2013, 06:23 AM.
        Regards

Dez

DSB Electrical
        DSB Electrical Facebook
        VAPS
        Vector Monitor Repro Parts
        Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

Comment

Cheers dezbaz! I'm REALLY glad that you both hung on to this cockpit despite it's condition. For me there's so much information within each piece it's a fantastic starting point for a cockpit build.

I'm pretty happy with the early results I'm getting out of the panels so it will be a case of applying this process to each one

Greatly appreciate the offer of help I've no doubt I will get stuck along the way

Thanks for the link I'll add it to my list that's a great resource there

cheers
          oota

Comment

Good luck with the rebuild. There have been a few of us here that have tackled a Star Wars restoration, and a complete build from scratch (hoopstar). I would reconsider a MAME set up for this game myself, and try and locate a Vector monitor and PCB. Dez would be able to fix you up with the monitor PCB’s, and finding a suitable 25” tube shouldn’t be too difficult.

Keep the up-dates coming, as it’s always great to see another classic rise from the dead.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Comment

I agree with John. This much love and work it deserves original gear if you can get it. Really looking forward to this restore =)

Cheers,
              Brad
              My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

Great project, Love to see the final!

I thought for generic pieces of cab (ie Simple particle board with cutouts & vinyl) you'd be better of making a new piece rather than bogging up a badly damaged piece.
                There are two ways to look at this.
                1. It's original because it's using the original bit's of common construction material - So Bog it.
                2. The original never had wads of bog in it! Make a new piece of the same materials & design.

Originally posted by oota goota View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]55300[/ATTACH]
                the resin and bog makes it easy to get a hard edge with no risk of chipping

Comment

Originally posted by Johns-Arcade View Post
                  Good luck with the rebuild. There have been a few of us here that have tackled a Star Wars restoration, and a complete build from scratch (hoopstar). I would reconsider a MAME set up for this game myself, and try and locate a Vector monitor and PCB. Dez would be able to fix you up with the monitor PCB’s, and finding a suitable 25” tube shouldn’t be too difficult.

Keep the up-dates coming, as it’s always great to see another classic rise from the dead.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.
                  hey man yes thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep an open mind about MAME versus PCB. PCB makes more sense and 'legitimizes' the rebuild but I'm just playing to my strengths at this stage. I'll definintely take a closer look at this when I get further along with the cab. Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  I agree with John. This much love and work it deserves original gear if you can get it. Really looking forward to this restore =)

Cheers,
                  Brad
                  me too!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ozfalcon View Post
                  Great project, Love to see the final!

I thought for generic pieces of cab (ie Simple particle board with cutouts & vinyl) you'd be better of making a new piece rather than bogging up a badly damaged piece.
                  There are two ways to look at this.
                  1. It's original because it's using the original bit's of common construction material - So Bog it.
                  2. The original never had wads of bog in it! Make a new piece of the same materials & design.
                  hey ozfalcon yeah it's a tricky one. There are some pieces like the one I am working on that are very borderline keep/ chuck. I think it might be a percentage thing. If most of the panel is a replace/ restore job then probably better and cleaner to make from new. If it's just a few holes/ missing corners then better to keep it and restore. So that particular piece is right on the edge! however it does have quite a few features that made me want to try and keep it including: the slot in the middle and the top (for power leads?) and a wee wooden frame glued to the back, no idea what it's for.

So I guess I'm a bit more in camp #1 . I like a bit of patina on things....

thanks for the c & c
                  cheers
                  oota

Comment

Originally posted by oota goota View Post
                    hey man yes thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep an open mind about MAME versus PCB. PCB makes more sense and 'legitimizes' the rebuild but I'm just playing to my strengths at this stage. I'll definintely take a closer look at this when I get further along with the cab. Cheers!
                    As mentioned, there are quite a few of us here that can help with any technical issues you have. I guess the main issues I have with MAME, is once you complete your game, you may find you lose the motivation to convert it to vector. Plus running Star Wars on a raster display, just doesn't do this game justice. Of course, it all comes down to what you feel confident in doing. dezbaz has done a massive amount of work on sorting out the tech side (and repo side) of vector games and equipment. Just his web site alone has all the info you need. Making a harness from scratch is also straight forward with the info he has provided. I'm also happy to provide any advice on your re-build, as I basically re-built an empty cockpit myself a number of years back. I wouldn't be able to provide you with pictures (other than in my restore thread), as all my games are now in storage, but happy to help in any other way.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Comment

Good luck with the restore.

What polyester resin do you use? and what ratio of resin to bog?

Comment

These threads are why I come here. All the best with it.
                        The Pinny Parlour likes this post.

The Pinny Parlour Welcomes you to Aussie Arcade.

Comment

Originally posted by Johns-Arcade View Post
                          As mentioned, there are quite a few of us here that can help with any technical issues you have. I guess the main issues I have with MAME, is once you complete your game, you may find you lose the motivation to convert it to vector. Plus running Star Wars on a raster display, just doesn't do this game justice. Of course, it all comes down to what you feel confident in doing. dezbaz has done a massive amount of work on sorting out the tech side (and repo side) of vector games and equipment. Just his web site alone has all the info you need. Making a harness from scratch is also straight forward with the info he has provided. I'm also happy to provide any advice on your re-build, as I basically re-built an empty cockpit myself a number of years back. I wouldn't be able to provide you with pictures (other than in my restore thread), as all my games are now in storage, but happy to help in any other way.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

that's great thanks so much for the offer of help. I'll be sure to get in touch when I get to that stage. It's mainly getting my head around the specs and lingo of the PCB set up. A MAME set up seems to be easier for the lay-person to understand: game on hard drive, through graphics card, into usb analog interface, into analog yoke.

Buuuut I must say the more I think about it the more I like the idea of doing the cockpit properly. Thanks for the inspiration man!

Comment

Originally posted by harrysummer View Post
                            Good luck with the restore.

What polyester resin do you use? and what ratio of resin to bog?
                            Hey man just a generic brand from super cheap. It's all pretty much the same. Polyester uses MEKP for a catalyst. You would normally add about 2.5% MEKP to resin but I tend to ramp it up a bit to 3 or 4%. The extra mekp makes sure that the resin goes off properly and allows for the addition of bog.

resin to bog ratio is ummmmm about 2:1. Basically I just keep adding bog in to thicken it up but still allow it to be pourable. It's a neat trick and a nice finish Hope that helps
                            cheers
                            oota

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by The Pinny Parlour View Post
                            These threads are why I come here. All the best with it.
                            Thanks Pinny!

Comment

Nice Score Oota..

In terms of artwork, Rich from ThisOldGame is doing pretty much everything. 'Problem' is that I've been on the (paid) pre-order for well over a year and it's starting to get a bit frustrating having my money in someone elses bank account. Rich is a pretty stand up guy, so I don't think there'd be a problem but just thought I'd forewarn you

TOG's repro list

Side Art Set

Backglass

Control Panel Overlay

Yoke Overlay

I may also be repro'ing the canopy plexi so let me know if you're interested.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X